LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 122 users in the forums

Week 12 - 2014: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
Coaching does matter. Especially in young developing players. Vernon had been a pro long enough to know how to catch the ball and he is dropping way to many passes. He has been around long enough to know how to run a hook on 3rd down. He is way off this season and I doubt the problem with him is coaching. We have coaching problems but the same coaches were in place last season when he caught about 13 TD's and 800 yards and had a very good season.

Ronald Curry is currently coaching the O-Line, and Devreno is at USC, so there has been changes to the coaching staff on the offensive side. None of the young TE's - ie Vance - has shown much progress, and so I think Coaching is a part of the problem. Is it a big part of the problem? Well if your veteran TE *and* your young top draft pick TE is under producing, it can't be all on the players. The drastic drop in production can't all be blamed on injuries - in my opinion. I think coaching is a problem. Mangenius, at best isn't helping develop and improve the TE squad, and at worst, he's regressing the TE's.
It may have a big effect on Mcdonald but I doubt that is the reason for the huge drop off when it comes to Davis.

that was my point.
Football is an emotional game, kap led the team to a win. Was it pretty no. Should they have scored more yes. But we had three turnovers and still won the game. Kap had 1 turnover and our running game had 2.

As far as kap been playing he's been pretty good this season. The problem is that he's being compared to two hall of famers, give the guy a break. The offense has underperformed this year. But the line. The dropped passes. Vd in a funk. Thank god for boldin.

I have no problem with celebrating a td. Stupid celebrating is what Vernon used to do when he made a first down.

Let's hope they bring the a game against the hawks!
Ronald Curry is currently coaching the O-Line, and Devreno is at USC, so there has been changes to the coaching staff on the offensive side. None of the young TE's - ie Vance - has shown much progress, and so I think Coaching is a part of the problem. Is it a big part of the problem? Well if your veteran TE *and* your young top draft pick TE is under producing, it can't be all on the players. The drastic drop in production can't all be blamed on injuries - in my opinion. I think coaching is a problem. Mangenius, at best isn't helping develop and improve the TE squad, and at worst, he's regressing the TE's.

Yup that and poor scheme. VMcD continues to never be used in the passing game. Carrier. Granted, injuries certainly have played a part but then why were they not used last year either? If a rookie drops a pass or fumbles do you know what other coaches do? They go right back to him and build his confidence! Not us. We relegate him to blocking all year and now his back is giving out.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yup that and poor scheme. VMcD continues to never be used in the passing game. Carrier. Granted, injuries certainly have played a part but then why were they not used last year either? If a rookie drops a pass or fumbles do you know what other coaches do? They go right back to him and build his confidence! Not us. We relegate him to blocking all year and now his back is giving out.
On the run plays, I think the scheme is solid, the personnel is suited to the scheme. Power running and very powerful man blockers that can also block zone. I think where you are frustrated is simply the scheme doesn't fit the personnel on the passing side. Slow WR's for a vertical offense and a rocket armed QB? Clearly it's off. These are square pegs in a round hole. Now our WR's Bouldin, Crabs, Stevie and Lloyd are wonderful WCO WR's and I think they need to go west coast scheme, and to a very big extent they have done so. The Crabs NY Giants TD and the Anquan 4rth QTR catch with the Deadskins show me that is so. These weren't vertical routes, but rather shorter WCO routes that are timing routes rather than vertical speed routes.

So I have high hopes that as they go to a more timing based change of direction offense - the passing offense itself will become more productive. But to develop those timing routes takes time and repetitions - remember a lot of these routes are sight adjustment routes depending on the coverage, fronts, down and distance. So all the players have a lot to work on for even just *one* play.

The good news is that they are progressing. Not as fast as we all like, but they are indeed progressing. Buck's stats say so!

On the run plays, I think the scheme is solid, the personnel is suited to the scheme. Power running and very powerful man blockers that can also block zone. I think where you are frustrated is simply the scheme doesn't fit the personnel on the passing side. Slow WR's for a vertical offense and a rocket armed QB? Clearly it's off. These are square pegs in a round hole. Now our WR's Bouldin, Crabs, Stevie and Lloyd are wonderful WCO WR's and I think they need to go west coast scheme, and to a very big extent they have done so. The Crabs NY Giants TD and the Anquan 4rth QTR catch with the Deadskins show me that is so. These weren't vertical routes, but rather shorter WCO routes that are timing routes rather than vertical speed routes.

