There are 211 users in the forums

WR is NOT what the 49ers need.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Well who is the Justin Smith replacement? Who is the Ray Mac replacement? They both were injured in the last 2 years and both are getting older. Our NT was lost for the season. I don't think DL is settled. Secondary is obviously a huge need. DL is also a need IMO.

WR is ok. We can pick it later though. It doesn't have to be in the 1st round.

Carradine, Dorsey, Dial, TJE, Williams. Plus Smith and Ray Mac remain on the roster unless you are proposing to cut them.

Roster limit.

Dorsey and Williams are nose tackles. The future need is at DE.

If we take Tuitt, we have:

Justin Smith, Tuitt
Ray McDonald, Carradine, Tony Jerrod Eddie

That is seven defensive linemen--4 defensive ends, two nose tackles, and TJE.

Dial goes to the practice squad.

It could work.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:19 PM ]
Originally posted by mysportbox:
The 49ers need a running game. That is what made the NFC Championship unravel. Kaep couldn't throw because the running game was not working. Don't get me wrong, but Gore is getting older. We need a steamroller for a back to get the hard yards. There is a great blog post on CaliCousins.com about this very topic. I suggest you read it. It talks about running backs past the age of 30 and how they get less productive. the post is here: http://calicousins.com/2014/01/22/what-are-the-49ers-biggest-needs/

Yes I think RB is a real big need. I'm not sure if Marcus Lattimore is the guy? There is huge faith in this guy on the WZ. He got both knees destroyed. Not small tears. Just completely shredded. We have no idea what type of player he can be or if he will be anywhere near as effective?
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by English:
Well who is the Justin Smith replacement? Who is the Ray Mac replacement? They both were injured in the last 2 years and both are getting older. Our NT was lost for the season. I don't think DL is settled. Secondary is obviously a huge need. DL is also a need IMO.

WR is ok. We can pick it later though. It doesn't have to be in the 1st round.

Carradine, Dorsey, Dial, TJE, Williams. Plus Smith and Ray Mac remain on the roster unless you are proposing to cut them.

Roster limit.

Dorsey and Williams are nose tackles. The future need is at DE.

If we take Tuitt, we have:

Justin Smith, Tuitt
Ray McDonald, Carradine, Tony Jerrod Eddie

That is seven defensive linemen--4 defensive ends, two nose tackles, and TJE.

Dial goes to the practice squad.

It could work.

Hageman is just as good. Maybe better. He's Richard Seymour. I'd pick him for sure.

Dial is very average and a 5th rounder. He can be cut if you are worried about roster room or practice squad.
I think we need the best possible football players, at any position. In my opinion, the Seattle game became unmanageable partly because Gore was completely unable to gain yards in the backfield after any contact. I hope that Marcus Lattimore will be able to fix this; he's a guy that(big IF healthy) can gain positive yardage even if the defense gets to him in the backfield. This would inch us closer to third and 4 type situations where either CK can manage to get the first with his legs or arm (think option bootleg style that Young was so great at!) . In terms of the draft, one WR I absolutely love is Brandin Cooks. Cooks, in my humble opinion, is THE guy to get; never missed a game, incredibly live and explosive legs, and can really work off of screens and end arounds. If you have some time, I implore you to please check out the tape on him. He's everything that we wanted Kyle Williams to be(like, in an actual good way), and can probably be had with our first second rounder!

If you watch his highlights, I'd skip to the 2:00 mark (the beginning is like intro fluff type stuff)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfJvQEYRJsw
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Wr is a need. Crab is only signed one more year and Boldin (if he returns) is entering his mid 30's.

We can pick up a WR and still add more talent on defense. It's not like it's one or the other
  • buck
  • Veteran
The 49ers need a running game. That is what made the NFC Championship unravel. Kaep couldn't throw because the running game was not working. Don't get me wrong, but Gore is getting older. We need a steamroller for a back to get the hard yards. There is a great blog post on CaliCousins.com about this very topic. I suggest you read it. It talks about running backs past the age of 30 and how they get less productive. the post is here: http://calicousins.com/2014/01/22/what-are-the-49ers-biggest-needs/

Yes I think RB is a real big need. I'm not sure if Marcus Lattimore is the guy? There is huge faith in this guy on the WZ. He got both knees destroyed. Not small tears. Just completely shredded. We have no idea what type of player he can be or if he will be anywhere near as effective?

More than likely the coaching staff knows what is happening with Lattimore.

We have Lattimore, Hunter, James, and Hampton--and Gore is there. Hampton could surprise.

I do not think running back is a need for this draft.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Wr is a need. Crab is only signed one more year and Boldin (if he returns) is entering his mid 30's.

We can pick up a WR and still add more talent on defense. It's not like it's one or the other

I'm fine with both. I wouldn't mind a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. I don't think we absolutely need one in the 1st round. CB and S are huge needs. DL is also a need.

