If Justin Smith retires this year, then DE's is what we need to focus on from the draft, or FA.
But otherwise, I'd say another WR, Bye Crabtree!
I like the Depth at OL, we got potential there, but I'm sure they'll draft OL.
I say bring in a QB who isn't terrible, can compete with KAP.
then Defensively, we just need DE's, and a solid CB core.
We really don't need much, just the right coaching and schemes.
There are 622 users in the forums
2015 Team Needs
Jan 2, 2015 at 7:12 AM
- NinerDreamer11
- Member
- Posts: 2,660
Jan 2, 2015 at 7:13 AM
- NCommand
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 123,365
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
If Justin Smith retires this year, then DE's is what we need to focus on from the draft, or FA.
But otherwise, I'd say another WR, Bye Crabtree!
I like the Depth at OL, we got potential there, but I'm sure they'll draft OL.
I say bring in a QB who isn't terrible, can compete with KAP.
then Defensively, we just need DE's, and a solid CB core.
We really don't need much, just the right coaching and schemes.
I couldn't agree more!
Jan 2, 2015 at 7:19 AM
- DeUh
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,006
Complete San Francisco 49ers 2015 NFL Draft Class / Scouting Reports
1st Pick Arik Armstead Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182237-welcome-newest-49er-1st-round-pick-arik-armstead/page34/#post510
2nd Pick Jaquiski Tartt Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182250-welcome-newest-49ers-jaquiski-tartt/page12/#post169
3rd Pick Eli Harold Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182252-welcome-newest-49er-eli-harold/page6/#post78
4th Pick Blake Bell Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182264-welcome-newest-49er-blake-bell/page3/#post39
5th Pick Mike Davis Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182266-welcome-newest-49er-mike-davis/page2/#post28
6th Pick DeAndre Smelter Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182269-welcome-newest-49er-deandre-smelter/page4/#post48
7th Pick Bradley Pinion Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182274-welcome-newest-49er-bradley-pinion/page4/#post57
8th Pick Ian Silberman Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182276-welcome-newest-49er-ian-silberman/#post15
9th Pick Trenton Brown Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182310-welcome-newest-49er-trenton-brown/#post1
10th Pick Rory Anderson Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182285-welcome-newest-49ers-rory-busta-anderson/#post2
1st Pick Arik Armstead Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182237-welcome-newest-49er-1st-round-pick-arik-armstead/page34/#post510
2nd Pick Jaquiski Tartt Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182250-welcome-newest-49ers-jaquiski-tartt/page12/#post169
3rd Pick Eli Harold Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182252-welcome-newest-49er-eli-harold/page6/#post78
4th Pick Blake Bell Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182264-welcome-newest-49er-blake-bell/page3/#post39
5th Pick Mike Davis Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182266-welcome-newest-49er-mike-davis/page2/#post28
6th Pick DeAndre Smelter Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182269-welcome-newest-49er-deandre-smelter/page4/#post48
7th Pick Bradley Pinion Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182274-welcome-newest-49er-bradley-pinion/page4/#post57
8th Pick Ian Silberman Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182276-welcome-newest-49er-ian-silberman/#post15
9th Pick Trenton Brown Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182310-welcome-newest-49er-trenton-brown/#post1
10th Pick Rory Anderson Scouting Report
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182285-welcome-newest-49ers-rory-busta-anderson/#post2
[ Edited by DeUh on May 4, 2015 at 9:59 AM ]
Jan 2, 2015 at 8:04 AM
- NCommand
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 123,365
Originally posted by DeUh:
LMAO!
Jan 2, 2015 at 8:32 AM
- LasVegasWally
- Veteran
- Posts: 24,887
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:
If Justin Smith retires this year, then DE's is what we need to focus on from the draft, or FA.
But otherwise, I'd say another WR, Bye Crabtree!
I like the Depth at OL, we got potential there, but I'm sure they'll draft OL.
I say bring in a QB who isn't terrible, can compete with KAP.
then Defensively, we just need DE's, and a solid CB core.
We really don't need much, just the right coaching and schemes.
I couldn't agree more!
With you guys on that.
I'd also look at an experienced QB like Orton was for Buffalo. Obviously a guy who'd fit our NEW system.
Jan 2, 2015 at 8:46 AM
- lamontb
- Veteran
- Posts: 33,335
I honestly wouldn't mind a good d lineman FA signing if Cowboy retires to go along with a draft pick. And if he doesn't retire I still see it as a priority position. Probably at #5 on your list. Especially running the 3-4. Tank and Dial are still question marks. Dorsey and Williams coming off major injuries. Not to mention Dorsey had one solid year at NT but he's struggled their most of his career and was better at DE. .
So if Boone is LT and Staley is RT where is Davis? Would you put him at guard or cap casualty?
CB could be tricky like. I think it's either going to be Cox or Culliver. I hope it's Cox.
Good work
So if Boone is LT and Staley is RT where is Davis? Would you put him at guard or cap casualty?
CB could be tricky like. I think it's either going to be Cox or Culliver. I hope it's Cox.
Good work
Jan 2, 2015 at 9:07 AM
- NCommand
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 123,365
Originally posted by lamontb:
I honestly wouldn't mind a good d lineman FA signing if Cowboy retires to go along with a draft pick. And if he doesn't retire I still see it as a priority position. Probably at #5 on your list. Especially running the 3-4. Tank and Dial are still question marks. Dorsey and Williams coming off major injuries. Not to mention Dorsey had one solid year at NT but he's struggled their most of his career and was better at DE. .
So if Boone is LT and Staley is RT where is Davis? Would you put him at guard or cap casualty?
CB could be tricky like. I think it's either going to be Cox or Culliver. I hope it's Cox.
Good work
Excellent perspective. Updated the OP.
And yes, Davis would slide inside to be our power G (can is also athletic enough to to pull, block down field, etc.). He already got "paid" so this shouldn't be a big issue unless HE views RG as a demotion (which I would doubt).
Jan 2, 2015 at 9:12 AM
- HearstFan
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,734
Agree with most - EXCEPT Anthony Davis at RT is not just a plodder, he is highly athletic. The problem with the OL is coaching/scheme, not talent. The OL sucked when Solari coached it under Nolan and Sing, was good when Trevno was co-OL coach, and sucked again when Trevno left, leaving Solari back in charge.
1. Cox would be my priority res-signing
2. Bye to Crabs
3. Bye to Iupati because someone will way overpay for him - we have Brandon Thomas in the wings from last year's draft.
#1 Draft priority - big bodied receiver - a la Mike Evans or Benjamin from 2014 draft - they had big impacts on their teams.
1. Cox would be my priority res-signing
2. Bye to Crabs
3. Bye to Iupati because someone will way overpay for him - we have Brandon Thomas in the wings from last year's draft.
#1 Draft priority - big bodied receiver - a la Mike Evans or Benjamin from 2014 draft - they had big impacts on their teams.
Jan 2, 2015 at 9:23 AM
- NCommand
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 123,365
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Agree with most - EXCEPT Anthony Davis at RT is not just a plodder, he is highly athletic. The problem with the OL is coaching/scheme, not talent. The OL sucked when Solari coached it under Nolan and Sing, was good when Trevno was co-OL coach, and sucked again when Trevno left, leaving Solari back in charge.
1. Cox would be my priority res-signing
2. Bye to Crabs
3. Bye to Iupati because someone will way overpay for him - we have Brandon Thomas in the wings from last year's draft.
#1 Draft priority - big bodied receiver - a la Mike Evans or Benjamin from 2014 draft - they had big impacts on their teams.
I think some, like myself, were under the impression we might be moving to a more WCO zone blocking scheme and therefore, we might see some adjustments along the OL (most athletic T's, great pulling G's, agile C, etc.). We'll see but I do expect a different lineup than what we've seen in the past. Another posted noted that Solari is actually a very good zone blocking OL coach and the power running game as not his forte. So, that's another one to keep an eye on.
Jan 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM
- theduke85
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,745
What are the downsides of a zone-blocking scheme? Why don't more teams use it? It sounds like such a great idea in practice, but there has to be a reason that it's not implemented more.