So I have high hopes that as they go to a more timing based change of direction offense - the passing offense itself will become more productive. But to develop those timing routes takes time and repetitions - remember a lot of these routes are sight adjustment routes depending on the coverage, fronts, down and distance. So all the players have a lot to work on for even just *one* play.

The good news is that they are progressing. Not as fast as we all like, but they are indeed progressing. Buck's stats say so!

Calling a WCO passing design isn't the same as it being your passing foundation OR them being run with WCO principles. The first tell-tale sign is that all these passes are from the shot gun formation. Basically this offense is what it is and has been the past 3 years. It's not changing or evolving and like you noted, almost counter productive to the epic personnel we have. That's just my thoughts in a nutshell on the scheme, playbook itself, and game planning. Can we still win with the individual talent alone? On will? Of course. But at some point you need HaRoman to out scheme and outsmart a quality DC, exploit weaknesses and utilize our personnel to the best of our abilities. Do you have faith in that? Despite having 5 1,000 receivers, VD, McDonald, Carrier, Gore, Hyde, etc. we remain a very poor offense. And that's not even debatable. If you have faith like Roman, God bless you! That said I'd be STOKED if we were wrong!
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 27, 2014 at 10:52 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Calling a WCO passing design isn't the same as it being your passing foundation OR them being run with WCO principles. The first tell-tale sign is that all these passes are from the shot gun formation. Basically this offense is what it is and has been the past 3 years. It's not changing or evolving and like you noted, almost counter productive to the epic personnel we have. That's just my thoughts in a nutshell on the scheme, playbook itself, and game planning. Can we still win with the individual talent alone? On will? Of course. But at some point you need HaRoman to out scheme and outsmart a quality DC, exploit weaknesses and utilize our personnel to the best of our abilities. Do you have faith in that? Despite having 5 1,000 receivers, VD, McDonald, Carrier, Gore, Hyde, etc. we remain a very poor offense. And that's not even debatable. If you have faith like Roman, God bless you! That said I'd be STOKED if we were wrong!

I'd be *more* than stoked if you were wrong.

Keep in mind the WCO starts with the feet of the QB and the timing of the drop back to the WR's cutting or hitching as the case may be. So the WCO *starts* with the QB. Scheme comes with the *kind* of QB you have. Do you have an Elway, Ken Anderson, Montana, Young, Bret Farve or something else? All these guys had differing talent and abilities, various degrees of mobility and arm strength. The WCO is flexible enough to incorporate all sorts of abilities, and it was originally designed for a QB that didn't have a massive amount of arm strength in the first place.

So the question you are asking is why is it that for the past 3 Harbaugh years, we've had such a lack of production and efficency in our passing offense. I say just look at the QB. First year we had a QB that was still learning the system. The 2nd year we had a brand new rookie QB that was in a funky offense that was not an under center offense that the WCO is based on. The 3rd year, our number 1 WR goes down and all we had were two pass catchers. The 4rth year, the center is brand new - twice. Once at the beginning of the year and then at the middle of the year. All that affects the QB. You can look at that as Kaep-excuses, and I'm actually ok with that. We'll just agree to disagree.

But my point is that the WCO starts with the QB. The QB is still a work in progress. Even the great Aaron Rogers (who is very mobile) took time to learn being a good QB. So while I agree that the scheme doesn't fit our personnel on the passing side, that's not the entire picture either, in my opinion.

I'd be *more* than stoked if you were wrong.

Keep in mind the WCO starts with the feet of the QB and the timing of the drop back to the WR's cutting or hitching as the case may be. So the WCO *starts* with the QB. Scheme comes with the *kind* of QB you have. Do you have an Elway, Ken Anderson, Montana, Young, Bret Farve or something else? All these guys had differing talent and abilities, various degrees of mobility and arm strength. The WCO is flexible enough to incorporate all sorts of abilities, and it was originally designed for a QB that didn't have a massive amount of arm strength in the first place.

