LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

49ers are handicapped by using a full time Full Back..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Thanks for the comments and they are all duly noted. I just can't agree with folks that say we are more effective with Bruce Miller on the field compared to Stevie Johnson. Hey I like Bruce Miller and I understand what he brings to the offense. Also understand that he's a good receiver out of the backfield. But I'll take the collective unit of Johnson, Crabtree, Boldin and Vernon on almost any play except short yardage.

I just think having to cover all 4 of them puts more pressure on the opposing defense than our current scheme. It also makes our offense less predictable. So instead of the defenders inching forward anticipating the run they are back peddling knowing their first assignment is to cover these 4 stellar receivers.

As a side note, it also allows us the opportunity to rotate Patton and Ellington which gives them much needed game time experience. If Crabtree does bolt for greener pastures next year, they have much more PT under their belts.

Last but not least, the torch is being passed on from Gore to Hyde. I see Hyde as a more physical runner than Frankie and accordingly I don't see the need for a lead FB to make that extra block because I think he's got the ability to break that initial tackle and rumble for 4-5 yards a carry.

Again, thanks for all the points of view but I'm sticking my guns on this one...
No extremes. A healthy mix of 21, 11, and 12 personnel will keep opponents on their feet. No need to limit the offense at this point.
but bruce miller is also a good receiver out of the backfield and has the talents to line up every where. i get what you are saying though but roman loves fullbacks
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
but bruce miller is also a good receiver out of the backfield and has the talents to line up every where. i get what you are saying though but roman loves fullbacks

This is why I can easily imagine them mixing in a one-back set with Miller as an outlet.
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

This is why I can easily imagine them mixing in a one-back set with Miller as an outlet.

we have to keep the defense on their toes and account for the RB/FB ..it will definetly help the WR core
This ain't madden son
if the OP is into football where they spread it 3 and 4 wide and dont use a full back much if at all, then i suggest following some other team because whether you like it or not its not going anywhere. we have a very good young versatile full back and additionally the full back is part of jim's O. its not going anywhere.
Originally posted by NinerGod:
This ain't madden son

If its in the game
Has a Spread team won the Superbowl recently? When was the last time Brady or Manning won the SB? GB and NYG won it with a strong run-game. SEA, BAL...
Originally posted by Joecool:
Has a Spread team won the Superbowl recently? When was the last time Brady or Manning won the SB? GB and NYG won it with a strong run-game. SEA, BAL...

You forgot the Saints

• Antix
  • Veteran
I agree that 3 wide, VD and RB puts our best players on the field, but I think the strength of this offense HAS to be its versatility. We probably have the most "multiple" offense in the game. We can play 2 TE/ 1RB 1 FB the majority of the game, or we can spread you out. We have plenty of receivers out of the backfield and skill on the outside.Fastest TE in the game. Best Blocking TE in the game. If ellington and/or QP can contribute this year that gives us even more.

It'd be silly to just focus on "spreading them out". We can be very difficult to defend and our best best is to attack the defense's wekaness, whatever it may be, because at any point we should have the personnel to do so.
Originally posted by verb1der:

You forgot the Saints

That was the year they had crazy +- turnover ratio. Their running game also accumulated 1355 yards but pretty much without a FB. Best receiver had 1074 yards.
Handicapped?

Miller is a stud, and a true threat out of the backfield.
Originally posted by verb1der:

You forgot the Saints

That was the year they had crazy +- turnover ratio. Their running game also accumulated 1355 yards but pretty much without a FB. Best receiver had 1074 yards.

Also the year they threw the least. Brees' 514 regular season attempts is waaay below the Sean Payton-era average. They are usually around 650 attempts each year. They had far better balance on offense in 2009.
I wouldn't say the 49ers were handicapped by this approach, because Miller was legitimately one of our best 11 players on offense. He needed to be on the field. Vital part of the running game with his blocking, and a reliable pass catcher out of the backfield.

Now with a deeper WR group, we would benefit from spreading the field a little more and giving this offense some room to breath.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Aug 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone