LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 350 users in the forums

WR is NOT what the 49ers need.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
A WR is not the greatest need for this 49ers team. Both in FA and the draft the value would be minimal. We have a 1 read QB who doesn't know how to read defenses, adjust on the fly, find a 2nd or 3rd option and go to his alternate options. He doesn't use the WR's and TE's he has on the field right now. He has Boldin, Crabtree and Davis and he is easily capable of a 150 yards passing game with all that talent. You don't need perfect weapons. Tom Brady makes the WR's and TE's around him better even though they are scrubs. Brady doesn't have anywhere near the talent Kaep is throwing too.

Look at the Ravens and Joe Flacco. They gave him a big $20 million a year contract and the team imploded. Lost all their key FA's, can't afford salaries anymore of supporting players and they did a nose dive into mediocrity.

This 49ers team is built for DEFENSE, O LINE, and RUNNING GAME. That's how we made the NFC Championship game 3 years in a row with 2 different QB's I might add. The 49ers will decline massively if the D goes. Just like the NFCCG it was the only thing holding us in the game. A good special teams will always help this team too and should be emphasized. We need better kick coverage.

Justin Smith is getting older. Ray Mac tore his arm and was less effective. We lost or NT to injury early in the year. Navorro Bowman perhaps one of our most instinctive players got his knee shredded. He may or may not be ready for the year when it starts. He may or may not be the same ever. Our CB's are a little suspect IMO. Rogers is making way too much and will be gone as a cap casualty. Brown may leave in FA. Culliver is coming off injury. I like Brock a lot and he is very instinctive and aggressive with the ball in the air but he doesn't do everything perfect. Plus he needs help out there. I like Reid a lot and he has a great future but Whitner who played really well may leave.

We have big needs at DL, ILB, S, CB. We should build that out with some fast, big, younger players who are cheaper on the cap and are the future for the long term. This team will go as far as the DEFENSE carries it. That has been proven out by 2 different QB's for 3 seasons now. This is not an offensive driven team. Certainly not an air attack which ranks near the bottom routinely.

The WZ wants a WR in FA or draft every year for the last 10 years. They are Matt Millen. But it doesn't matter who your WR's are if your QB will just look at 1. And when the game is on the line he will throw to Crabtree who is covered like a glove by Richard Sherman while ignoring all other aspects of the field including wide open WR's. It doesn't matter how many WR's you have on this team.

A defense holding the other team down is this teams best chance to win. No way in the world Kaep wins with an average defense. He's just not capable of it right now. Will he be in the future? Who knows? He's not right now. That is for sure.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:00 AM ]
Let's be very clear . If this thread degenerates, like so many have, to another pointless argument about Kaepernick the thread will be locked and warnings handed out.

On the specific subject itself with last years draftees I am not sure how many DL we need and I see little point in spending high picks on them. Bowman will be back so I see little point in spending high picks on ILBs. Skuta looked good. So just some work in the defensive backfield.

And a wide receiver. One high pick and one low pick.

Now keep it clean.
Bowman may never be the same. We don't know that for sure. And we have a lot of needs in the secondary. Ray Mac tore up his arm as was not the same. Justin Smith is getting older. Our NT was lost early in the year.

All I'm saying is a powerhouse top 3 type Defense will help Kaep who is still learning. He's not going to carry a team like Peyton Manning can without a great Defense or like Tom Brady can. This will actually help him. We should invest in keeping the defense strong. Very strong.

It's our best chance to win the way this team is built currently.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:26 AM ]
i agree with english. we drafted dial and carridine in the front 7 and have some young oline guys waiting for a shot to start. we need speed and size outside. kap is not a bad qb dude, youre just still pissed about how the game ended like a lot of us are. the guy hasnt lost many games in his short time as a starter and won 3 road playoff games. thats not the definition of a loser qb to me. we need a bigger SS and CB so we can beat up on receivers and stop the run if it gets passed our front 7 and we need those burners on offense to get passed the bigger slower DBs in our division. simple as that.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If Boldin doesn't come back we'll need a wr.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i agree with english. we drafted dial and carridine in the front 7 and have some young oline guys waiting for a shot to start. we need speed and size outside. kap is not a bad qb dude, youre just still pissed about how the game ended like a lot of us are. the guy hasnt lost many games in his short time as a starter and won 3 road playoff games. thats not the definition of a loser qb to me. we need a bigger SS and CB so we can beat up on receivers and stop the run if it gets passed our front 7 and we need those burners on offense to get passed the bigger slower DBs in our division. simple as that.

Dial looked slow and sluggish to me. IMO the idea to get him up to 360 lbs. was a mistake. I think he should be about 320 lbs. and lose weight. He will be quicker and more dynamic. Carradine had a knee that bothered him so much he couldn't even play his first year at all. We have no idea what we got there. He could be a complete bust. Or always injured.

Yes we need bigger CB's and S's so we can beat up and hold and jam WR's and dominate. We need to become a big, phyisical, mean defense in the secondary.
We need infusion of talent on offense. Receivers and RB. Whether it's Patton or another WR some where in the draft or FA. We also need someone else other than Frank Gore as the mainstay runner. This may be Lattimore, Hunter, James.

