LISTEN: 49ers Drafted For Now And The Future →

There are 91 users in the forums

What is Kaeps worth....?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What is Kaeps worth....?

Originally posted by Buchy:
Selective.

Montana played snaps in every game in 1979, took over as starter mid-way through 1980 and won it in 1981 with arguably one of the greatest coaches using a revolutionary offensive system.

If you think that not being Joe Montana is a knock on Kap, well I got news for you about the other 40+ QB's in the league.

Reading my post you evidently missed the comment that, "while it's unfair to compare any QB to Montana, I wanted to point out similarities in our own team's history." Montana started 8 games before 1981, and did have some plays in other games...very similar to Kaepernick who was inserted into some games before he became a starter. Does any of this mean our expectations for Kaepernick should be much lower? No, I think not. My expectations are for him to become a cool, calm winner. Nothing less. If he is less than this then they need to find someone else to play the position...don't care how much potential a guy has if he doesn't actualize it in games.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
The coaching was obviously superior in Walsh vs Haroman... but at the end of the day, players need to execute. We need our signal-caller to not crap down his leg with turnovers and impotence in the 4th quarter. Plays were there to be made, and players open. Just got to stand tall and hit them.

Agree and really think Kaepernick has not had the kind of individual instruction Walsh gave Montana...why not? Is it too much to ask that he be totally broken down every off season and retooled regarding drop backs, ball security, field vision, etc? I think not. The youtube videos of Walsh running his QBs through the basics during minicamps would be a good starting point.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The coaching was obviously superior in Walsh vs Haroman... but at the end of the day, players need to execute. We need our signal-caller to not crap down his leg with turnovers and impotence in the 4th quarter. Plays were there to be made, and players open. Just got to stand tall and hit them.

Agree and really think Kaepernick has not had the kind of individual instruction Walsh gave Montana...why not? Is it too much to ask that he be totally broken down every off season and retooled regarding drop backs, ball security, field vision, etc? I think not. The youtube videos of Walsh running his QBs through the basics during minicamps would be a good starting point.

Yes indeed. Can't say for sure, but it seems as if Jim gets so busy with all aspects of the game that sometimes he may neglect to be that "QB whisperer" to Kaep. Sometimes, even smart QBs need reminders of the basics like pocket presence, solid footwork, and a simple understanding that you don't need to force stupid sh*t on 1st down. Read the field, take strategic shots, and if the big play is not there? check it elsewhere, run, or throw it OoB.
Yes indeed. Can't say for sure, but it seems as if Jim gets so busy with all aspects of the game that sometimes he may neglect to be that "QB whisperer" to Kaep. Sometimes, even smart QBs need reminders of the basics like pocket presence, solid footwork, and a simple understanding that you don't need to force stupid sh*t on 1st down. Read the field, take strategic shots, and if the big play is not there? check it elsewhere, run, or throw it OoB.

Argh...don't remind me it was first down! I had forced it from my mind! LOL! Such as waste...second year in a row! By the way... Good morning!

Argh...don't remind me it was first down! I had forced it from my mind! LOL! Such as waste...second year in a row! By the way... Good morning!

... and to you, good sir!
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
At the end of the day, he just turned 26, and was finishing his first full season as an NFL starter. Put any 26 year old QB with less than 30 starts in the Title game and tell him to beat the NFL's best D on the road, and see what happens.

It may be unfair to compare anyone to Joe Montana but I want to point out--Montana was 25, with fewer games as a starter when he won his first Super Bowl. He was also a third round draft choice and the Super Bowl MVP. So while you can say Kaepernick is only 26 with one full year as a starter, it is not unreasonable to expect more, given our own team history. I expect big things from Kaepernick, and still believe he will deliver. He just needs a more creative passing offense and some tutoring on QB basics.

I wonder if Saints fans are questioning Drew Brees as their starter, he only put up 8 pts against the same defense in the same building. And his running game was functional.
[ Edited by Nuns on Jan 27, 2014 at 7:13 AM ]
would love to bring in a veteran backup qb for cheap...is there any out there???
Montana is inhuman lol I keep forgeting how successful he was so early,

I think we should extend him....no matter what teams don't let qbs go. romo and cutler were signed and kaep is already more successful than them. Just hope we have enough chips for crabs and aldon smith
Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by Niners99:
At the end of the day, he just turned 26, and was finishing his first full season as an NFL starter. Put any 26 year old QB with less than 30 starts in the Title game and tell him to beat the NFL's best D on the road, and see what happens.

It may be unfair to compare anyone to Joe Montana but I want to point out--Montana was 25, with fewer games as a starter when he won his first Super Bowl. He was also a third round draft choice and the Super Bowl MVP. So while you can say Kaepernick is only 26 with one full year as a starter, it is not unreasonable to expect more, given our own team history. I expect big things from Kaepernick, and still believe he will deliver. He just needs a more creative passing offense and some tutoring on QB basics.

I wonder if Saints fans are questioning Drew Brees as their starter, he only put up 8 pts against the same defense in the same building. And his running game was functional.

Not sure if Saints fans are smart enough... but if Brees throw a game ending pick into the end zone on 1st down with his receiver covered by Sherman step for step while one of the other receiver standing wide open waiting for the ball...hell yeah, they should question Brees. Like maybe he went retard for a second there

I love those videos and couldn't agree more.

Originally posted by Nuns:

You mean the Saints only put up 8 points.
Originally posted by CanadianNinersfan16:
It could happen, but it shouldn't. I'd rather use our high draft picks on things we need. We don't need another QB.

And that other QB won his (home) playoff game via: the defence gifting him 5 turnovers.

We do need a backup QB. With all the picks we have taking one with one of our 6 picks in the first 3 rounds almost seems like a necessity at this point. Assuming it is someone the front office/coaching staff wants anyways.
Niners should not extend him until his contract is up. He knows and everyone else knows he will make a hell of a lot more money if he wins the Superbowl. Give him even more incentive to work his ass off to get this team a ring.
As I understand it, the deadline to sign a new contract is mid November? I wouldn't be surprised to see Baalke hold off until that date if Kaepernick's agent plays hard ball on the contract.
Who knows Maybe Kap won't even ask for a ridiculous contract maybe he values you winning over anything and if he gets a crazy deal he knows that will cripple the team
Share 49ersWebzone