LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 401 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Be nice guys we're all friends here. No need to take your D's out to prove your point.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Every QB in the league has quite a few terrible completions per game. The main difference right now is that those QB's get more big plays as well.

This is the first game Gabbert has had where get got great blocking. His entire career has required him to drop back and make "Oh s**t! Gotta let it go now! situations. If our OL keeps blocking well, then he will begin to trust it and slow down back there and let the offense unfold and throw the ball with poise and rhythm.

Give him a chance to get more games in behind a comfortable OL.

Also, he's not the QB that will get a WR 150 yards. He's a QB that will get 9 different targets touches because he knows where to go with the ball. Soon, he will realize he actually has the time to get the ball there.

I just realized who I'm talking to...nevermind.

WTF? I was ready to write out a response to this entire post and then I see this. You have a problem with me? For what reason?

LOL. Write what you were about to write. Then I will let you know.

Come on SteveWallace. I wasn't being serious.

You're sweet Joe. I just wanna see Blaine reach Alex smith 2.0 status, then I'll get greedy and want more lol.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Eh, I beg to differ. I think he had a ton more bad throws than that. Even some of the completions that resulted in positive yards were terrible throws.

Even the passes he completed for positive yardage were terrible?
I can see a lot you secretly hoping Blaine has a bad day and we get blown out. Just to fit your narrative on how garbage Blaine is. It kills you guys that despite some awful throws he didn't throw one pick and was efficient. On the way to blowing out one of the most over hyped teams in the off season.

Facts are facts. He didn't throw an INT. Almost throwing picks don't count in the box score.
[ Edited by 951NINER on Sep 15, 2016 at 3:23 PM ]
Originally posted by 951NINER:
I can see a lot you secretly hoping Blaine has a bad day and we get blown out. Just to fit your narrative on how garbage Blaine is. It kills you guys that despite some awful throws he didn't throw one pick and was efficient. On the way to blowing out one of the most over hyped teams in the off season.

Facts are facts. He didn't throw an INT. Almost throwing picks don't count in the box score.
why are you all hurt.

People want him to clean his act up. if he doesn't then we are in trouble. more times then not those almost INTs end up being INTs
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Sep 15, 2016 at 3:27 PM ]
Originally posted by jcs:
Eh, I beg to differ. I think he had a ton more bad throws than that. Even some of the completions that resulted in positive yards were terrible throws.

Even the passes he completed for positive yardage were terrible?

Some were, yes. Not all. Not even close to all. Which is why I said "some."
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

why are you all hurt.

People want him to clean his act up. if he doesn't then we are in trouble.

Weren't we supposed to be? According to all pundits. Doesn't make it any better when fans are clamoring for him to fail after a blowing out a team.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

why are you all hurt.

People want him to clean his act up. if he doesn't then we are in trouble.

Fine to take that stance, but if you have no optimism in him, say your peace and there's nothing else for you to say. Steve Young was just on ESPN, he's giving us a shot as well... Seems to be happy w/the teams direction and play the way Chips leading the dogs.

Fair enough....here is what I was going to say.

The main difference right now is that those QB's get more big plays as well.

Wholeheartedly agree with that statement. In fact, I was making a very similar point in a thread in the NFL section.

As far as getting comfortable goes, I guess thats possible. Blaine has a terrible habit of not stepping into his throws and throwing from his back foot. Is that a result of him being beaten, never having good blocking and needing to rush...or is it simply bad mechanics. Time will tell, but his footwork isnt very good right now. Leads to errant throws.
Was this posted yet? I don't remember

Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff Sep 14
A main reason Gabbert was not sacked Monday: his average time from snap to release was just 2.03 seconds, second fastest of any Week 1 QB.
Originally posted by Dicekiller:

A main reason Gabbert was not sacked Monday: his average time from snap to release was just 2.03 seconds, second fastest of any Week 1 QB.

A credit to Chip and his tempo.
Originally posted by Dicekiller:

Yes. IMHO, this was the game plan because of the Rams front 7. As it turns out, we need to game plan around 2.5-3.0 because of this OL now. The running game, controlled tempo and OL should easily give Gabbert that extra second or so. Kelly can now call more intermediate and deeper passes.

Fair enough....here is what I was going to say.

The main difference right now is that those QB's get more big plays as well.

Wholeheartedly agree with that statement. In fact, I was making a very similar point in a thread in the NFL section.

As far as getting comfortable goes, I guess thats possible. Blaine has a terrible habit of not stepping into his throws and throwing from his back foot. Is that a result of him being beaten, never having good blocking and needing to rush...or is it simply bad mechanics. Time will tell, but his footwork isnt very good right now. Leads to errant throws.

Yeah, I think being rushed all the time in his career has produced bad mechanics. I think he can perform a lot better if he begins to trust his OL. BUT, if he does improve, he will eventually need to pull the trigger on the big plays and make them work. I mean, the main reason why fans got fed up with Jeff Garcia was because he didn't pull the trigger as much on the deep ball and we had freaking TO.
Share 49ersWebzone