Jan 2, 2015 at 9:31 AM
- leakyfausett
- Veteran
- Posts: 12,665
I might add that I expect a couple of compensatory picks for overall loss/gain. One could very well be very high if Iupati gets the kind of money he will be looking for.
Jan 2, 2015 at 9:54 AM
- MRNINESEVEN
- Veteran
- Posts: 10,730
Major Needs:
DB depth: Brock couldn't stay healthy, nor Ward, Reid's concussion issue should be a concern, lot's of rookies got PT this yr (lots of room to grow), gotta lock up Culliver. Cox is decent, but not much to get excited about. Dahl will be gone (thank you) so a replacement will be needed. I think Donte Johnson should be moved back to safety, he just doesn't have the recovery speed
DL depth: Big worry spot here. Williams can't stay healthy (bad breaks / no pun intended), Smith may retire, Ray Mac gone, Dorsey (can he stay healthy with age), Dial & Tank are very very raw. This is a huge need. We saw this yr the lack of pass rush & sacks, granted injuries & suspensions didn't help.
WR: for the love of God can we draft a WR that can stretch the field?!?! Crabtree will be gone (no way can I see us paying his overrated-injured ass)
DB depth: Brock couldn't stay healthy, nor Ward, Reid's concussion issue should be a concern, lot's of rookies got PT this yr (lots of room to grow), gotta lock up Culliver. Cox is decent, but not much to get excited about. Dahl will be gone (thank you) so a replacement will be needed. I think Donte Johnson should be moved back to safety, he just doesn't have the recovery speed
DL depth: Big worry spot here. Williams can't stay healthy (bad breaks / no pun intended), Smith may retire, Ray Mac gone, Dorsey (can he stay healthy with age), Dial & Tank are very very raw. This is a huge need. We saw this yr the lack of pass rush & sacks, granted injuries & suspensions didn't help.
WR: for the love of God can we draft a WR that can stretch the field?!?! Crabtree will be gone (no way can I see us paying his overrated-injured ass)
Jan 2, 2015 at 9:57 AM
- NCommand
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 123,365
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I might add that I expect a couple of compensatory picks for overall loss/gain. One could very well be very high if Iupati gets the kind of money he will be looking for.
Great point!
Jan 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM
- HearstFan
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,734
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Agree with most - EXCEPT Anthony Davis at RT is not just a plodder, he is highly athletic. The problem with the OL is coaching/scheme, not talent. The OL sucked when Solari coached it under Nolan and Sing, was good when Trevno was co-OL coach, and sucked again when Trevno left, leaving Solari back in charge.
1. Cox would be my priority res-signing
2. Bye to Crabs
3. Bye to Iupati because someone will way overpay for him - we have Brandon Thomas in the wings from last year's draft.
#1 Draft priority - big bodied receiver - a la Mike Evans or Benjamin from 2014 draft - they had big impacts on their teams.
I think some, like myself, were under the impression we might be moving to a more WCO zone blocking scheme and therefore, we might see some adjustments along the OL (most athletic T's, great pulling G's, agile C, etc.). We'll see but I do expect a different lineup than what we've seen in the past. Another posted noted that Solari is actually a very good zone blocking OL coach and the power running game as not his forte. So, that's another one to keep an eye on.
Interesting point - thank you. But if you look at each OL individually, they don't seem to be plodders per se:
LT Staley - considered a bit undersized, but highly athletic and mobile
LG Iupatis - although big and strong, also considered to have excellent mobility and an excellent pulling guard.
C Martin / ? - honestly, not sure how to characterize our new centers
RG Boone - has a tackle frame, but is stiff, so is back-up tackle caliber; although performs well, not an ideal guard either for leverage or movement. But does seem ability to get to the second level for blocking ok.
RT Davis - excellent athlete, size to play strong-side running blocker on right, but I think he is a more natural LT, but what do I know.
Redshirt Rookie Brandon Thomas - projected as a Tackle, but also considered to have excellent qualities for guard. Wonder if he may be tall for a guard like Boone.
So MAYBE the issue is/was that the OL is actually more apt for a mobile / zone scheme rather than a power run scheme?? I think with the right coach and with the level of athleticism and experience along our OL, they should be capable of either scheme.
