There are 229 users in the forums

Trade Bait 2015

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
We can give Boone an extension and move him to RT where he fits better and trade A.Davis for a 2nd or a early 3rd rd pick. The OT prospects of this years draft and FA is not so great so A.Davis has some value for trading and yet we keep Boone the better player of the two. IMO, Boone is better than A.Davis at Offensive Tackle by a mile. He's too tall to be a Guard and sometimes lose the battle of pad leverage due to his height at Guard, DTs and NTs are more lower to the ground than him. He has the height and length advantage going against DEs and OLBs on the outside.

I agree strongly with this. You could argue simply moving AD to the inside and Boone outside would be a huge improvement. AD could potentially be a truly elite guard (and his contract is somewhat reasonable). He will never be better than a strong run blocking tackle who is a liability in protection though. Boone is too tall to be inside. Every time he lines up outside he dominates. Granted it doesn't happen near enough.

You could argue he should be our LT and move Staley back to RT but either way it doesn't matter.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Feb 15, 2015 at 11:00 PM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Evilgenius:
We can give Boone an extension and move him to RT where he fits better and trade A.Davis for a 2nd or a early 3rd rd pick. The OT prospects of this years draft and FA is not so great so A.Davis has some value for trading and yet we keep Boone the better player of the two. IMO, Boone is better than A.Davis at Offensive Tackle by a mile. He's too tall to be a Guard and sometimes lose the battle of pad leverage due to his height at Guard, DTs and NTs are more lower to the ground than him. He has the height and length advantage going against DEs and OLBs on the outside.

I agree strongly with this. You could argue simply moving AD to the inside and Boone outside would be a huge improvement. AD could potentially be a truly elite guard (and his contract is somewhat reasonable). He will never be better than a strong run blocking tackle who is a liability in protection though. Boone is too tall to be inside. Every time he lines up outside he dominates. Granted it doesn't happen near enough.

You could argue he should be our LT and move Staley back to RT but either way it doesn't matter.

Ironically, I'd say last year, Davis was one of the better pass blockers.

But, that's kinda like saying he's the best tasting bite of a s**t sandwich.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

lol
Boone
Brooks

Those are the 2 obvious ones
Here's some key 49ers I believe Baalke tries to wheel and deal...

Vernon Davis: Traded for a 5th round draft pick or gets cut
Alex Boone: Traded for a 7th round draft pick or gets cut
Ahmad Brooks: Traded for a 6th round draft pick or gets cut

I'm hoping for the best, but this organization has given me NOTHING to look forward to. We are going to be $9 million over the cap with a gutted coaching staff, and a team with most of its starters over the age of 30. All these things set up the perfect storm for disaster.

I don't see us even making .500, so be prepared for a very bad season. I hope and prey I'm wrong, but history shows these situations very rarely work out.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vermonator:

I'm hoping for the best, but this organization has given me NOTHING to look forward to. We are going to be $9 million over the cap with a gutted coaching staff, and a team with most of its starters over the age of 30. All these things set up the perfect storm for disaster.

I don't see us even making .500, so be prepared for a very bad season. I hope and prey I'm wrong, but history shows these situations very rarely work out.

In bold would be my most likely scenario if a departure were to occur. And Brooks WILL get cut.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

what is your plan for replacing davis? if the answer is vance, then i need some sort of pill. one bad year. the man has built up enough good will with his play to allow us to give him a break in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

wow,, how do you make it through the day with an outlook like that.. we have alot of youth and i am more than willing to have a open mind about our new coaches, looking forward to a fresh start for everyone without all those dark clouds of distraction from last year hanging over out team,, housed in one locker room
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Not to mention Boone is our best swing tackle

That's why I think they won't trade Boone. I see Thomas and Martin as guards with Kilgore in the middle and Boone as the swing man. He's done real well filling in for Staley.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
Thoughts on trading Corey Lemonier? Hasn't done much and got beat out by a rookie. Could get a 6th or 7th round pick maybe?

If we got a 7th for Cam Johnson I can see us getting a 6th for Lemonier....maybe

My thoughts exactly.

I have had similar thoughts with regards to the bolded. Moving AD inside and Boone out to OT would be the best for both of their careers. AD going to guard reminds me of when Leonard Davis got pushed inside. He became a stud at G after many years of being an average Tackle.
Originally posted by Geeked:
Ironically, I'd say last year, Davis was one of the better pass blockers.

But, that's kinda like saying he's the best tasting bite of a s**t sandwich.

LOL!
I say we should trade Brooks, Vernon, and maybe Boone. O-line could be Staley,Marcus Martin,Kilgore,Thomas,Davis. Looney as backup guard, cut Jonathans sorry ass, and draft a young tackle, plus we have the other guy who's name escapes me now already on the roster, i believe Bykowski?.
Go after Cameron from browns to replace Vernon, Hope that this is the year Vance shows up, and we already have Lynch to step in for Boone, draft another OLB, which Baalke seems to be good at.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I would rather keep them.

All three of them have been decent starters. Starters are worth more than late draft picks.

The dead money we would get with trading or cutting Brooks and Davis would, or could, create problems.

Davis may well have had a back and a bad back could easily lead to having an unproductive year.

Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by English:
I like Brooks but I can't see teams trading for him with that contract. I think most GMs will assume we will have to cut him and they can deal direct.

This. And disagree on trading Boone, don't want to lose both starting guards

Boone is WAYYYY underrated in the Zone.

He ALSO can be move to either tackle position and play at a competent level.
Share 49ersWebzone