LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 175 users in the forums

Analysis from the Green Bay Packers coaches film

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
49ers shut down the GB offense in the 1st quarter. Here are some of the highlight plays from the 1st quarter that had Rodgers pressured and gun shy. It was obvious GB tried to establish the running attack to open the game.

The 1st drive consisted of 2 Lacy runs (1, 7) and a Kuhn run (fumble) on 3rd and 2. Failed conversion. Punt.

The 2nd drive:
- Lacy 1 yard run.
- Sacked on 2nd down
- False start
- Failed on 3rd and 16

The 2nd down play: The 49ers will demonstrate 'pattern matching' to perfection. Playing man coverage in your zone can prevents things like pick plays and clear out routes. The player to watch is Cox #20 (lined up over JNelson in the slot) and Willis. Jordy Nelson will look for a pick from the fullback to create separation.

Below: Cox does not follow Nelson across the formation because he knows Willis is on the other side waiting for someone to come into his zone.The pick never occurs.

Endzone cam: Rodgers is first read is over the middle of the field.

Same play: Once Nelson enters Willis' zone, Willis will man up on him. No mesh to be had on this play, Packers. Try again. Rodgers can't pull the trigger and takes a sack.

The play on the live telecast. No where to throw, no where to run. Willis is seen running with Jordy, who started off on the other side of the formation.

3rd drive:
Starts off with a Rodgers sack and fumble: GB is predicting man coverage on this play and will utilize man busting concepts on both sides of the formation. To Rodgers' right is the mesh concept. To the left, there is a slant and a double move. It's a good playcall versus the 49ers' defense playcall.

Below: Rodgers' first read is to the mesh concept. Brock uses his hands to tie up the slant. Cox is too close to the WR for Rodgers' to make the pass to the quick out. Rodger's will not pull the trigger on his first read.

Below: Rodger's first read is to his right, the mesh. Thanks to Justin blowing up the middle, there is little time for a second read. Brooks/Aldon come in to clean up.

Same play:

So at this point, Rodgers has yet to complete a pass in the quarter. On the very next play, GB calls an easy pass for Rodgers', a screen pass.

Not much to show here. The play never materializes. Aldon with good play recognition holds up his rush as he sees a jailbreak up the middle with RayMac and Justin.

On 3rd and 15, GB runs a draw play to Lacy and a rain of boos come down from the home crowd.

Lol willis just touches his man and lets him run by
Th, I've noticed we've been motioning Boldin a lot and as a result, getting him clean resleases and that has worked to perfection.

And another thing...we were in 3-5 WR sets the mass majority of the game. That's very encouraging!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 7, 2014 at 6:27 PM ]
Great Job johnnydel, Love your assessments.
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Aldon really has become a great run defender. Here are the grades PFF gave the players for the game

Could you explain the grading system I don't know what I am seeing?

Here you go: https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

Also take it for what it's worth, but PFF says that in 2 of 3 of the games Tukuafu has played in would've been Bruce Millers 2'nd and 3'rd best run blocking graded games of the season.

Does this mean that Staley, Boone, and Davis did well and Goodwin and Iupati, and V. Davis did not do so well?

On defense it would show Willis did a little above average and Bowman was a little below average? How am I to understand J. Smith was he good or bad in the Green Bay game?
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Red is below average and green is better than average. Iupati did bad in run and pass blocking, Goodwin did bad in run blocking, and the other linemen did well in both. Justin Smith was rated as below average in pass and run defense, but not by much; pretty close to average. Also Tarell Brown and Reid did great in pass coverage, but Cox didn't.

Also shows that in 29 pass rush attempts Brooks got 2 sacks and 5 hurries, which is very good. Aldon had 23 pass rushes, 2 sacks, 1 hit, 2 hurries.
Red is below average and green is better than average. Iupati did bad in run and pass blocking, Goodwin did bad in run blocking, and the other linemen did well in both. Justin Smith was rated as below average in pass and run defense, but not by much; pretty close to average. Also Tarell Brown and Reid did great in pass coverage, but Cox didn't.

Also shows that in 29 pass rush attempts Brooks got 2 sacks and 5 hurries, which is very good. Aldon had 23 pass rushes, 2 sacks, 1 hit, 2 hurries.

The only problem I have with that analytical breakdown is that it doesn't take into account circumstances. What it does is grade based off who was lined up in front of you-who made the tackle and off whose butt(gap - I just say butt cause that's really where it's off) the run ends up going. It doesn't give an accurate assessment of actual assignment execution by each individual. Those stats can be helpful but only tell one part of the story. That's why the film is so important and so many coaches gameplan off the film and not PFF.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by thl408:
49ers shut down the GB offense in the 1st quarter. Here are some of the highlight plays from the 1st quarter that had Rodgers pressured and gun shy. It was obvious GB tried to establish the running attack to open the game.

The 1st drive consisted of 2 Lacy runs (1, 7) and a Kuhn run (fumble) on 3rd and 2. Failed conversion. Punt.

The 2nd drive:
- Lacy 1 yard run.
- Sacked on 2nd down
- False start
- Failed on 3rd and 16

The 2nd down play: The 49ers will demonstrate 'pattern matching' to perfection. Playing man coverage in your zone can prevents things like pick plays and clear out routes. The player to watch is Cox #20 (lined up over JNelson in the slot) and Willis. Jordy Nelson will look for a pick from the fullback to create separation.

Below: Cox does not follow Nelson across the formation because he knows Willis is on the other side waiting for someone to come into his zone.The pick never occurs.

Endzone cam: Rodgers is first read is over the middle of the field.

Same play: Once Nelson enters Willis' zone, Willis will man up on him. No mesh to be had on this play, Packers. Try again. Rodgers can't pull the trigger and takes a sack.

The play on the live telecast. No where to throw, no where to run. Willis is seen running with Jordy, who started off on the other side of the formation.

3rd drive:
Starts off with a Rodgers sack and fumble: GB is predicting man coverage on this play and will utilize man busting concepts on both sides of the formation. To Rodgers' right is the mesh concept. To the left, there is a slant and a double move. It's a good playcall versus the 49ers' defense playcall.

Below: Rodgers' first read is to the mesh concept. Brock uses his hands to tie up the slant. Cox is too close to the WR for Rodgers' to make the pass to the quick out. Rodger's will not pull the trigger on his first read.

Below: Rodger's first read is to his right, the mesh. Thanks to Justin blowing up the middle, there is little time for a second read. Brooks/Aldon come in to clean up.

Same play:

So at this point, Rodgers has yet to complete a pass in the quarter. On the very next play, GB calls an easy pass for Rodgers', a screen pass.

Not much to show here. The play never materializes. Aldon with good play recognition holds up his rush as he sees a jailbreak up the middle with RayMac and Justin.

On 3rd and 15, GB runs a draw play to Lacy and a rain of boos come down from the home crowd.

Lol willis just touches his man and lets him run by

I think that's because Bowman is supposed to take the TE. If you're an ILB playing pattern match, what I always ran in that kind of coverage as a LB was never designated as a specific person but it was something like, "Back out on my side", or "if no back out TE running on my side of the field". Because Lacey starts inside the TE he's Bowman's man pre-snap, but, because the TE releases inside and the RB Lacey steps out for a PB, it should've been passed off to Bowman with Willis shadowing Lacey. You see Willis look in and put his hand up as if he's keeping the TE from screening him from his receiver the RB but see's Bowman step up to Lacey which is when Willis turns to run with the TE. Pattern match man-coverage requires smart fast reactions from your defenders. They have to understand based off the receivers first step where they are releasing to and identify who their man is. It also requires a lot of discipline and "do your job" football. When the guys try and do another guys job, that's when things go awry; think of Goldson letting Julio Jones get behind him in the NFCCG last year.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I think that's because Bowman is supposed to take the TE. If you're an ILB playing pattern match, what I always ran in that kind of coverage as a LB was never designated as a specific person but it was something like, "Back out on my side", or "if no back out TE running on my side of the field". Because Lacey starts inside the TE he's Bowman's man pre-snap, but, because the TE releases inside and the RB Lacey steps out for a PB, it should've been passed off to Bowman with Willis shadowing Lacey. You see Willis look in and put his hand up as if he's keeping the TE from screening him from his receiver the RB but see's Bowman step up to Lacey which is when Willis turns to run with the TE. Pattern match man-coverage requires smart fast reactions from your defenders. They have to understand based off the receivers first step where they are releasing to and identify who their man is. It also requires a lot of discipline and "do your job" football. When the guys try and do another guys job, that's when things go awry; think of Goldson letting Julio Jones get behind him in the NFCCG last year.

Makes a lot of sense. Makes chemistry and trust that much more important. Almost like high risk high reward isn't it?
  • thl408
Originally posted by Adusoron:
Jonnydel, what did you think of Colin's progress in the pocket progressing through his reads in this playoff game? I listed to Greg Cosell's analysis with Tom Tolbert (interview yesterday evening on KNBR).

Cosell admitted he's perplexed by QBs like Newton and CK7 and not sure how to judge them as quarterbacks because they are clearly gifted runners who are unfinished passers. He believes (and I agree) and there has to be a balance in when you have your QB abandoning the pocket on a scramble and when you have the QB hang in there, shift/reset his feet, and make additional reads. He wasn't saying Colin or JH are wrong in how they approached the Green Bay game, but he implied that CK7 is still jumping to running/leaving the pocket too soon and not developing his read progression skills a la Brady/Brees/Manning pocket QB style.

Cosell also theorized that at some point, you face a defense competent at taking away the scrambling and read option lanes. (Carolina and Seattle are clearly two of those types of defenses and are likely the next two teams we play, assuming a win in CAR). He said he is concerned that when those defenses set up against a Newton or CK7's scrambling/RO tendency, without having developed read progression skills, the passing offense is in trouble.

We all saw what happened @SEA, IND, CAR, and @NO. In those four games, Colin was criticized soundly for playing poorly in the pocket, missing reads, abandoning the pocket too early, etc. And in all those games, we lost. (I realize there are many mitigating factors like Crabtree and Davis being injured, and the rest of the receiving corps being subpar or Roman having occasional brainfarts in his playcall and play design but my focus is on Colin.)

Based on what you've seen in the GB tape, and judging Cosells' comments above, are you concerned about CAR or SEA forcing Colin into being a strict pocket passer and have you seen enough progression in Colin's game that he can avoid repeating the four losses?

I started watching film after the Seattle game; since then, I've gone back and watched just about every game this year and every game since and a couple games from last season in the playoffs. Here's what I can say to this regard:

Last year in the playoffs, Colin wanted to see his receiver open against zone coverage before he threw it. He was very successful against zone coverages because the underneath defenders were usually pulled up by his running ability and he has a strong arm to drive the ball down the field. Against man coverage he was able to take off and run. Where he struggled was against a rush that collapsed the pocket and against exotic coverages.

What I've seen this year is an increasing ability to anticipate when a receiver will be open against zone coverages. He's also done a much better job of recognizing pre-snap, when a defense is going to be in either man or zone coverage(a lot like what I showed earlier). There has been times when there has been a receiver open when he's run, but there's also an element of what it does to a defense when he starts to run(I'll show later). I've seen him have the ability to get to his 3rd, 4th and 5th reads. When he struggles to go through his progression isn't that much different than other Qb's, it's when he's under pressure from the DL. His biggest strength is also his weakness, not his ability to run, but his absolute trust in his receivers. This has given some big plays, but also kept him from moving on from some of his progressions.

I think he views his running not as much as a "bailout" but as a read in itself. When he's reading the coverage I think there are times when he see's his lane as a runner as a better option than the receiver who's open. Sometimes he's trying to avoid the rush, other times I think it's truly the better option.

I have seen a lot of growth from him in his ability to read the defense and he now has a couple guys who he can look to who really can beat a 1-1 coverage.

If you're trying to evaluate them the same as a guy like Drew Brees, he's not there. Brees using the run as a bailout and a way to make something out of nothing. I think Kaep uses his running as another read in the passing game sometimes. If you try and evaluate them the same, you'll be perplexed because it seems like he's bailing out too soon, you always want the QB to find the open receiver as the best option. If you evaluate it as taking the best option out of the read of the defense, I think he's doing a pretty good job.

Not sure how clear that is or how much that helps. But that's my two cents.

Really interesting topic, the bolded, in both your posts. There might be a tendency to penalize these dual threat QBs for looking to run instead of sticking it out in the pocket. But when you get results like a 42 and a 24 yard scramble, it makes the judging easy. Each scramble would have to be looked at to see if that was the better option over a possible open target downfield. I think it was Brent Jones on KNBR radio that said it's harder for these dual threat QBs to know what to do because they have more than just one thing to do - throw or run. That seems like a very valid point. These QBs were scrambling QBs in high school and college and now they are told to unlearn an instinct.

Here are some WildKap plays that the 49ers used in the game. These were the two designed runs that I saw. The others were scrambles. 7 carries for 98 yards.

This is the third 49er offensively play of the game. Kap will take the snap and sweep right. The blocks to watch are Vance and ADavis.

Below: The LB has given Vance a hard enough shove to alter Vance's path to his assigned blocking assignment, #50.

Below: The DE lined up over ADavis has pushed him back about 2 yards. This alters Kap's path to the edge.

The play: The combination of Vance and ADavis prevent this play from getting off the ground as #50 forces Kap back to the inside. 1 yard gain.

The other designed Kap run. There was a bunch of motioning and arm waving between Kap and the WRs and talking with Gore before the play. I want to think that Kap saw the numbers favorable and audibled to this play. The WRs all go downfield looking for blocks.

The play: 16 yard gain and now defenses have another thing to gameplan for.
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 7, 2014 at 11:29 PM ]
Here's another example of how I meant Brooks played poorly by giving up his containment. This is on GB's TD. Bear in mind, this was 3rd down.

Knowing it's a passing situation, and trying to get more pressure up the middle, we run a DT stunt. McD is going to drive towards the inside shoulder of the G and Justin Smith is going to loop around in between the G and T. Brooks needs to take a rush towards the outside shoulder of the T to set this up.

You see McDonald pushes the Guard in, if Brooks takes the outside shoulder we've got Rodgers in a bad place.

But you see how Brooks takes an inside move putting 3 rushers in the same area and leaving the outside wide open for Rodgers to escape to

This puts Justin Smith trying to run down Aaron Rodgers - I really doubt that's the matchup Fango wanted. If Rodgers had been forced to stay in the pocket he doesn't have the angle to get the ball into Nelson.

Here it is, I just finished going through the GB game. That was one heck of a game between two very talented teams that know each other well.

Bear in mind that the Packers offense is, by far, the best offense we will face all season barring we face the Broncos in the SB. They scored more points on us during the regular season than any other team and Aaron Rodgers is probably the best all around QB we will face this year.

To talk about the defensive side of the ball:

Our defense played great. Yes, we gave up some long drives during the game, but, that was Aaron Rodgers playing at a really high level with a great receiving corps. Also, I counted at least 7-8 holds that weren't called on the O-line of GB that all gave GB 6-10 yard plays.

Aldon Smith gets the defensive MVP award for that game from me. He was an absolute beast throughout the game. The first 3 3 and outs by GB was largely due to Aldon. It wasn't just his pass rush, it was his ferocious edge setting against the run. On one play in the first quarter he didn't get the tackle but should have gotten credited for it because he threw his blocker so violently backwards and to the ground that Eddie Lacey's legs were taken out by the defender Aldon threw down. On another play he drove the LT almost 10 feet back into Aaron Rodgers.

After their first 3 drives GB pretty much stopped running to Aldon's side. They ran towards him maybe 3-4 times the rest of the game.

On the flip side; Brooks played a poor game. Probably the worst on our defense. He routinely gave up contain and failed to set a hard edge on the outside. There was one play where he set the edge well but gave up on the play when he thought Lacey was down and gave up the edge letting Lacey out for an 8 yard gain.

Our secondary played pretty well throughout most of the game, they were routinely forcing Rodgers to his check downs, that's why it seemed like we kept giving up the dink and dunk plays, the majority of those were check downs by Rodgers - Rodgers really played an outstanding game. He was getting to his 3rd, 4th and 5th reads all throughout the game and at a pretty incredible pace.

What I would like to see from our backups is better push up the middle. Lemonier did a pretty good job with his rush when he was in, but Dobbs especially, and Jerrod-Eddie to a lesser extent, didn't get much of a north-south push in the pocket. When Justin Smith and McDonald were in they regularly got pressure up the middle on Rodgers forcing him to make some throws from a bad platform or keeping him from stepping up into the pocket to take shots downfield.

From the offensive side of the ball:
Kaepernick played a great game. You could tell he knew the GB defense. He moved through a lot of progressions well. The one thing I would like to see more from him is still a better grasp of the run game and how to best implore the run game against the defense. There were a couple plays where our guys were just not in good situations in the run game and got beat. I really would call Kaepernick the Packers killer because of how he made their defense change what they were doing. GB came into the game looking to take VD away and they put a lot of trust in Tramon Williams and TW really did play a great game. TW probably played the best out of anyone on the GB defense and is the kind of guy in the secondary that I don't see Carolina having.

I think there was more out there to get from the offense but, I think the cold and wind affected a couple of Kaep's throws and handle on the ball. Also, the first two redzone attempts, GB got away with a couple bad defensive holding calls. On one play, VD and Kaep just weren't in sync, they probably had a TD but VD broke off his route about 2 steps too soon, if he had kept running he would've been open.

The O-line played a pretty good game, they still struggle with some stunts, but played pretty well.

Crabtree is looking better than he has all year. He is looking sharper on his cuts and his ability to maneuver his body around is looking better.

There was some concern about Kaepernick's footwork from my previous thread, here's what I'll say I noticed:

From under center - this is where his footwork is best, actually. He drops his weight and loads the legs well when working from under center allowing him to step into his throws with good form. Where his footwork is shaky is most from shotgun. When he's in shot gun he'll allow his feet to get a little too close together and isn't as able to really use his legs to drive the ball. This is probably a result of his strong arm, because he doesn't have to really drive off his back foot to get a lot on the ball. It's not a huge deal as Aaron Rodgers will do the same from time to time. Rodgers does tend to have a wider base to throw from when he's out of the shotgun more often though(but he's also Aaron Rodgers). He still needs to work on pointing his front foot towards his target more. The times when he's slightly off on his throws are when this mechanic isn't always there.

What I would really like to see is some more development from McDonald as a blocker. He needs to work on identifying his man and positioning his hips to make a good block. There were a few plays that really had a chance if McDonald had made a little better of a block.

All in all, I think GB is much better than their record showed as they were without AR for so long, they were definitely a hungry, fighting team that knew us well. I was really impressed with the defense throughout all the bad calls they didn't get and with Brooks probably playing the worst game I had seen from him all year. This is a team that is finding ways to win and has been playing with a lot of passion and poise and I think we're in a much better place for a run than we were last year.

Go Niners!

P.S. as usual, breakdowns to follow:

I love the fact that someone is setting the record straight about Aldon Smith's play.
Hey Jonny, is this game an aberration by Brooks or a trend? I forgot who said it on 95.7, but they noticed that Brooks has been playing up and down as of late. He hasn't been inconsistent in the things unseen by the casual viewers, such as containment.
Also Woodson noted the obvious that all those running lanes probably won't be there with Carolina, so Kaep has to beat them with his arm.
[ Edited by FunkNinerFlex on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Aldon really has become a great run defender. Here are the grades PFF gave the players for the game

Could you explain the grading system I don't know what I am seeing?

Here you go: https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

Also take it for what it's worth, but PFF says that in 2 of 3 of the games Tukuafu has played in would've been Bruce Millers 2'nd and 3'rd best run blocking graded games of the season.

Thanks for posting that, Disp. I read their grading criteria and there's one big problem I have with it - "We treat players as a number rather than a name and the reputation attached to that name."

This shows a lack of consideration for quality of competition. Because the NFL plays an unbalanced schedule, I feel the need to weigh player grades based on quality of competition as a must. If Iupati pancakes Geno Atkins, he should receive a much higher grade for the play than if he pancakes the third string defensive tackle from the Jaguars. From reading the grading criteria you linked, I don't get a sense of that happening. I'm not asking you to defend PFF, I'm just pointing out something that would seriously validate all of their grading. As it stands right now, I think it's still a nice way to get a sense for how a player did for the season, in a vacuum, but using it to say "Aldon played better than Suggs this season because his score is higher (just as an example)" would be incorrect since they played against different left tackles throughout the season.

What I think they should do is re-adjust all their scores at the end of the season. For example, let's say Okung (LT for SEA) at the end of the year grades out poorly. Then all the head to head matchups that Aldon had with Okung gets downgraded because a lot of DEs beat Okung on the year. It was no special feat to beat Okung this season. If it ends up that that Long (LT for STL) grades high, then all of Aldon's head to head matchups with Long gets a bump in grade because Long played well this season.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Here it is, I just finished going through the GB game. That was one heck of a game between two very talented teams that know each other well.

Bear in mind that the Packers offense is, by far, the best offense we will face all season barring we face the Broncos in the SB. They scored more points on us during the regular season than any other team and Aaron Rodgers is probably the best all around QB we will face this year.

To talk about the defensive side of the ball:

Our defense played great. Yes, we gave up some long drives during the game, but, that was Aaron Rodgers playing at a really high level with a great receiving corps. Also, I counted at least 7-8 holds that weren't called on the O-line of GB that all gave GB 6-10 yard plays.

Aldon Smith gets the defensive MVP award for that game from me. He was an absolute beast throughout the game. The first 3 3 and outs by GB was largely due to Aldon. It wasn't just his pass rush, it was his ferocious edge setting against the run. On one play in the first quarter he didn't get the tackle but should have gotten credited for it because he threw his blocker so violently backwards and to the ground that Eddie Lacey's legs were taken out by the defender Aldon threw down. On another play he drove the LT almost 10 feet back into Aaron Rodgers.

After their first 3 drives GB pretty much stopped running to Aldon's side. They ran towards him maybe 3-4 times the rest of the game.

On the flip side; Brooks played a poor game. Probably the worst on our defense. He routinely gave up contain and failed to set a hard edge on the outside. There was one play where he set the edge well but gave up on the play when he thought Lacey was down and gave up the edge letting Lacey out for an 8 yard gain.

Our secondary played pretty well throughout most of the game, they were routinely forcing Rodgers to his check downs, that's why it seemed like we kept giving up the dink and dunk plays, the majority of those were check downs by Rodgers - Rodgers really played an outstanding game. He was getting to his 3rd, 4th and 5th reads all throughout the game and at a pretty incredible pace.

What I would like to see from our backups is better push up the middle. Lemonier did a pretty good job with his rush when he was in, but Dobbs especially, and Jerrod-Eddie to a lesser extent, didn't get much of a north-south push in the pocket. When Justin Smith and McDonald were in they regularly got pressure up the middle on Rodgers forcing him to make some throws from a bad platform or keeping him from stepping up into the pocket to take shots downfield.

From the offensive side of the ball:
Kaepernick played a great game. You could tell he knew the GB defense. He moved through a lot of progressions well. The one thing I would like to see more from him is still a better grasp of the run game and how to best implore the run game against the defense. There were a couple plays where our guys were just not in good situations in the run game and got beat. I really would call Kaepernick the Packers killer because of how he made their defense change what they were doing. GB came into the game looking to take VD away and they put a lot of trust in Tramon Williams and TW really did play a great game. TW probably played the best out of anyone on the GB defense and is the kind of guy in the secondary that I don't see Carolina having.

I think there was more out there to get from the offense but, I think the cold and wind affected a couple of Kaep's throws and handle on the ball. Also, the first two redzone attempts, GB got away with a couple bad defensive holding calls. On one play, VD and Kaep just weren't in sync, they probably had a TD but VD broke off his route about 2 steps too soon, if he had kept running he would've been open.

The O-line played a pretty good game, they still struggle with some stunts, but played pretty well.

Crabtree is looking better than he has all year. He is looking sharper on his cuts and his ability to maneuver his body around is looking better.

There was some concern about Kaepernick's footwork from my previous thread, here's what I'll say I noticed:

From under center - this is where his footwork is best, actually. He drops his weight and loads the legs well when working from under center allowing him to step into his throws with good form. Where his footwork is shaky is most from shotgun. When he's in shot gun he'll allow his feet to get a little too close together and isn't as able to really use his legs to drive the ball. This is probably a result of his strong arm, because he doesn't have to really drive off his back foot to get a lot on the ball. It's not a huge deal as Aaron Rodgers will do the same from time to time. Rodgers does tend to have a wider base to throw from when he's out of the shotgun more often though(but he's also Aaron Rodgers). He still needs to work on pointing his front foot towards his target more. The times when he's slightly off on his throws are when this mechanic isn't always there.

What I would really like to see is some more development from McDonald as a blocker. He needs to work on identifying his man and positioning his hips to make a good block. There were a few plays that really had a chance if McDonald had made a little better of a block.

All in all, I think GB is much better than their record showed as they were without AR for so long, they were definitely a hungry, fighting team that knew us well. I was really impressed with the defense throughout all the bad calls they didn't get and with Brooks probably playing the worst game I had seen from him all year. This is a team that is finding ways to win and has been playing with a lot of passion and poise and I think we're in a much better place for a run than we were last year.

Go Niners!

P.S. as usual, breakdowns to follow:

I love the fact that someone is setting the record straight about Aldon Smith's play.

Anyone who says that Aldon isn't playing well is looking at nothing but a stat sheet.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:17 AM ]
Here's another example of how I meant Brooks played poorly by giving up his containment. This is on GB's TD. Bear in mind, this was 3rd down.

Knowing it's a passing situation, and trying to get more pressure up the middle, we run a DT stunt. McD is going to drive towards the inside shoulder of the G and Justin Smith is going to loop around in between the G and T. Brooks needs to take a rush towards the outside shoulder of the T to set this up.

You see McDonald pushes the Guard in, if Brooks takes the outside shoulder we've got Rodgers in a bad place.

But you see how Brooks takes an inside move putting 3 rushers in the same area and leaving the outside wide open for Rodgers to escape to

This puts Justin Smith trying to run down Aaron Rodgers - I really doubt that's the matchup Fango wanted. If Rodgers had been forced to stay in the pocket he doesn't have the angle to get the ball into Nelson.

Could that have been a two level stunt? I have seen us do that before where Justin and McDonald both crash hard to their right and Aldon stunts around both of them. From what it seemed, Justin Smith was in proper position even after Rodgers rolled.

I just can't seem to believe that Brooks made that big of a mistake. One that would completely ruin the fundamental call of the play.
Share 49ersWebzone