So the question you are asking is why is it that for the past 3 Harbaugh years, we've had such a lack of production and efficency in our passing offense. I say just look at the QB. First year we had a QB that was still learning the system. The 2nd year we had a brand new rookie QB that was in a funky offense that was not an under center offense that the WCO is based on. The 3rd year, our number 1 WR goes down and all we had were two pass catchers. The 4rth year, the center is brand new - twice. Once at the beginning of the year and then at the middle of the year. All that affects the QB. You can look at that as Kaep-excuses, and I'm actually ok with that. We'll just agree to disagree.

But my point is that the WCO starts with the QB. The QB is still a work in progress. Even the great Aaron Rogers (who is very mobile) took time to learn being a good QB. So while I agree that the scheme doesn't fit our personnel on the passing side, that's not the entire picture either, in my opinion.

Think you might be a bit backwards there. First you come to the team with a WCO foundation. Then you draft a QB who fits it. Drafting CK should have been a pretty good indicator we don't run a WCO system here. 3 years later we still aren't. Soooo how does CK make this imaginary WCO work again?
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Marvin just took the WZ to school.

Of course, you realize you are now going to be accused of thinking Kaepernick is better than Joe Montana, simply because you made some basic, grade school level observations.
He didn't take anyone to school. Just made a comparison that won't impress anyone who knows anything about Young's start in the NFL or looks it up and applies something called common sense. Also knowing comparing NFL quarterback statistics 25 years apart only makes sense to those trying to project Kap as a pro bowler instead of the C+ grade QB he is. Young's 1 to 1 td to int ratio in his first 4 years was split between one of the worst teams in the NFL, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who had close to the lowest payroll in the league and bottom 5 defense where he had 11 tds and 21 picks, to the 49ers one of the better teams where he had 13 tds and 3 interceptions. Also as horrid as 24-24 seems the league average was a 1.13 to 1 in 1987, the ratio was 1.61 to 1 in 2012. Miraculously Young's td-int ratio went from .524 to 4.33 to 1 going from Tampa Bay to S.F. Where as Steve Young could not have started playing NFL quarterback in a much worse situation than he did, Colin Kaepernick could not have picked a much better one.

Dunno if a I've ever seen such a stellar example of completely missing the point.

The point is that STEVE YOUNG wasn't Steve Young when he first arrived. He drove people crazy by running, not letting plays develop, and having happy feet. I'm old enough that I watched it all live.

I remember people HATING him because he wasn't Joe Montana. He was also FAR from a finished product when he arrived in SF. He also got to sit and watch Joe do it and didn't start his first full season in SF until his EIGHTH NFL season.

Different eras? Well of course they are. Colin has a better career QB rating than Joe Montana. That doesn't mean I think he's better than Joe.

The entire point of the exercise was to say HAVE SOME FREAKIN' PATIENCE. Colin is progressing...but its gonna take time. Stop thinking he's a finished product. He is on a pretty good career trajectory so stop acting like he has to be Joe Montana right now. Hell, Joe didn't have a rating over 90 till his 5th NFL season (yes, different era...illustrating a point).

PATIENCE. He's improving, but mobile QBs are always slower to develop in the pocket. RELAX.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 27, 2014 at 12:15 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Think you might be a bit backwards there. First you come to the team with a WCO foundation. Then you draft a QB who fits it. Drafting CK should have been a pretty good indicator we don't run a WCO system here. 3 years later we still aren't. Soooo how does CK make this imaginary WCO work again?

A vertical passing attack still uses WCO timing principles. It's just attacking a different area of the field than a WCO. The father of vertical attacks, in my opinion, was Al Davis. He was a student of Sid Gilman who was the father of the timed passing offense. Al attacked from the short, to shallow, to deep. WCO attacks from left to right. (Or vica versa) but the point is it attacks the short to midrange from the LOS.

Harbaugh has a pretty well developed passing attack prior to becoming the HC of the 49ers, in my opinion. He's had extensive experience in the Tom Landry Motion offense under Ditka, the Infante sight adjustment offense (I think that was when he was with the colts), and of course the WCO with Seifert. Trestman was Jim's superior while coaching QB's under Calahan who coached under Gruden. Trestman has deep roots in the WCO with Seifert.

