LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 143 users in the forums

Worst RB 49er transition ever

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Worst RB 49er transition ever

Originally posted by 49erFan816:
Originally posted by Niners816:
1991 was a Hail Mary away at Atlanta from being the hottest team in the playoffs. Would have been 11-5, and dominated the 11-5 bears 52-14 in the regular season finale. There is not an nfc team that wanted to play that 1991 squad down the stretch.

That team almost went 12-4 and possibly could have been the #2 seed in the playoffs if not for 2 close losses to Atlanta and New Orleans.

I had mentioned that eailer. 1991's worst loss was a 10-3 loss at NO. They had two other losses by a FG and lost the season opener to NYG by 2. So close, to winning a title. Honestly you could argue that the two best nfc teams missed the playoffs (SF & Philly). Philly lost Cunningham in the opener and went thru like 5-6 qbs and still went 10-6 because the defense led the league in almost everything. The only gave up like 3500 total yards. However, we beat that team in Philly 23-7. 1991 was definitely a lost title.
I had mentioned that eailer. 1991's worst loss was a 10-3 loss at NO. They had two other losses by a FG and lost the season opener to NYG by 2. So close, to winning a title. Honestly you could argue that the two best nfc teams missed the playoffs (SF & Philly). Philly lost Cunningham in the opener and went thru like 5-6 qbs and still went 10-6 because the defense led the league in almost everything. The only gave up like 3500 total yards. However, we beat that team in Philly 23-7. 1991 was definitely a lost title.

Think they could have beaten the Redskins? Those 91 Redskins were awesome.

I honestly do think they would have. They beat the Redskins in both '90 & '92 in the playoffs. I have a lot of respect for that skins team, but that 1991 niner team was crazy hot down the stretch. I really wish they would have gotten a chance.

They could have been beaten.
I honestly do think they would have. They beat the Redskins in both '90 & '92 in the playoffs. I have a lot of respect for that skins team, but that 1991 niner team was crazy hot down the stretch. I really wish they would have gotten a chance.

Well the thing is that they barely beat the redskins in 92 and 90 the Redskins were in the redzone a couple of times but Rypien got intercepted those 2 times in the end zone.

Niners were hot but the Redskins were dominant. Would have been something if they did meet up.
Originally posted by cciowa:
delvin williams/ wilbur jackson to oj

Still hurts...but at least the Niners got Freddie Solomon for Williams.

Well the thing is that they barely beat the redskins in 92 and 90 the Redskins were in the redzone a couple of times but Rypien got intercepted those 2 times in the end zone.

Niners were hot but the Redskins were dominant. Would have been something if they did meet up.

They definitely where a great team, but I'm also pretty sure they were glad to miss both us and philly in the playoffs. They did get two teams (ATL & Det) they dominated in the regular season. But I give that skins team a ton of respect, they have one of the best point diffs of all time.
They definitely where a great team, but I'm also pretty sure they were glad to miss both us and philly in the playoffs. They did get two teams (ATL & Det) they dominated in the regular season. But I give that skins team a ton of respect, they have one of the best point diffs of all time.

they were an underrated dominant team. I am a Rypien fan. Have his 6 TD game on dvd. Also like Erick Kramer and the 91 Lions.

The Saints in that span get overlooked and they had one of the greatest linebacking cores of all time.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigbobby49:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Ever since I started watching football back in 1981, there were only 3 RBs in my opinion that coulda played WR had they wanted to..

1) Ricky Watters
2) Marshall Faulk
3) Marcus Allen

The Johnny Johnson (ex-Phoenix) era, was and will always be Bill Walsh worst move ever..

uh...Lawrence Phillips?

My first thought exactly.

Lawrence Phillips was a joke. He get's strong consideration, also.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 6, 2015 at 9:40 PM ]
they were an underrated dominant team. I am a Rypien fan. Have his 6 TD game on dvd. Also like Erick Kramer and the 91 Lions.

The Saints in that span get overlooked and they had one of the greatest linebacking cores of all time.

Honestly, playing New Orleans in that dome with that defense was louder and scarier than the current Seattle team, IMO. That 3-4 was just nasty and that dome always rocked.

I also don't know why that skins team gets underrated. It's has all the statistical measurables.

Honestly, playing New Orleans in that dome with that defense was louder and scarier than the current Seattle team, IMO. That 3-4 was just nasty and that dome always rocked.

I also don't know why that skins team gets underrated. It's has all the statistical measurables.

IDK why. They had players who played on other dominant teams like Wilber Marshall from the 85 Bears and Matt Millen from the early 80s Raiders and the 89 49ers.
I'd take Derek Loville over Kevin Barlows worthless ass any day.
Originally posted by English:
Clue: Loville.

/end thread

He was the very definition of "replaceable."
Originally posted by 9moon:
Ever since I started watching football back in 1981, there were only 3 RBs in my opinion that coulda played WR had they wanted to..

1) Ricky Watters
2) Marshall Faulk
3) Marcus Allen

The Johnny Johnson (ex-Phoenix) era, was and will always be Bill Walsh worst move ever..

I don't understand how someone who is, apparently, a 49ers fan since 1981 can say this. Who was the first running back to do 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 yards receiving in the same season?

With Roger Craig it was not a question that he COULD have played wide receiver had he wanted to. He DID play wide receiver. He was one of the main reasons why we were perceived to have so many weapons at that time.
Lovelle was probably our worst starting RB ever.

And he started a lot of games iirc.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 7, 2015 at 1:48 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone