LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

WR is NOT what the 49ers need.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
It's a BIG need and we need to take a flyer or two each draft. We lucked out with Crabs because the Raiders were idiots. And everyone knows Boldin was a gift last year and he may not be with us this time around.

Sorry, but we CAN focus on our other needs + WR.

I'd be ok with that. It's just not the only need. And IMO the best way for this to carry on is to restock a powerhouse defense. That's the way this team is built.

Oh yeah of course. I'd s**t my pants if we could draft a safety like buchannon and a cb like gilbert with our first two. But we can't shy away from wide receivers just because Kap this and Kap don't. Hey very well may progress big time next year. And it's not like anything was different with Alex Smith in 2011 -- his top two targets: Vernon Davis & Michael Crabtree.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I'd be ok with that. It's just not the only need. And IMO the best way for this to carry on is to restock a powerhouse defense. That's the way this team is built.

Your thread title makes it sound like it's not a need at all.
It's a BIG need and we need to take a flyer or two each draft. We lucked out with Crabs because the Raiders were idiots. And everyone knows Boldin was a gift last year and he may not be with us this time around.

Sorry, but we CAN focus on our other needs + WR.

Oh yeah of course. I'd s**t my pants if we could draft a safety like buchannon and a cb like gilbert with our first two. But we can't shy away from wide receivers just because Kap this and Kap don't. Hey very well may progress big time next year. And it's not like anything was different with Alex Smith in 2011 -- his top two targets: Vernon Davis & Michael Crabtree.

He may progress with his reads and I hope he does. I like that draft of those 2 you listed though.....
Originally posted by Hopper:

I don't think it is a top need the way this team is built and who is playing QB and where he is at right now in his progress to try to become a better pocket passer.
Somebody page my boy Rascal...
  • fryet
  • Veteran
So it sounds like SanDiego is ok with a WR so long as it is not the primary goal in the first. IMO the first round pick will be used to pick a replacement for a starter that we lose in free agency. If Boldin leaves then it could be WR. IMO, the position that could upgrade the 49ers the most is Center. If we get a good run blocking center, then that could pay huge dividends for our running game.

Here is my position analysis:
DL: Starters are set accross the line so I would not spend a first. 2nd maybe.
LB: Starters are set and we have backups. Low rounds only, except maybe OLB.
DB: Safety worthy of a first. We do well with low round CB, so not a pressing need for corners, but draft is rich in CB, so we may end up drafting a CB in the first.

WR: Need a replacement for Boldin in the future and it takes a WR time to develop. Must draft one, any round acceptable.
QB: Need a backup - any round acceptable
RB: Logjam currently - do not draft even if we cut Gore
TE: Low round only
OL: Center is a need, and guard is a backup need plus low round pick on backup tackle
  • GORO
  • Veteran
** I do not believe we should draft a wr in the first round. I agree we are built by defense and running the ball. What the 49ers need is to sign Boldin and then trade up and grab EBRON this will allow the 49ers to use 2 and 3 te sets to exploit teams especially the Sea hawks. But if the team wants to stay were they are then a Saftey or Corner first will be the best choices.
Need help in the secondary, RB, and trenches. We need to become more physical.
Originally posted by GORO:
** I do not believe we should draft a wr in the first round. I agree we are built by defense and running the ball. What the 49ers need is to sign Boldin and then trade up and grab EBRON this will allow the 49ers to use 2 and 3 te sets to exploit teams especially the Sea hawks. But if the team wants to stay were they are then a Saftey or Corner first will be the best choices.

I agree with those a lot.
Originally posted by dhp318:
Need help in the secondary, RB, and trenches. We need to become more physical.

We need a 6'3" CB who will hold all the way down the field and talk trash everytime a camera is in his face.....

Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by mysportbox:
The 49ers need a running game. That is what made the NFC Championship unravel. Kaep couldn't throw because the running game was not working. Don't get me wrong, but Gore is getting older. We need a steamroller for a back to get the hard yards. There is a great blog post on CaliCousins.com about this very topic. I suggest you read it. It talks about running backs past the age of 30 and how they get less productive. the post is here: http://calicousins.com/2014/01/22/what-are-the-49ers-biggest-needs/

Yes I think RB is a real big need. I'm not sure if Marcus Lattimore is the guy? There is huge faith in this guy on the WZ. He got both knees destroyed. Not small tears. Just completely shredded. We have no idea what type of player he can be or if he will be anywhere near as effective?

More than likely the coaching staff knows what is happening with Lattimore.

We have Lattimore, Hunter, James, and Hampton--and Gore is there. Hampton could surprise.

I do not think running back is a need for this draft.

I think Hampton takes Dixon's spot.

I don't think it is a top need the way this team is built and who is playing QB and where he is at right now in his progress to try to become a better pocket passer.

Backtracking. Read your own thread title. NOT (your caps) what the 49ers need. Which means, we won't take one at all or maybe just a day 3 guy.
Originally posted by English:

Backtracking. Read your own thread title. NOT (your caps) what the 49ers need. Which means, we won't take one at all or maybe just a day 3 guy.

I'd be ok with day 2 or day 3. I don't prefer day one unless we can get a top tier guy. Which I think will be gone. So at #30 it would be a reach for who is left.
We need to shore up the secondary and the D line, the LB's are strong unless Bowman can't be Bowman anymore.

We need a new center, a physical aggressive center. We can always use another WR, we still don't have that one superstar WR that some teams do have.
Red zone offense remains the Niners biggest weakness, it has been that way for many years. We need to be able to run the ball and call pass plays that make it easier to score touchdowns. Relying on fade routes is not the key to red zone success.
It all depends on FA and the status of Boldin, Whitner, and Brown. I would rank the 3 in the likely hood of resigning as Boldin > Brown > Whitner. I just don't think their is going to be that big of a market for Brown after the injury. I am more worried about safety, as Whitner should go for big money.

But your right about Kap, if he is not going to develop peripheral vision, progression, and checkdowns than they need to be an elite defense with a strong running game. Luckily Kap is still young and is still developing and wants to develop. Hopefully this offseason without all the hype, he will focus on what makes him a better QB and not a better entertainer (athleticism, marketing, etc).

Whatever they do, they need to start grooming players with the mid round picks to be the heir apparent at all these positions and the interior line.
Share 49ersWebzone