LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 208 users in the forums

Pre-Camp 53 Roster Prediction

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If McDonald is out this year they may be able to keep both Dobbs and TJE...very different players. TJE takes up a lot of room and can hold a spot, whereas Dobbs is a bit quicker and can stunt...which he did well with Aldon his first training camp. Injuries will no doubt make some of these decisions for the team, unfortunately.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
If McDonald is out this year they may be able to keep both Dobbs and TJE...very different players. TJE takes up a lot of room and can hold a spot, whereas Dobbs is a bit quicker and can stunt...which he did well with Aldon his first training camp. Injuries will no doubt make some of these decisions for the team, unfortunately.

Truth.
Originally posted by NCommand:
OK, I'm doing the unthinkable right now. I'm trying to set up the 46. We have 7 players who WON'T be active on game days and they may change a bit from game to game but I went through our 53 to gauge who we might target as being INACTIVE on game days taking into consideration, DeUh's ST player-notes and coverage/punt teams noted in (parentheses):

Offense:
QB: Josh Johnson & Blaine Gabbert
RB: (LaMichael James)
H-Back: (Derek Carrier)
X: Stevie Johnson
Y: Quinton Patton
Z: (Kassim Osgood)
ROT: Jonathan Martin
RG: Joe Looney
C: Dillon Farrell & Marcus Martin

Defense:
RDE: Tank Carradine & (DeMarcus Dobbs)
LDE: Quinton Dial
NT: Tony Jerrod-Eddie
WILL: (Dan Skuta)
SAM: Aaron Lynch
MIKE: (Nick Moody)
TED: (Chris Borland)
RCB: Dontae Johnson
LCB: (Chris Cook)
SLOT/NICKLE: (Perrish Cox)
FS: (Craig Dahl)
SS: (L.J. McCray)

Soooooo, based off this list, my inactives would most likely be the following players:

Offense:
QB: Blaine Gabbert (3rd QB)
Y: Quinton Patton (7th WR)
ROT: Jonathan Martin (Boone can play swing-T and Looney can slide in at RG)
C: Marcus Martin (Injured)

Defense:
RDE: DeMarcus Dobbs (7th DL; played ST in the past but is not needed for that role anymore)
SAM: Aaron Lynch (4th OLB)
RCB: Dontae Johnson (Cook can play both sides and Cox can play outside as well)

MB notes the following as the possible 7 inactives:

1. QB Josh Johnson, the third quarterback.

2. C Marcus Martin. He's injured and is a safe scratch for the months of September and probably October.

3. WR Brandon Lloyd. He's not a starter and doesn't play special teams.

4. CB Dontae Johnson or CB Chris Cook. The 49ers like Johnson, but he's the least experienced of the team's cornerbacks. Johnson, however, has been playing special teams, and the 49ers might get more value. (Another option: because Jimmie Ward plays nickel cornerback, perhaps both Johnson and Cook sit).

5. Quinton Dial or Tank Carradine. It's hard to believe that these two, who played so many snaps and played so well in the preseason, wouldn't get to suit up for a game. But the 49ers have an abundance of backup linemen, and Demarcus Dobbs and Tony Jerod-Eddie play special teams.

6. Aaron Lynch. The 49ers may conclude that against a pass-happy team like Dallas they need all the pass rushers they can get. Still, Lynch is still rounding into shape and into form.

7A. Bruce Ellington or Quinton Patton. Do the 49ers need five wide receivers?

7B. Nick Moody or Chris Borland. If the answer to 7A is, yes, then the question becomes, do the 49ers need four inside linebackers? Moody and Borland both can play on special teams

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/03/6675026/inactives-which-49ers-will-sit.html
I hear that but Farrell is the only player who's taken every snap at C all off season so if Kilgore goes down, we should be OK. Looney can play there as well I guess but he's been training at RG all off season. We could cut Farrell but that would only leave us with Joe Staley, Anthony Davis (hasn't taken a snap), Jonathan Martin, Mike Iupati (coming back from injury and looked poor), Joe Looney, Alex Boone (hasn't taken a snap), Daniel Kilgore & Marcus Martin (injured). That's 7 total "healthy" linemen and 2-3 big question marks. 1 in-game injury and we're screwed. BTW: Both Farrell and Martin have been quoted to work at the G position as well.

Still bummed about Seymour, myself!

Sure wish there were more slots for injury returning in season. M Martin being kept on the roster is a smart move but hate seeing a spot taken up by a non-active player. I suppose there has to be a limit...could be another Nebraska with 150 players suiting up!
I hear that but Farrell is the only player who's taken every snap at C all off season so if Kilgore goes down, we should be OK. Looney can play there as well I guess but he's been training at RG all off season. We could cut Farrell but that would only leave us with Joe Staley, Anthony Davis (hasn't taken a snap), Jonathan Martin, Mike Iupati (coming back from injury and looked poor), Joe Looney, Alex Boone (hasn't taken a snap), Daniel Kilgore & Marcus Martin (injured). That's 7 total "healthy" linemen and 2-3 big question marks. 1 in-game injury and we're screwed. BTW: Both Farrell and Martin have been quoted to work at the G position as well.

Sure wish there were more slots for injury returning in season. M Martin being kept on the roster is a smart move but hate seeing a spot taken up by a non-active player. I suppose there has to be a limit...could be another Nebraska with 150 players suiting up!

True...but 7 guys have to be inactive anyhow so it might as well be an injured player.

True...but 7 guys have to be inactive anyhow so it might as well be an injured player.

There are always so many minor injuries that those spots could easily be used each week for a bunch of guys...so when you know someone will miss half the season it seems like there should be other options. Keeping an extra developmental player who could help on special teams... oh well...is what it is and Baalke/Harbaugh will deal with it more effectively than most!

There are always so many minor injuries that those spots could easily be used each week for a bunch of guys...so when you know someone will miss half the season it seems like there should be other options. Keeping an extra developmental player who could help on special teams... oh well...is what it is and Baalke/Harbaugh will deal with it more effectively than most!

Yeah, ideally, you'd want 2 to 3 I.R. (designation for return spots)...why not? Why should a professional miss an entire season b/c there is only 1 of these spots? Same with the 47...shouldn't everyone be active? Shouldn't the team that scouts, signs and works out be given the sole rights to all 10 of the PS spots? Why should they have to be subjected to waiver wires? Drivs me nuts...the PS should be your "farm system" so we're forced to create our own "farm system" via the I.R. list. It's genius by Baalke but he's forced to do it b/c of the archaic rules.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but Crabs ain't getting extended anytime soon. Two words, Eugene Parker.
welcome back Osgood!
So again, we activated Osgood and Boone and put Dorsey on I.R. (designation for return) so who was cut?

So again, we activated Osgood and Boone and put Dorsey on I.R. (designation for return) so who was cut?

Roster exemption.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Roster exemption.

Thought that was just temporary until we decided to activate him (meaning, we were buying time to ensure he was back in shape and ready to play/start)...and he's starting in Dallas so...?
Originally posted by jreff22:

Roster exemption.

Thought that was just temporary until we decided to activate him (meaning, we were buying time to ensure he was back in shape and ready to play/start)...and he's starting in Dallas so...?

Read on twitter a corresponding move would be made tomorrow(Saturday).
MB notes the following as the possible 7 inactives:

1. QB Josh Johnson, the third quarterback.

2. C Marcus Martin. He's injured and is a safe scratch for the months of September and probably October.

3. WR Brandon Lloyd. He's not a starter and doesn't play special teams.

4. CB Dontae Johnson or CB Chris Cook. The 49ers like Johnson, but he's the least experienced of the team's cornerbacks. Johnson, however, has been playing special teams, and the 49ers might get more value. (Another option: because Jimmie Ward plays nickel cornerback, perhaps both Johnson and Cook sit).

5. Quinton Dial or Tank Carradine. It's hard to believe that these two, who played so many snaps and played so well in the preseason, wouldn't get to suit up for a game. But the 49ers have an abundance of backup linemen, and Demarcus Dobbs and Tony Jerod-Eddie play special teams.

6. Aaron Lynch. The 49ers may conclude that against a pass-happy team like Dallas they need all the pass rushers they can get. Still, Lynch is still rounding into shape and into form.

7A. Bruce Ellington or Quinton Patton. Do the 49ers need five wide receivers?

7B. Nick Moody or Chris Borland. If the answer to 7A is, yes, then the question becomes, do the 49ers need four inside linebackers? Moody and Borland both can play on special teams

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/03/6675026/inactives-which-49ers-will-sit.html

I have a hard time believing that lynch, tank, and/or dial will be inactives for any game till Aldon comes back
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Read on twitter a corresponding move would be made tomorrow(Saturday).

Makes sense! Thanks!
Share 49ersWebzone