There are 171 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Joecool:
"I actually had to talk to a couple people that are out there (with the 49ers) every day. And the people around there every day kind of describe Blaine as somebody that is -- take this the right way -- an abused quarterback," Young added. "Somebody who has been beat up emotionally, mentally and because of that has unusual responses because there's not a sense of confidence.

"And that's why when I talked about early in the game, if we can get him aggressive, taking it to (the defense), rather than 'careful, third down drop it off' ... I think there is some abuse from Jacksonville and that needs to get out of the system quickly. Nobody in the NFL has time for you to have this history."

Right I mean how long is that gonna be a excuses? he hasn't thrown a ball for jaxsonville since 10/6/2013 he got the raw deal in jaxsonville no one will deny that but time to put your big boy pants on.

Hopefully the win helped drop his nuts and get a little confident lol.

Agree, it can't be used as an excuse. Like Young said, nobody cares or has time for that.

But at the same time, no doubt the abuse he took in Jacksonville caused him to go backwards in his development. He is a rehab project. It's just the reality of the situation.

yup agree

Well let's give Gabbert a year before we start throwing rocks at him and breaking out the pitch forks.

I I could've sworn someone said Gabbert was the best QB Kelly has had to work with. So let's give him a little more time, dude hasn't even started a full season yet for the 49ers.

Gabbert is like Smith in that he is who he is. Smart, safe. Won't necessarily lose you games but won't win you many with his play.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
God I am so tired of people hiding behind the "oh well if you really analyze the play" excuse that fans of bad quarterbacks do. Did the receiver run the correct route? Was his throwing lane blocked? Blah blah blah. Packer fans have no problem saying "that was a s****y throw by Rodgers" when it happens. Why cant fans of s*** quarterbacks do the same?

Blaine was incredibly inaccurate on Monday night. His performance only looked respectable because of the dropped interceptions.

The excuses for the screen passes are killing me. Timing on a screen pass? Are you kidding me? Even we can complete screen passes to anyone at any time. You don't need chemistry lmao.
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Sep 15, 2016 at 2:46 PM ]
I wouldn't say a lot. Every QB in the league has at least 3 throws a game they want back. Gabbert had about 4 or 5.

Eh, I beg to differ. I think he had a ton more bad throws than that. Even some of the completions that resulted in positive yards were terrible throws.
I wouldn't say a lot. Every QB in the league has at least 3 throws a game they want back. Gabbert had about 4 or 5.

If our OL keeps blocking, then I think Gabbert will definitely begin to calm down. I mean, he calmed down as he played more in preseason. It's all about good reps. The more good reps he gets, the more information he has to reference when a similar situation shows up again.

when i say a lot i just mean he had 3 or4 almost picks i mean luckily rams dropped them but those throws cant happen again

our offense was not able to consistantly move up the field well so we cant have many turnovers on O especially against teams that will not just punt the ball back to us like the rams did
Originally posted by harryj:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I like a lot of things Gabbert does, but I hate the erratic accuracy. I counted 4 near interceptions on Monday. Against a better team, that would've likely cost us big.

they were a lot of bad throws

he had a few almost picks some of them couldve been pick 6

If our OL keeps blocking, then I think Gabbert will definitely begin to calm down. I mean, he calmed down as he played more in preseason. It's all about good reps. The more good reps he gets, the more information he has to reference when a similar situation shows up again.

I think his confidence is fragile which causes him to second guess himself. I think he has all the talent in the world but in the NFL talent ain't enough. He'll need 4-5 games of mistake free football where he doesn't turn the ball over or take a beating. If he has a 2 Int game I think it will set him back big time.
[ Edited by sdaddy101269 on Sep 15, 2016 at 2:50 PM ]
God I am so tired of people hiding behind the "oh well if you really analyze the play" excuse that fans of bad quarterbacks do. Did the receiver run the correct route? Was his throwing lane blocked? Blah blah blah. Packer fans have no problem saying "that was a s****y throw by Rodgers" when it happens. Why cant fans of s*** quarterbacks do the same?

