LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 306 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. DALLAS COWBOYS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners816:

Hard to believe that today is the 20th anniversary of this game....I can remember it like it was yesterday.

There will still never be a team I HATE more than Dallas. Those SOBs are wearing two of our rings ('92 & '95).
What about the NYG. '90 and '11.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Believe me the giants are number2 on the list, but Dallas is my number 1 hated team. I have several friends who are big Dallas fans.
  • CMIO
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Originally posted by CMIO:
Originally posted by facestabber:
I remember harper beating us on Another long catch, but the secondary really did rule the day with I believe 4 picks. We wrestled the top spot in the conference away from Dallas.

But as I remember this game, I always remember the next game, the Sunday nighter vs LA rams in which Deion knocked away a potential GW td to keep us on the top spot.

Holy cow. The Rams, that's right. I remember shaking my head thinking how can we finally beat Dallas and are now failing against Rams. Magical season but some head scratchers mixed in.

Read an interesting article many years ago on ESPN ranking the SB winners. The 1994 49ers came in at 11 or 12, and the writer said that had it not been for the 40-8 trouncing from the Eagles we took that year, we would probably be ranked much higher on the list (IMO that 49ers team was top 5 of all time).

America's Game/NFL Films had the 94 team ranked 18 or 19. I think the 94 team is very underrated. Steve Young's numbers that year (before the current era of routinely attempting 50+ passes per game) were insane.

I ran some numbers, after the Philly game the niners went 13-1(including playoffs) Steve's numbers in those games where 70% 3200 yards 39 td 5 int 124 qb rating.

The one loss came against the Vikings in the season finale bc the Niners had home field locked up and rested their starters. I think Young only played for a quarter that game.

It was a dominating offense led by Young, Rice Taylor Jones, Floyd Watters.

And our defense was just as lethal.

I would argue the 1994 Niners were better than our 1989 and 1984 squads.
  • CMIO

Believe me the giants are number2 on the list, but Dallas is my number 1 hated team. I have several friends who are big Dallas fans.

Dallas is One, but I go with GB as number two. Both cost us at least 3-4 rings in the 90s.
I was stuck at work for that game, plowing snow around kirkwood ski resort. We kept getting updates from the dispatcher and I thought he was pulling my chain, knowing I was a huge Niner fan. Nicest 12 hour shift I ever pulled...
  • CMIO

Dallas is One, but I go with GB as number two. Both cost us at least 3-4 rings in the 90s.
The one loss came against the Vikings in the season finale bc the Niners had home field locked up and rested their starters. I think Young only played for a quarter that game.

1989 was the best 49er team ever
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

It's a great discussion, the '84 team was a b******t PI from being undefeated. But I usually go with '89 because it had Jerry and out scored opponents 126-23 in playoffs. However, the 14 game run of the '94 is the greatest sustained run I've seen.

Cowboys, Packers, and Giants.. in no particular order. Those are the teams that have each cost us multiple rings.
The 89 and 94 teams were stacked with talent. The 94 season has always meant more to me for some reason. Our DE rotation was Dennis brown, Ricky Jackson, Tim Harris, Charles Mann and for a short time Richard Dent. And that was our weakest position IMO......dang

It is nitpicking, but I agree. 1984 was probably the best all around team, 1989 had more star power with Rice and Taylor.

1994 is interesting. It's a team that was probably the most REGULAR SEASON dominant.....I remember thinking the only way our offense could be stopped in the passing game would be for receivers to drop the ball. When we got very efficient late in the year, it was ridiculously scary.

However, what takes '94 down slightly are two things:

1) I like Montana > Young for postseason
2) Trenches wise, I'm not sure if '94 was as good as '80s teams
Originally posted by facestabber:
The 89 and 94 teams were stacked with talent. The 94 season has always meant more to me for some reason. Our DE rotation was Dennis brown, Ricky Jackson, Tim Harris, Charles Mann and for a short time Richard Dent. And that was our weakest position IMO......dang

In '94 though, we got demolished by the eagles at candlestick

don't remember the '84 and '89 teams getting destroyed like that

I believe the '84 team lost a very close game (pittsburgh?), and '89 team lost to Rams and Packers by a FG each.

Still unable to explain why the '94 team got destroyed by Philly. Perhaps that game was parallel to our woes this season were a team had been on the cusp for 2 straight seasons, and needed motivation for that season...I dunno.

That eagles games was both the driving force of the '94 team and the reason it doesn't get ranked higher on "lists". I also think pulling the guys in minny and not getting to that 14-2 record also keeps it down. I do think it's the best nfl team of the 90s over the 92 boys, 96 pack, 98 broncos, 99 rams and 91 skins.

Having said all of that, I wouldn't change a thing about 1994.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I believe the '84 team lost a very close game (pittsburgh?), and '89 team lost to Rams and Packers by a FG each.

Still unable to explain why the '94 team got destroyed by Philly. Perhaps that game was parallel to our woes this season were a team had been on the cusp for 2 straight seasons, and needed motivation for that season...I dunno.

OL was patch work early in 1994 and the Philly game illuatrated it painfully. Also Charlie garner went absolutely nuts on us in that game. That same Philly team also beat us on the final Monday night of the 1993 season.

Oddly enough the Philly game was the last game in 1994 a wore non throws jerseys. In total we where 15-1 in the throwbacks, 11-0 in the reds and 4-1 in the whites. The PF-PA in the throws was 567-287.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 14, 2014 at 8:24 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone