LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 438 users in the forums

2013 - Week 17: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Conspiracy theory: I know some in the zone have played around with the idea that Harbaugh and Roman have held back plays for crucial situations and I haven't bought in. However, if they were going to hold back, this game might have been the time. I do not think it would have affected the seeding. I may be wrong. Maybe they throw some fluff plays around like the pass to Staley or 2 reverses in a row, so opposing DC's can work on something. They might be saving some crucial 3rd and short plays for when it counts next week or beyond.
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Conspiracy theory: I know some in the zone have played around with the idea that Harbaugh and Roman have held back plays for crucial situations and I haven't bought in. However, if they were going to hold back, this game might have been the time. I do not think it would have affected the seeding. I may be wrong. Maybe they throw some fluff plays around like the pass to Staley or 2 reverses in a row, so opposing DC's can work on something. They might be saving some crucial 3rd and short plays for when it counts next week or beyond.

I'm certain that they have been holding some things back, but I think they ALWAYS do that. I think they intentionally put stuff on film to force defenses to have to spend time accounting for it. That's just what they do.

No big conspiracy. Just what they do every single week.

It shouldn't be used to account for a poor offensive performance though. Its simply the way they operate.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM ]
Nice job as usual, Marvin.

I was a bit dubious about CK earlier in the year, but his recent play has been extraordinary. Yeah, he could improve in some areas, but I can't remember the last time he turned the ball over. And the way he came back twice at the end of the fourth quarter, against a great D, was magnificent.

The notion that we have a great O-line and a great running game is bogus. Statistically (Football Outsiders) we rank middle-of-the-league in sacks allowed per pass attempt and 28th in yards gained per rushing attempt. We get lots of rushing yards against some teams primarily because we have more attempts than average. Our passing game is better than our rushing game. And for that matter, statistically, our O is better than our D.

Final point, I am worried too about going to GB. But their D, both against the run and the pass, is god-awful, second or third worst in the league. If we can't win there, we can't win anywhere.
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Nice job as usual, Marvin.

I was a bit dubious about CK earlier in the year, but his recent play has been extraordinary. Yeah, he could improve in some areas, but I can't remember the last time he turned the ball over. And the way he came back twice at the end of the fourth quarter, against a great D, was magnificent.

The notion that we have a great O-line and a great running game is bogus. Statistically (Football Outsiders) we rank middle-of-the-league in sacks allowed per pass attempt and 28th in yards gained per rushing attempt. We get lots of rushing yards against some teams primarily because we have more attempts than average. Our passing game is better than our rushing game. And for that matter, statistically, our O is better than our D.

Final point, I am worried too about going to GB. But their D, both against the run and the pass, is god-awful, second or third worst in the league. If we can't win there, we can't win anywhere.

Also worth noting...Kap was intercepted only 8 times all year and 3 of those were in Seattle in week 2. That's only 5 picks in 15 games.
Thanks Marv,

Totally agree on Boldin. We wouldn't be in the playoffs w/out him.

Our Red Zone performance has to improve. I hope whoever is calling the plays has some surprises in store.

IMO, resigning Crabs is going to be painful.
Can't wait until jonydel's post
Green Bay is the team I most wanted to face in the wildcard round lol.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Also worth noting...Kap was intercepted only 8 times all year and 3 of those were in Seattle in week 2. That's only 5 picks in 15 games.

Actually, Football Outsiders has him listed for only 7 INT's.

Just for fun I chose 5 random QB's and put together this little table:
INT FL TDs
CK 7 3 21
RW 8 5 26
AS 8 2 23
EM 26 1 18
PM 10 5 55

And the EM guy has 2 SBs!

INT FL TDs
CK 7 3 21
RW 8 5 26
AS 8 2 23
EM 26 1 18
PM 10 5 55

Well, he threw 8 of them. I can only guess Football Outsiders didn't count one because they put the fault on someone else?

INT FL TDs
CK 7 3 21
RW 8 5 26
AS 8 2 23
EM 26 1 18
PM 10 5 55

Well, he threw 8 of them. I can only guess Football Outsiders didn't count one because they put the fault on someone else?

I believe you. Maybe they don't count Hail Marys, but I can't remember Kaep throwing one of those this year.

Most people here pretty much have the same conclusions. Awfully conservative coaching, winning because the players are simply better than the opposition for the most part. Got to get over the idea that the OL can maul defenses. Not able to do that very often.

CK is better out of the pocket. Let him play intuitively.

Roman knows interesting plays as evidenced by the 1st quarter calls. Wonder if the basic offense that we normal see is his idea or JH's.

Again, thanks for your excellent posts. Always look forward to them.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
8) Crab: I like Crab a lot and I want him to resign...but I really need him to stop with all of the frustrated gestures when he doesn't get the ball. I'm not saying he shouldn't be frustrated. I just think it doesn't help anyone for him to constantly throw his arms in the air and pout every time he thinks he's open. It's getting kinda old.

Whats getting kinda old is seeing him and Vernon streaking across the open field without a snowballs chance in hell of getting the ball

I tend to feel the same on this one.
I absolutely think that we are holding back plays. This team started with one mission this year and I think at the start of the season they were confident we would get to the playoffs and I would expect that we have quite a few more tricks up our sleeves.
It's funny how often this speculation comes up -- about "holding back" plays. Been hearing it for 24 games now.

There's just huge portions of the playbook missing for one reason or another. That's it. Nobody's holding back anything. Just not there,
Originally posted by WashDCNinerFan:
I absolutely think that we are holding back plays. This team started with one mission this year and I think at the start of the season they were confident we would get to the playoffs and I would expect that we have quite a few more tricks up our sleeves.

fail
Share 49ersWebzone