The point I'm making is that Harbaugh *has* the WCO foundations, the principles, the plays in his possession already way before he drafted Colin. Drafting Colin - the issue was *development.* A guy like Luck or Wilson were already *developed.* So going back to the WCO passing foundations beginning with the QB, Colin is still under development. A guy like Colin has the raw physical skills to work in *any* offense. He'd be at home in Terry Bradshaw's offense, or in Shannahans one cut and go offense, or in Walsh's offense - *after* he's been developed. The problem currently is he's still under *development.* Hence my point is that the WCO starts with the QB. The last 3 years we've had inconsistent passing offenses because of the *QB* being in development and not yet a finished product. The vision is that Colin can be an Aaron Rodgers. He's still a long way from that right now, but he's moving in that direction at, in my opinion, in an unprecedented pace for a freakishly talented guy.

A vertical passing attack still uses WCO timing principles. It's just attacking a different area of the field than a WCO. The father of vertical attacks, in my opinion, was Al Davis. He was a student of Sid Gilman who was the father of the timed passing offense. Al attacked from the short, to shallow, to deep. WCO attacks from left to right. (Or vica versa) but the point is it attacks the short to midrange from the LOS.

Harbaugh has a pretty well developed passing attack prior to becoming the HC of the 49ers, in my opinion. He's had extensive experience in the Tom Landry Motion offense under Ditka, the Infante sight adjustment offense (I think that was when he was with the colts), and of course the WCO with Seifert. Trestman was Jim's superior while coaching QB's under Calahan who coached under Gruden. Trestman has deep roots in the WCO with Seifert.

The point I'm making is that Harbaugh *has* the WCO foundations, the principles, the plays in his possession already way before he drafted Colin. Drafting Colin - the issue was *development.* A guy like Luck or Wilson were already *developed.* So going back to the WCO passing foundations beginning with the QB, Colin is still under development. A guy like Colin has the raw physical skills to work in *any* offense. He'd be at home in Terry Bradshaw's offense, or in Shannahans one cut and go offense, or in Walsh's offense - *after* he's been developed. The problem currently is he's still under *development.* Hence my point is that the WCO starts with the QB. The last 3 years we've had inconsistent passing offenses because of the *QB* being in development and not yet a finished product. The vision is that Colin can be an Aaron Rodgers. He's still a long way from that right now, but he's moving in that direction at, in my opinion, in an unprecedented pace for a freakishly talented guy.

"Timing" being the operative word (which is pretty much alleviated from shotgun formation). WCO does have several deeper route designs (post pattern) but they are NOT the foundation of an entire passing game (or offensive philosophy) and the result is us going backwards on first downs often. In fact, typical WCO designs have a high-low route combination built in most often...first, check the high primary receiver, the secondary, then the TE and then the check-down and all be available at different periods in the play and progression-reads, most designed to get the ball out under 3 seconds and all timed to the QB's drop-backs from under C (3-5-7 step drops). If this was a WCO, first downs would be a top priority focus. RB's would play a significant part in the passing game, as would TE's. The TE's would rarely, if ever used as "deep threats" but more as outlets for the QB if the primary receiver wasn't available, they'd find more soft zones and go (ala Vance McDonald vs. Davis), etc. Most designs are focused on the easiest passes for the QB which focus more on the middle of the field...we rely on intermediate-deeper passes to the sidelines and several go-routes all running patterns at the same distance with an all-or-nothing mentality so often and very low %. The WCO is high %. The short game is rarely emphasized as a primary target and even if used, the RB is often times used to BLOCK downfield for CK vs. being an actual pass catching outlet option. Our OL is built more for power runs (Bo Schemblacher) and the FB is sparingly used. Just about any way you slice it, this is the Anti-WCO and CK couldn't have been more Anti-WCO when he was drafted (re: skill set and strengths and experience).

