LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 175 users in the forums

Why does everyone besides Kaep seem expendable now (per fan base)?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why does everyone besides Kaep seem expendable now (per fan base)?

To be objective WRT Kap, he didn't have the receiving corps he has now in 2012 or 13. He also didn't have the kind of quality depth at RB or OL. With all those things now, he should emerge as an elite QB. Niners have two choices...let him walk or pay the man. There's nobody on the roster to take over...so, the plan is to extend him before this season begins. I have no problem with that plan. WRT Iupati and Crabtree, it's more than likely each will demand more than Baalke's willing to pay. I'm also ok with that...which is why TB acquired Brandon Thomas, Jonathan Martin & Marcus Martin. There's also Joe Looney and Ryan Seymour. Boone could arguably get paid...as a starting RG, he should make more than he currently draws. Vernon's paid among the 3 top TE's in the NFL...he might get paid, but his is a lower priority because he's signed for 2 more seasons. Methinks his timing stinks...knowing Kap has to get paid. To a lesser extent, so does Boone's. BL is Baalke can't pay everyone what they want...so some vets may be shown the door. That's just how it is...they refuse to get back into salary cap hell, which is the best strategy moving forward. Baalke's shown a recurring ability to stockpile top-drawer talent, which is a must to stay serious contenders all the while sustaining a healthy cap status.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
he is the cornerstone for your offense in my opinion , we got lucky by not paying him alot so far but now you have to pony up some dollars. lol at some people who think you just can plug in a nate davis or bj whatever the f**k his name was and you do not skip a beat
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
i personally think kaep is overated and doesn't deserve top 5 money. he surrounded by a dominant team, a team alex smith took far into the playoffs. i think harbs can do this with any QB thats half decent. he is a good player yea, but would you take him over brady, eli manning , brees, peyton, rogers, i don't think so. i also think russell wilson is very overated, they both surrounded by dominant teams.

I'd take Kap over Eli in a heartbeat. Eli is super overrated.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Here is the thing...nobody is saying they all are expendable. What people are saying is some of them will have to be to keep others and since you are going from thread to thread there is always some people who think that guy who the thread is about is the guy that should go over another. As to Kap's deal 18 mil is the going rate for QB's. Some folks cant wrap their heads around that. He is going to be plus or minus 1-2 millon from that figure as that is what a starting QB with a winning record costs. There are no better options and going back into the draft and hoping the next kid is as good or better is franchise suicide. Will somebody have to go to pay Kap? Probably, but odds are interior linemen for example can be replaced for a lot less money and you wont see nearly as dramatic a drop off as trying to force a rookie QB into the line up that could very well need to be holding a clipboard for a couple years given where we are likely to draft.
this
Originally posted by est1985:
I've seen hundreds of posts where fans don't want to pay Kaep that kinda money.

Me too.

I say we let him play out his last year on his rookie deal. Make him earn every penny. If he wins the superbowl give him the reward.. a la Flacco. Much good it did the ravens since however..
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by est1985:
I've seen hundreds of posts where fans don't want to pay Kaep that kinda money.

Me too.

I say we let him play out his last year on his rookie deal. Make him earn every penny. If he wins the superbowl give him the reward.. a la Flacco. Much good it did the ravens since however..

truthfully the Flacco situation scares me , so much money was tied up in Joes deal, the Ravens couldn't afford to strengthen a few positions and the team suffered badly for it ...I don't want to see that happen to our team , but we have the talent to remain competitive for awhile and could sustain a season or two of not signing any free agents and rely exclusively on the draft
i personally think kaep is overated and doesn't deserve top 5 money. he surrounded by a dominant team, a team alex smith took far into the playoffs. i think harbs can do this with any QB thats half decent. he is a good player yea, but would you take him over brady, eli manning , brees, peyton, rogers, i don't think so. i also think russell wilson is very overated, they both surrounded by dominant teams.

Silliest post I've seen in a long time for a couple reasons. Sure, let's compare Kaepernick to Brady, Brees, Peyton and Rogers, all locks for first ballot Hall of Fame. What nonsense. You might as well say "would you take him over Montana? I don't think so." But beyond that, Brady and Peyton are about done. At this point, it would be smarter for any GM to take Kaepernick for the future over them.

But then to bring Eli Manning into the equation. WTF? Kaepernick already has much better numbers than Eli. He's even got a higher completion percentage. He's got a higher rating. And memo to Einstein here: Eli Manning threw 27 interceptions last season against 18 TD's. Eli Manning has got to be the luckiest QB in the league. Both of his SB wins were absolute flukes. I would take Kaepernick over Eli any day of the week. Talk about over-rated.
  • buck
  • Veteran
First, everybody but Kaepernick does not seem expendable.

Second, our current front office has been very good at dealing with contract extensions and the cap space.

Third, I imagine that they will continue to do so.

Fourth, I am not worried.
Originally posted by buck:
First, everybody but Kaepernick does not seem expendable.

Second, our current front office has been very good at dealing with contract extensions and the cap space.

Third, I imagine that they will continue to do so.

Fourth, I am not worried.

Second that!
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
We realize that Kaep is most likely gonna get paid 18 Mil/yr (probably). But I haven't heard one negative comment on a new deal for him. And he's proven some things, but still has some growing to do. As is expected.

But soon, we will have Crabs, VD, Boone, and a few others that may want new deals.

Except now, go in VD's thread, Crabs, and in a few others, and they are all expendable. We are talking about how they can be replaced, or aren't playing like they used too, or they shouldn't be selfish and let Kaep's deal get done first, then the rest follow.

Just saying it's starting to seem a little more hypocritical than usual. A lot of these players have been staples in the offense, and only getting better as years go by, but now when it comes to cash, they should keep it low, or move on... That aint right.....

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?????

You obviously haven't been in the Kap thread at all this off season.

Also, I haven't seen any large contingent of fans saying VD is expendable, he's obviously a huge part of this offense and he is compensated appropriately, he is paid in the top 3 of TE's, doesn't seem necessary to tear up his contract and start over right now. I think Boone is deserving of a new contract and I'd like to keep Crabs but he may just want too much money.

Also, the one big upcoming free agent you didn't list is the one most likely to not be resigned by the Niners, Mike Iupati.

oh god here we go again
i personally think kaep is overated and doesn't deserve top 5 money. he surrounded by a dominant team,
i think harbs can do this with any QB thats half decent. he is a good player yea, but

Maybe... and that's just it.. maybe. You could be right or wrong... which is why I am still in favor of waiting the year to see if he can refine his game.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
i personally think kaep is overated and doesn't deserve top 5 money. he surrounded by a dominant team,
i think harbs can do this with any QB thats half decent. he is a good player yea, but

Maybe... and that's just it.. maybe. You could be right or wrong... which is why I am still in favor of waiting the year to see if he can refine his game.

i didn't say kaep sucks first of all, i just simply stated he doesn't deserve to be paid top 5 QB money when his team is surrounded by so much talent, the same talent alex got far in the playoffs with. i think he more a product of the harbs system, but again not saying he is bad either, just doesn't deserve money by the likes of those 5 guys i stated.

So then Jay Cutler and Tony Romo do?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

i didn't say kaep sucks first of all, i just simply stated he doesn't deserve to be paid top 5 QB money when his team is surrounded by so much talent, the same talent alex got far in the playoffs with. i think he more a product of the harbs system, but again not saying he is bad either, just doesn't deserve money by the likes of those 5 guys i stated.

I am pretty certain that neither of us did suggest that.
Share 49ersWebzone