Blaine was incredibly inaccurate on Monday night. His performance only looked respectable because of the dropped interceptions.

haha aren't you doing the same thing with the dropped interceptions? Haha never gets old in here!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by harryj:
when i say a lot i just mean he had 3 or4 almost picks i mean luckily rams dropped them but those throws cant happen again

our offense was not able to consistantly move up the field well so we cant have many turnovers on O especially against teams that will not just punt the ball back to us like the rams did

Rams did not drop 3-4 picks.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Rams did not drop 3-4 picks.

im not saying they were easy catches but they were throws that couldve been easily picked off because they are bad throws
People posting hyperbole...

Eh, I beg to differ. I think he had a ton more bad throws than that. Even some of the completions that resulted in positive yards were terrible throws.

Every QB in the league has quite a few terrible completions per game. The main difference right now is that those QB's get more big plays as well.

This is the first game Gabbert has had where get got great blocking. His entire career has required him to drop back and make "Oh s**t! Gotta let it go now! situations. If our OL keeps blocking well, then he will begin to trust it and slow down back there and let the offense unfold and throw the ball with poise and rhythm.

Give him a chance to get more games in behind a comfortable OL.

Also, he's not the QB that will get a WR 150 yards. He's a QB that will get 9 different targets touches because he knows where to go with the ball. Soon, he will realize he actually has the time to get the ball there.

I just realized who I'm talking to...nevermind.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 15, 2016 at 2:53 PM ]

Every QB in the league has quite a few terrible completions per game. The main difference right now is that those QB's get more big plays as well.

This is the first game Gabbert has had where get got great blocking. His entire career has required him to drop back and make "Oh s**t! Gotta let it go now! situations. If our OL keeps blocking well, then he will begin to trust it and slow down back there and let the offense unfold and throw the ball with poise and rhythm.

Also, he's not the QB that will get a WR 150 yards. He's a QB that will get 9 different targets touches because he knows where to go with the ball. Soon, he will realize he actually has the time to get the ball there.

i actually liked a lot of what gabbert showed as he clearly has a great grasp of the offense i also like his football iq he ran at right time to pick up plays
Originally posted by Izyniner:

haha aren't you doing the same thing with the dropped interceptions? Haha never gets old in here!

How am I doing the same? Dropped interception or actual interception doesnt change the fact that they were both s*** throws.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Nice post doc. The best part is that on all the TDs, that's where Blaine faced all the adversity...all 6 drops, both penalties on one drive and a couple bad overthrows due to rushing and poor mechanics...and he still came away with TDs on all 4.

To me, that's the most encouraging thing.

That was something we used to praise CK for. He'd throw an INT and you knew, he'd come right back and score a TD.

So it's a drop if the WR can touch the ball? If your throwing a screen pass ( basically a lateral) put that s**t in his hands. I saw three honest to god drops but I saw more missed throws and a lot of yards left on the field because of bad passes vs dropped balls.

Like pas noted the 6 drops where perfect throws. He wasn't talking about the 7 bad incompletions. There's a big difference.

Sporting Charts seems to have missed four of those six drops.
http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2016/

They did IMHO. Rewatching the game right now I counted four and all were on the first three TD drives. I'm not sure on their operational definition of a drop though.

1st TD drive - 1) pass on the money to Celek but drop; PBU too so it counts as an incompletion
2nd TD drive - 2) pass on the money to Celek but drop; PBU too so it counts as an incompletion "Blaine Gabbert puts it in a great spot." ~ Steve Young 3) Hyde turns head up field and drops it; points to himself in error. " That was just a drop." ~ Chris Berman
3rd TD drive - 4) drop by Torrey Smith on a crosser

NY covered the throw aways, PI passes (2), miscommunications with Kerley, spacing issues with the WRs, inaccuracy, poor back foot mechanics, rushed throws, near picks, dirt balls, etc. on the others 9 incompletions.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 15, 2016 at 3:01 PM ]

WTF? I was ready to write out a response to this entire post and then I see this. You have a problem with me? For what reason?
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Sep 15, 2016 at 3:00 PM ]

WTF? I was ready to write out a response to this entire post and then I see this. You have a problem with me? For what reason?

LOL. Write what you were about to write. Then I will let you know.
Share 49ersWebzone