Yes, overall, over the years, Roman has built a playbook that we all call the "hodge podge" offense which basically means, it's a conglomerate of 5,000 different play designs from 12 dozen types of offenses including the ones he added specifically for CK re: the Pistol from a mentorship he did just after we drafted CK. HaRoman have been trying to build an offense around CK's big arm, scrambling ability when that intermediate-deeper one-read isn't there, his ad lib abilities, etc. The problem is, each week it's essentially a brand new offense installed...but one with no real foundation. Our offense does not seem like a precision, fine-tuned machine that has been practiced to perfection. It seems like most of the time they barely have time to install the new offense each week.

This may be the source of many of our offensive philosophy-differences and personally, that's totally cool. Now that I understand where you're coming from (WCO with a QB-centric offense), your comments make more sense.

I agree that CK is still a work in progress but in a non-QB-centric offense (200 yards passing a game) and the limited number of passes we actually run per game compared to others, he's growing at a much slower rate which would be expected and more importantly, what is he growing into? What IS the foundation of this offensive system? Are HaRoman trying to train him to be a better two-read PA QB with good athleticism in our intermediate-deeper sideline passing game to compliment (200 yards) a power running game (hence Hyde over a top-notch WR)?

Either way, let's not derail this thread too much more. PM. It's time to focus on the "other" family right now. Happy Thanksgiving Geidi!

"Timing" being the operative word (which is pretty much alleviated from shotgun formation). WCO does have several deeper route designs (post pattern) but they are NOT the foundation of an entire passing game (or offensive philosophy) and the result is us going backwards on first downs often. In fact, typical WCO designs have a high-low route combination built in most often...first, check the high primary receiver, the secondary, then the TE and then the check-down and all be available at different periods in the play and progression-reads, most designed to get the ball out under 3 seconds and all timed to the QB's drop-backs from under C (3-5-7 step drops). If this was a WCO, first downs would be a top priority focus. RB's would play a significant part in the passing game, as would TE's. The TE's would rarely, if ever used as "deep threats" but more as outlets for the QB if the primary receiver wasn't available, they'd find more soft zones and go (ala Vance McDonald vs. Davis), etc. Most designs are focused on the easiest passes for the QB which focus more on the middle of the field...we rely on intermediate-deeper passes to the sidelines and several go-routes all running patterns at the same distance with an all-or-nothing mentality so often and very low %. The WCO is high %. The short game is rarely emphasized as a primary target and even if used, the RB is often times used to BLOCK downfield for CK vs. being an actual pass catching outlet option. Our OL is built more for power runs (Bo Schemblacher) and the FB is sparingly used. Just about any way you slice it, this is the Anti-WCO and CK couldn't have been more Anti-WCO when he was drafted (re: skill set and strengths and experience).

Yes, overall, over the years, Roman has built a playbook that we all call the "hodge podge" offense which basically means, it's a conglomerate of 5,000 different play designs from 12 dozen types of offenses including the ones he added specifically for CK re: the Pistol from a mentorship he did just after we drafted CK. HaRoman have been trying to build an offense around CK's big arm, scrambling ability when that intermediate-deeper one-read isn't there, his ad lib abilities, etc. The problem is, each week it's essentially a brand new offense installed...but one with no real foundation. Our offense does not seem like a precision, fine-tuned machine that has been practiced to perfection. It seems like most of the time they barely have time to install the new offense each week.

This may be the source of many of our offensive philosophy-differences and personally, that's totally cool. Now that I understand where you're coming from (WCO with a QB-centric offense), your comments make more sense.

I agree that CK is still a work in progress but in a non-QB-centric offense (200 yards passing a game) and the limited number of passes we actually run per game compared to others, he's growing at a much slower rate which would be expected and more importantly, what is he growing into? What IS the foundation of this offensive system? Are HaRoman trying to train him to be a better two-read PA QB with good athleticism in our intermediate-deeper sideline passing game to compliment (200 yards) a power running game (hence Hyde over a top-notch WR)?

Either way, let's not derail this thread too much more. PM. It's time to focus on the "other" family right now. Happy Thanksgiving Geidi!

Don't bother to get into it with these guys nc. Relentless harbaugh propagandists. They're tailors for the empires new clothes. And whatever you do don't say anything about kap. They'll put you in therapy.
Share 49ersWebzone