There's still this guy by the name of Frank Gore on the team. Realistically speaking you're advocating drafting someone who will never touch the ball next season. Lattimore is going to get his shot and we have LaMichael James in the mix as well.
Originally posted by buck:

More than likely the coaching staff knows what is happening with Lattimore.

We have Lattimore, Hunter, James, and Hampton--and Gore is there. Hampton could surprise.

I do not think running back is a need for this draft.

I agree and wouldn't mind seeing them pick another one somewhere in the draft.
Well aside from Watikins, and maybe Evans and Benjamin if you want to throw them in there, I doubt we'd be drafting a WR early anyways just because of the perceived depth in this class.

I can EASILY see them drafting a 3-4 lineman with the first pick or even trading back into the second round, and focusing on moving around in the 2nd round to pluck players we need (WR, CB, Safety)

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:~ Carradine - injured. Could not even play.~ Dial - 360 lbs. Slow, sluggish, not dynamic. He needs to lose weight.~ Smith - getting but still good for now.~ Ray Mac - injured and getting older.~ Dorsey - wasn't even our first choice at the position. Filling in for an injured player.I don't think I would say this is settled. We are relying on a lot of what if stuff here. And hope it works out. Not to mention Navarro Bowman went down. We don't know when he will be back or if he will be the same.

SD--I understand your point but to me WR is a huge need. You just can't have two good WRs and say case closed...particularly when one of them is an unsigned FA. If the team thinks Patton is the real deal that still leaves at least two question marks at the position. Why draft a WR in the first two rounds? Because there is quality through the second round and a CB/S worthy of the position may not be available. The way this team is built, and I have complained about it but it does make some sense, is to have quality across the board and no super stars. Even Skuta filled in at MLB and looked good. In this system there is a premium for experience and knowing your job. That's why a guy can be out but the team keeps chugging along. Only Kaepernick is irreplaceable at this point.

Breaking down your positions:

DL--
1. Carradine-- was a steal in the draft and the team knew he would need a year of rehab.
2. Dial--rookie surprise and a decent (at worst) back-up.
3. Smith--still has at least a few good years left unless he is injured (injuries can happen to any player).
4. McDonald--has been playing better than I ever believed he would but he may need to be replaced in a year or so (see Smith and injuries).
5. Dorsey--new to the team, still came in and did a good job when needed.
6. Jerod-Eddy--played very well in a back-up role and as needed.
7. Dobbs--good all around back-up, recall he did very well with A Smith on stunts a couple of years ago.
8. Okoye--unknown!

I have wanted a monster NT but that's not the way this defense is built so...to heck with it.

ILB
Brooks has played ILB, Skuta, Wilhoite...but I agree if Bowman can't come back they need to find a replacement. They are not likely to find that guy in the draft. Much more likely to fill in FAcy or from within.

S
Yes, I agree completely and there are numerous safeties listed as second/third round placement that I would be happy to see drafted. Buchanon, Ward, Dixon and Loston are all 2/3 on the CBS list. Actually, just checked and Loston has dropped on their list to 4th round. The only safety I see listed as a first rounder is Clinton-Dix and he is slotted above the niners pick.

CB
This is your best argument to compete with WR need. There are a couple of CBs listed toward the end of the first round that might be tempting. But that still leaves the two seconds and three thirds open for quality WRs, S, LB, DL, C, or CBs.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Stanley:
Well aside from Watikins, and maybe Evans and Benjamin if you want to throw them in there, I doubt we'd be drafting a WR early anyways just because of the perceived depth in this class.

I can EASILY see them drafting a 3-4 lineman with the first pick or even trading back into the second round, and focusing on moving around in the 2nd round to pluck players we need (WR, CB, Safety)

If it's one of those 3 I may be ok with a WR high. But I think all 3 will be gone by the time we draft. And I don't think we will use as much ammo as it would take to trade up that far to get one of them.

If a top player is not there I would not mind a trade back into the 2nd round giving us 3 2nd's and an extra pick of some sort. We could deal up and deal down in the 2nd and get the players we really want at positions we really need.

I understand there is cause for concern about Lattimore given his injury history but we're not going to just close the door on Latt and draft another RB before giving him a shot to see what we have with him.

He may be the guy, he may not be. We don't know yet. Let's see what he can do for us first. But from all reports and updates the team and Dr. Andrews has given on his rehab and how he's coming along, all signs point to optimism.
It's a BIG need and we need to take a flyer or two each draft. We lucked out with Crabs because the Raiders were idiots. And everyone knows Boldin was a gift last year and he may not be with us this time around.

Sorry, but we CAN focus on our other needs + WR.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
It's a BIG need and we need to take a flyer or two each draft. We lucked out with Crabs because the Raiders were idiots. And everyone knows Boldin was a gift last year and he may not be with us this time around.

Sorry, but we CAN focus on our other needs + WR.

I'd be ok with that. It's just not the only need. And IMO the best way for this to carry on is to restock a powerhouse defense. That's the way this team is built.
Share 49ersWebzone