LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 326 users in the forums

Why does everyone besides Kaep seem expendable now (per fan base)?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Why does everyone besides Kaep seem expendable now (per fan base)?

We realize that Kaep is most likely gonna get paid 18 Mil/yr (probably). But I haven't heard one negative comment on a new deal for him. And he's proven some things, but still has some growing to do. As is expected.

But soon, we will have Crabs, VD, Boone, and a few others that may want new deals.

Except now, go in VD's thread, Crabs, and in a few others, and they are all expendable. We are talking about how they can be replaced, or aren't playing like they used too, or they shouldn't be selfish and let Kaep's deal get done first, then the rest follow.

Just saying it's starting to seem a little more hypocritical than usual. A lot of these players have been staples in the offense, and only getting better as years go by, but now when it comes to cash, they should keep it low, or move on... That aint right.....

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?????
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Jun 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM ]
i personally think kaep is overated and doesn't deserve top 5 money. he surrounded by a dominant team, a team alex smith took far into the playoffs. i think harbs can do this with any QB thats half decent. he is a good player yea, but would you take him over brady, eli manning , brees, peyton, rogers, i don't think so. i also think russell wilson is very overated, they both surrounded by dominant teams.
i love this forum
So much talent to resign but only so little cap space to work with. The fan base doesn't want any of these guys to go. Here is my prediction for who gets extensions and who we let walk

Walks
-Mike Iupati
-Alex Boone
-Michael Crabtree

Extensions
-Aldon Smith
-Collin Kaepernick
-Vernon Davis

The 49ers o-lineman will be easier to replace. Letting go of Crabtree hurts but his asking price will be WAY above his actual value to our team. Aldon Smith WILL cost us an absolute fortune but letting a once in a generation talent like him just walk seems like a terrible idea. Nothing needs to be said about Kaepernick besides that he's our franchise QB. I believe that Vernon's new contract will be a marginal increase in pay but the new deal will extend through 2018 or something like that.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
i personally think kaep is overated and doesn't deserve top 5 money. he surrounded by a dominant team, a team alex smith took far into the playoffs. i think harbs can do this with any QB thats half decent. he is a good player yea, but would you take him over brady, eli manning , brees, peyton, rogers, i don't think so. i also think russell wilson is very overated, they both surrounded by dominant teams.

so who do you want as your QB ?
Originally posted by goodthings19:
So much talent to resign but only so little cap space to work with. The fan base doesn't want any of these guys to go. Here is my prediction for who gets extensions and who we let walk

Walks
-Mike Iupati
-Alex Boone
-Michael Crabtree

Extensions
-Aldon Smith
-Collin Kaepernick
-Vernon Davis

The 49ers o-lineman will be easier to replace. Letting go of Crabtree hurts but his asking price will be WAY above his actual value to our team. Aldon Smith WILL cost us an absolute fortune but letting a once in a generation talent like him just walk seems like a terrible idea. Nothing needs to be said about Kaepernick besides that he's our franchise QB. I believe that Vernon's new contract will be a marginal increase in pay but the new deal will extend through 2018 or something like that.

smart guy , you are correct . I think you get the QB signed then the best pass rusher but hopefully he is not out for long and then your TD guy make him happy.
Originally posted by cNiner:

so who do you want as your QB ?

PRIMETIME21 I respect your opinion on Kaepernick but I will strongly disagree with you about it. Kaepernick has a very bright future in this league. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for you your opinion is irrelevant cause the 49ers WILL extend Mr. Kaepernick

Always believe in Kaep. Never question Kaep. Just fall in line and chant "Kaep is great, Kaep is great."
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Always believe in Kaep. Never question Kaep. Just fall in line and chant "Kaep is great, Kaep is great."

...or essentially complain about everything, constantly scream the sky is falling, and call yourself SanDiego49er.
Here is the thing...nobody is saying they all are expendable. What people are saying is some of them will have to be to keep others and since you are going from thread to thread there is always some people who think that guy who the thread is about is the guy that should go over another. As to Kap's deal 18 mil is the going rate for QB's. Some folks cant wrap their heads around that. He is going to be plus or minus 1-2 millon from that figure as that is what a starting QB with a winning record costs. There are no better options and going back into the draft and hoping the next kid is as good or better is franchise suicide. Will somebody have to go to pay Kap? Probably, but odds are interior linemen for example can be replaced for a lot less money and you wont see nearly as dramatic a drop off as trying to force a rookie QB into the line up that could very well need to be holding a clipboard for a couple years given where we are likely to draft.

Kaepernick is THE difference maker. The other team has to account for his legs so that opens stuff up especially in the playoffs when they tend to run him more.

You can blame him for not getting is reads down and going through progressions but that hopefully will come together this offseason. This is his 4th year in the system and 2nd year as the full time starter so this is when he's supposed to make his big jump.

They're on the cusp of a championship...and this is the year they'll get it.

And if u think Kaep isn't good enough...would you rather have Kaep or Alex Smith, Troy Smith, Shaun Hill, J.T. O'Sullivan, Trent Dilfer, Chris Weinke, Tim Rattay, Ken Dorsey or Cody Pickett? Cause that's what we had to suffer thru the last 10 years...i'm taking Kaepernick every time.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

...or essentially complain about everything, constantly scream the sky is falling, and call yourself SanDiego49er.

Also this...I have learned to just skip the post's entirely upon seeing the name.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I've seen hundreds of posts where fans don't want to pay Kaep that kinda money.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Welcome to the modern NFL that has become all about managing the QB and the cap. If you have the QB, you can contend while filling in around the QB. But, at some point you're going to have to pay the QB, which means you will need to let other great players go and hopefully replace them with good, younger and cheaper players.

It is also some circumstances...after Kap, the next most obvious extension is Aldon Smith but his off the field issues have put that in question. Crabtree's injury history raises some question about how far you go to sign him. We've known for a while that it is unlikely that the 49ers would spend big on a Guard. It's just not how the team is structured and that is probably playing out with Iupati.

The "silver lining" of the washout of the 2012 draft is that there won't be someone significant coming up for an extension.

The other key components at this point are signed through at least next year with the caveat/understanding that Gore and Justin Smith are pretty much year to year at this point of their careers anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone