• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Osgood is back baby!
So glad to see it. Was hoping Morris would be the other gunner, but oh well.

Osgood is a superstar on ST. I can't believe they risked losing him, or that some other team didn't pick him up.

Who's spot did he take?

Glenn Dorsey

Thanks, so does that mean we'll drop him or someone else when Dorsey returns?

Could be Osgood since he's on a week to week contract, but I doubt it. Osgood is THEE best player on Special Teams period, and top 5 in the NFL IMO. My guess would be James McCray or Dobbs.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Osgood is back baby!

Osgood is a superstar on ST. I can't believe they risked losing him, or that some other team didn't pick him up.

Who's spot did he take?

Glenn Dorsey

Thanks, so does that mean we'll drop him or someone else when Dorsey returns?
dahl maybe
Osgood is back baby!

Who's spot did he take?

Glenn Dorsey

Had my fingers crossed that as soon as they could make the Dorsey move Osgood would be there. There might be some more jockying the next few weeks.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Osgood is back baby!

Who's spot did he take?

Glenn Dorsey

Had my fingers crossed that as soon as they could make the Dorsey move Osgood would be there. There might be some more jockying the next few weeks.

For now yes, but once Boone counts against the cap (team seeking exemption until he's in game shape), someone is getting the ax. But who?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Could be Osgood since he's on a week to week contract, but I doubt it. Osgood is THEE best player on Special Teams period, and top 5 in the NFL IMO. My guess would be James McCray or Dobbs.

Not James McCray.

Osgood is back baby!

Who's spot did he take?

Glenn Dorsey

For now yes, but once Boone counts against the cap (team seeking exemption until he's in game shape), someone is getting the ax. But who?

My guess? Farrell or M Martin moves to PS if they pass waivers...so it would be Farrell as M Martin would likely be picked up. I suppose they could put Martin on an injured list but he'd be out the year if I'm not mistaken.
My guess? Farrell or M Martin moves to PS if they pass waivers...so it would be Farrell as M Martin would likely be picked up. I suppose they could put Martin on an injured list but he'd be out the year if I'm not mistaken.
I think you're spot on.
OK, I'm doing the unthinkable right now. I'm trying to set up the 46. We have 7 players who WON'T be active on game days and they may change a bit from game to game but I went through our 53 to gauge who we might target as being INACTIVE on game days taking into consideration, DeUh's ST player-notes and coverage/punt teams noted in (parentheses):

Offense:
QB: Josh Johnson & Blaine Gabbert
RB: (LaMichael James)
H-Back: (Derek Carrier)
X: Stevie Johnson
Y: Quinton Patton
Z: (Kassim Osgood)
ROT: Jonathan Martin
RG: Joe Looney
C: Dillon Farrell & Marcus Martin

Defense:
RDE: Tank Carradine & (DeMarcus Dobbs)
LDE: Quinton Dial
NT: Tony Jerrod-Eddie
WILL: (Dan Skuta)
SAM: Aaron Lynch
MIKE: (Nick Moody)
TED: (Chris Borland)
RCB: Dontae Johnson
LCB: (Chris Cook)
SLOT/NICKLE: (Perrish Cox)
FS: (Craig Dahl)
SS: (L.J. McCray)

Soooooo, based off this list, my inactives would most likely be the following players:

Offense:
QB: Blaine Gabbert (3rd QB)
Y: Quinton Patton (7th WR)
ROT: Jonathan Martin (Boone can play swing-T and Looney can slide in at RG)
C: Marcus Martin (Injured)

Defense:
RDE: DeMarcus Dobbs (7th DL; played ST in the past but is not needed for that role anymore)
SAM: Aaron Lynch (4th OLB)
RCB: Dontae Johnson (Cook can play both sides and Cox can play outside as well)
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 2, 2014 at 3:07 PM ]
Osgood is back baby!

Truth and TRUTH!

I think they had a handshake agreement with him to come back. As a vested vet, he was not subjected to waivers, so he just had to cool it over the weekend, and sign back up when Dorsey's slot opened up.

Soooooo, based off this list, my inactives would most likely be the following players:

Offense:

Defense:
RDE: DeMarcus Dobbs (7th DL; played ST in the past but is not needed for that role anymore)

Dillon Farrell's got to be one of the inactives, unless we have to cut him to put Boone back on the 53 (why'd we keep him over Seymour, again?)

originally posted by WRATHman44:
Osgood is back baby!

Truth and TRUTH!

I think they had a handshake agreement with him to come back. As a vested vet, he was not subjected to waivers, so he just had to cool it over the weekend, and sign back up when Dorsey's slot opened up.

Yeah this is probably what happened. His deal is now guaranteed if he is on week 1 53-man roster. no savings if cut. Plus he us a ST Ace, and a great player. I like having him there on STs.