But I rather have improved receiver talent, specifically in the area of speed, to coincide with Kaep's improvement by experience next year. Right now, other teams are putting their best CB on Crabs, play zone on VD, Boldin, and Patton. With a lot of attention on VD and Boldin as those 2 moved around the field. We need one more receiver with speed and size to blow through that. It could be Patton but I'd rather get another from the draft.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:36 AM ]
  • dugo
  • Veteran
I gotta disagree,The 9ers will need a WR one that poses a downfield threat whether thats via draft or FA it doesn't matter they will need one..I do agree thats its not as pressing as a lot of people believe . A WR will not fix the O,, for me IMHO the team needs a quality "center" and some o-line depth that offers a little more pass blocking on certain play calling ..Kaep will grow and I believe made a lot of strides this year, but just seems he would take 3 steps forward and 4 backwards at times definitely needs to go thru his progressions better, I would like to believe he will grow into this more and more but I think he needs to trust his o-line to give him the time he needs as well.
I also think we need a replacement for Gore He is still a hell of a running back unfortunately he has a lot of miles on him and seemed to tire torward the end of the season. Which how could you blame him. I don't see Hunter taking the full share of the load,,and until we Lattimore play with the big boys can the niners bank on him??
Most definitely agree on the D part of your thread..ILB is a big need with Bowman hurt and who knows how well he will come back from that bad of a injury, We can only hope for the best for him not just from a game aspect but that recovers fully for himself!..I do hope the 9ers keep the fresh rotation of quality of young and veteran defensive players coming in cause like you said the 49ers are built on D and to stay competitive they will need to continue to bring in players that upgrade the D,,So far so good….hope it just continues.
[ Edited by dugo on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
If Boldin doesn't come back we'll need a wr.

Maybe. But we don't need it necessarily in the 1st round. I would rather have a CB or S or even a pass rusher there. Or even a big, powerful D Linemen. We can get one in the 2nd or 3rd round. We don't have to reach. We have Patton open all the time and he doesn't get the ball thrown his way anyway.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Dial looked slow and sluggish to me. IMO the idea to get him up to 360 lbs. was a mistake. I think he should be about 320 lbs. and lose weight. He will be quicker and more dynamic. Carradine had a knee that bothered him so much he couldn't even play his first year at all. We have no idea what we got there. He could be a complete bust. Or always injured.

Yes we need bigger CB's and S's so we can beat up and hold and jam WR's and dominate. We need to become a big, phyisical, mean defense in the secondary.

There is a roster limit. And I note that you are prepared to write people off after one year and little playing time. We are simply not going to keep on accumulating DL when we have other needs like receivers.

Originally posted by dugo:
I gotta disagree,The 9ers will need a WR one that poses a downfield threat whether thats via draft or FA it doesn't matter they will need one..I do agree thats its not as pressing as a lot of people believe . A WR will not fix the O,, for me IMHO the team needs a quality "center" and some o-line depth that offers a little more pass blocking on certain play calling ..Kaep will grow and I believe made a lot of strides this year, but just seems he would take 3 steps forward and 4 backwards at times definitely needs to go thru his progressions better, I would like to believe he will grow into this more and more but I think he needs to trust his o-line to give him the time he needs as well.
I also think we need a replacement for Gore He is still a hell of a running back unfortunately he has a lot of miles on him and seemed to tire torward the end of the season. Which how could you blame him. I don't see Hunter taking the full share of the load,,and until we Lattimore play with the big boys can the niners bank on him??
Most definitely agree on the D part of your thread..ILB is a big need with Bowman hurt and who knows how well he will come back from that bad of a injury, We can only hope for the best for him not just from a game aspect but that recovers fully for himself!..I do hope the 9ers keep the fresh rotation of quality of young and veteran defensive players coming in cause like you said the 49ers are built on D and stay competitive they will need to continue to bring in players that upgrade the D,,So far so good….hope it just continues.

I agree with the bolded a lot.

I'm not against a RB somewhere. We don't have any idea of Lattimore can be the guy. He got both knees absolutely destroyed in college. IMO the WZ is expected a lot from him and he may or may not deliver. We need something younger than Frank Gore now. That is for sure.
Originally posted by English:

There is a roster limit. And I note that you are prepared to write people off after one year and little playing time. We are simply not going to keep on accumulating DL when we have other needs like receivers.

Well who is the Justin Smith replacement? Who is the Ray Mac replacement? They both were injured in the last 2 years and both are getting older. Our NT was lost for the season. I don't think DL is settled. Secondary is obviously a huge need. DL is also a need IMO.

WR is ok. We can pick it later though. It doesn't have to be in the 1st round.
Originally posted by English:
Let's be very clear . If this thread degenerates, like so many have, to another pointless argument about Kaepernick the thread will be locked and warnings handed out.

On the specific subject itself with last years draftees I am not sure how many DL we need and I see little point in spending high picks on them. Bowman will be back so I see little point in spending high picks on ILBs. Skuta looked good. So just some work in the defensive backfield.

And a wide receiver. One high pick and one low pick.

Now keep it clean.

Uh oh. Mods are doing there jobs now
If we build out this defense into a super powerhouse of young, big, fast players that will make it easier on Kaep who is still learning and growing and going through some growing pains. We will actually help him out with this. It's the best way forward IMO. This team is not built like a Peyton Manning team where he can carry it into the Super Bowl without one of the best defenses in the NFL. This will go as far as the defense carries it. That's been proven for 3 years now.
If we build out this defense into a super powerhouse of young, big, fast players that will make it easier on Kaep who is still learning and growing and going through some growing pains. We will actually help him out with this. It's the best way forward IMO. This team is not built like a Peyton Manning team where he can carry it into the Super Bowl without one of the best defenses in the NFL. This will go as far as the defense carries it. That's been proven for 3 years now.

We still need weapons for kap. Theres no guarantee that boldin is coming back this year or that crabtree comes back after next year.
Share 49ersWebzone