LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

49ers are handicapped by using a full time Full Back..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Since07:
Bruce Miller > Steve Johnson

Debatable. Obviously they bring completely different skill sets to the table. SJ has proven success over a longer period of time. Miller plays a position that has high value in a run first offense.

We are a run first team, I'd put Miller as a top 3 FB. Johnson is barley a starting WR then again he's never even had a "good" QB
Originally posted by iLLEST209ER:
We need to keep Bruce Miller. He is a highly underrated receiver and opposing defenses simply forget about him as a receiving threat, which is why it is good to have him out there catching passes as yet another wrinkle to our offense. Defenses are just simply caught off guard a lot of the time he goes out, runs a route, and actually is targeted.

A couple examples:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d823d3e9c/QB-Smith-to-RB-Miller-30-yd-pass-TD

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000269955/Bruce-Miller-43-yard-catch

Forget Vance Line Miller up as a TE!
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Miller has proven to be both a great pass catcher and blocker. Dude is one of the most important pieces to the offense. It's not like he's just sitting around doing nothing if the ball doesn't go to Gore.
Originally posted by thl408:
Bruce Miller > Steve Johnson

Debatable. Obviously they bring completely different skill sets to the table. SJ has proven success over a longer period of time. Miller plays a position that has high value in a run first offense.

We are a run first team, I'd put Miller as a top 3 FB. Johnson is barley a starting WR then again he's never even had a "good" QB

Things change. There's no rule that says they can't line up Miller as a single back with three wide outs and a TE. I'm guessing the set breakdown has got to change a little when you're working with a deep receiving corps as opposed to what they had last year. I think we'll see less of the two-back sets this year. The idea that "Bruce Miller > Steve Johnson" is kind of a non-sequitur. I've never seen Miller juke Richard Sherman out of his shoes and I've never seen Johnson clear out a linebacker.
The offense really sputtered after Miller got hurt last year...he's a key part of it as a blocker, runner and receiver. He's more "Rathman-like" than any FB we've had in a long time. As such, he's a valuable component of the offense. While we have a considerably deeper receiving corps now, don't think for a minute Harbaugh won't still rely on a strong ground game and using Miller as a receiver to keep defenses honest.
I jizzed a little in my pants on Hyde's long run off the left side early in the 1st preseason game. I saw a safety come up in pursuit and get fell like a tree. At that point I knew.. Bruce Miller is back.
We should send the RB/FB out on passing routes instead of keeping them in to block
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by pete98146:
I see this offense being in a definite transition this year. Don't get me wrong, relying heavily on a FB and playing out of a ball control style of offense has reaped benefits for us in the past, I think it's outlived it's benefits.

Every time Bruce Miller lines up in the back field that means that Stevie Johnson, Bruce Ellington, Brandon Lloyd will be sitting on the sidelines. Hear me out on this one! For the first time in many years, our receiving core is the strength of our offense. Not utilizing as many as we can is compromising our strength!!!!

I guarantee you that if you line up Crabtree/Boldin/Johnson as our Wide Outs and pair them with Vernon Davis (coupled with Colin Kaepernick's ability to scramble) there is NO WAY that he defenses can load the box. From the onset of the play they'll be back peddling and spread thin trying to cover these guys.

This alone will create some massive running lanes. There is simply no reason why our Running Backs cannot operate in single back formations. The holes will be there. Trust me. Other teams run plenty of single back schemes, why can't we?

Obviously this all changes when we are in a short yardage run situation but aside from that, we have outgrown our need for a full time FB.

Thoughts?

Tom Rathman would like to have words with you.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
We should send the RB/FB out on passing routes instead of keeping them in to block

Yea, Kap can scramble

Edit: It's the whole screen play thing I don't agree with that's for teams who throw the ball. If it doesn't work then we are left with 2nd and 15 which is brutal for a Pwr run scheme
[ Edited by Since07 on Aug 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM ]
I'm in favor of resting Miller more often than last season so the Niners can go with 3 wide, especially on 1st or 2nd downs. Gore uses the lead FB as well as anyone. The question may be whether Hyde can be effective as a single back.

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I'm in favor of resting Miller more often than last season so the Niners can go with 3 wide, especially on 1st or 2nd downs. Gore uses the lead FB as well as anyone. The question may be whether Hyde can be effective as a single back.

No way should we throw the ball on 1st more often because if its incomplete then chances are we throw it again because it'd be 2nd, 3rd and long. If we get a good run and its 2nd and short then we should throw it deep because even if it goes incomplete we can rely on our pwr run to get 3rd and short
Miller isn't a bad receiver to be honest. It gives us options. I want to see more 3 & 4 WRs but miller is a top notch FB who can catch. It gives us options because they are forced to cover him.
No the FB does not hinder us, it helps in the run game BIG time. But in passing situations he needs to get off the field for Johnson every time. I swear if I see Bruce Miller line up in the slot one more time as a WR I will do something.. something terrible..
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

No way should we throw the ball on 1st more often because if its incomplete then chances are we throw it again because it'd be 2nd, 3rd and long. If we get a good run and its 2nd and short then we should throw it deep because even if it goes incomplete we can rely on our pwr run to get 3rd and short

E=mc2
did you not see the great blocking miller did for carlos hyde in the opener?
Share 49ersWebzone