When Dorsey is back, Dobbs or TJE goes, I hope it's Dobbs.

When Bow is back Moody goes.

The following have guaranteed deals now once sunday kicks off.

QB Kap, Gabbert(1st rd guarantee), and Johnson
RB Gore, Hyde(2nd rd guarantee)
WR Crabs, Boldin, Stevie, Lloyd, and Osgood
TE Vernon and Vance(2nd rd guarantee)
OL Staley, A.Davis, Boone, Iupati
DL Justin, McDonald, Tank(2nd rd guarantee)
LB Willis, Brooks, Skuta
CB Brock, Cook
S Dahl, Bethea, Reid(1st rd guarantee), Ward(1st rd guarantee)
ST Dawson and Lee

That leaves the following un-guaranteed.

RB James
FB Miller
OL Kilgore, M;Martin, J.Martin, Farrell
DL Dial, Dobbs, TJE, I.Williams
LB Moody, Borland, Wilhoite, Lemonier, Lynch
CB Culliver, Cox, Johnson
S McCray
LS Nelson
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
originally posted by WRATHman44:
Osgood is back baby!

Truth and TRUTH!

Yeah this is probably what happened. His deal is now guaranteed if he is on week 1 53-man roster. no savings if cut. Plus he us a ST Ace, and a great player. I like having him there on STs.

When Dorsey is back, Dobbs or TJE goes, I hope it's Dobbs.

When Bow is back Moody goes.

The following have guaranteed deals now once sunday kicks off.

QB Kap, Gabbert(1st rd guarantee), and Johnson
RB Gore, Hyde(2nd rd guarantee)
WR Crabs, Boldin, Stevie, Lloyd, and Osgood
TE Vernon and Vance(2nd rd guarantee)
OL Staley, A.Davis, Boone, Iupati
DL Justin, McDonald, Tank(2nd rd guarantee)
LB Willis, Brooks, Skuta
CB Brock, Cook
S Dahl, Bethea, Reid(1st rd guarantee), Ward(1st rd guarantee)
ST Dawson and Lee

That leaves the following un-guaranteed.

RB James
FB Miller
OL Kilgore, M;Martin, J.Martin, Farrell
DL Dial, Dobbs, TJE, I.Williams
LB Moody, Borland, Wilhoite, Lemonier, Lynch
CB Culliver, Cox, Johnson
S McCray
LS Nelson

That is some critical information come cut time!

Do we know where we are at with the team cap now with Boone's contract and him close to being activated? It looks like McDonald's restructure helped a bunch as well.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Offense:

Defense:

Dillon Farrell's got to be one of the inactives, unless we have to cut him to put Boone back on the 53 (why'd we keep him over Seymour, again?)

I hear that but Farrell is the only player who's taken every snap at C all off season so if Kilgore goes down, we should be OK. Looney can play there as well I guess but he's been training at RG all off season. We could cut Farrell but that would only leave us with Joe Staley, Anthony Davis (hasn't taken a snap), Jonathan Martin, Mike Iupati (coming back from injury and looked poor), Joe Looney, Alex Boone (hasn't taken a snap), Daniel Kilgore & Marcus Martin (injured). That's 7 total "healthy" linemen and 2-3 big question marks. 1 in-game injury and we're screwed. BTW: Both Farrell and Martin have been quoted to work at the G position as well.

Still bummed about Seymour, myself!

Do we know where we are at with the team cap now with Boone's contract and him close to being activated? It looks like McDonald's restructure helped a bunch as well.

Before Boone, $3.697M under the cap. I don't expect a big raise on Boone's 2014 number. We should be good, we can get a deal done for Crabs, where he uses part of his base salary as a bonus, that way we don't need to use up a lot of cap room to extend him.

I'm hoping we hear soon that Crabs is extended. Waiting on Boone's numbers, not updated in NFLPA database yet.

McDonald saved us $2.116M with the restructure. He added 2 more voidable years. It's risky, but it may be worth it in the end.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Before Boone, $3.697M under the cap. I don't expect a big raise on Boone's 2014 number. We should be good, we can get a deal done for Crabs, where he uses part of his base salary as a bonus, that way we don't need to use up a lot of cap room to extend him.

I'm hoping we hear soon that Crabs is extended. Waiting on Boone's numbers, not updated in NFLPA database yet.

McDonald saved us $2.116M with the restructure. He added 2 more voidable years. It's risky, but it may be worth it in the end.

OK, I know initially, we were at just under 2M (I believe you said it didn't include Boone's numbers at the time)...then Boone came back and got extended, McDonald restructured, etc. Cool...very curious to see how it shapes up and if that leaves us some additional room to officially sign Crabtree or Culliver.
Share 49ersWebzone