LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

2013 - Week 17: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Debatable.

Can you imagine the Niners passing game WITHOUT Boldin this year? Yikes. You also have to look at what was given up. The Chiefs gave up 2 second round picks. Niners gave up a single 6.

Yeah, we would have sucked but I also think we would have pulled the trigger on Josh Gordon if we didn't have Boldin. But even without Boldin or Gordon we wouldn't have been as bad as the Chiefs were last year without Alex Smith.
Originally posted by Young2Rice4TD:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Debatable.

Can you imagine the Niners passing game WITHOUT Boldin this year? Yikes. You also have to look at what was given up. The Chiefs gave up 2 second round picks. Niners gave up a single 6.

Yeah, we would have sucked but I also think we would have pulled the trigger on Josh Gordon if we didn't have Boldin. But even without Boldin or Gordon we wouldn't have been as bad as the Chiefs were last year without Alex Smith.

To be honest, I'm not sure Gordon was ever really available.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I do have to give Roman some credit. Seems as if he's installed some quick passes when CK and the WR notice off coverage.

Totally...loved it. Their CB's are playing 6-10 yards off? Take it! Screens? Love it...use the edges. I'd rather have Patton be the one running off Boldin/Crabtree/VD WR screens though (for obvious reasons) but it still works. On the flip side, isn't that what Arians did to us from the 2Q on? Attack the DB's playing a mile off AND still take 1/2 a dozen deep shots as well (some big completions/TD as well).
  • thl408
Good take Marvin. I thought this was a critical drive as it could have made it a much more comfortable game had the 49ers ended this drive with a TD instead of a missed FG. It was 17-7 and the 49ers looked smooth going down the field. Passes to the WR, RB, and LT. Aided by a roughing the QB call. Then it stalled inside the 10 and that's what I want to focus on.

Play#1: 5 yard pass to Crabs.
Play#2: Gore off RT for 0 yards.
Play #3(below) Beauty of a throw on 3rd and 5.

Play#4: (below) Dixon for 19 yards

Play#5: (below) Staley for 14 yards + 15 yards roughing the passer

Play#6: Gore off RT for 0 yards

Play#7: (below) Crabs for 13 yards

Play#8: 1st & goal - Gore up middle for -3

Play #9: (below) Designed rollout right that got blown up due to Dixon and ADavis blowing chunks in pass protection.

Play #10: (below) Slant to Crabs well defended. Pass batted down at line of scrimmage.
Remember last monday night when we ran the EXACT same running play to Gore (the quick hand off) which got us a TD? Well its those plays that should be run on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 rather than the typical run play.

we need to utilize more hard counts in short situations to draw the defence off sides AND run more hurry up. We waste so much time at the line, getting delay of game penalties etc. I would love to see a no huddle offense with our weapons. Even sub in/out different packages on the fly and see if the defence knows whats coming at them.

But i fully expect us to run the same sort of offensive plays come Sunday and GUARANTEE we get at least 1 delay of game penalty.
  • thl408
ARI was coming with quick pressure up the gut and I feel that play #9 could have worked had the pass protection held up. Designed roll out against a blitz up the middle is a timely playcall. Can't tell what the route runners were doing, but it didn't matter because the play never had a chance due to shoddy pass protection. This is one of the plays Marvin mentioned where Crabs was jumping up and down after the play to express frustration. This indicates to me that he was open. What Crabs didn't know was that Kap was quickly pressured and had no chance to make a timely throw.
Since the regular season is over, I'd like to give a shout out to our rookie Long Snapper, Kevin McDermott for doing a great job this season. No one seems to appreciate you until you F up. So yeah! Well Done!
[ Edited by sacleads on Dec 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Remember last monday night when we ran the EXACT same running play to Gore (the quick hand off) which got us a TD? Well its those plays that should be run on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 rather than the typical run play.

we need to utilize more hard counts in short situations to draw the defence off sides AND run more hurry up. We waste so much time at the line, getting delay of game penalties etc. I would love to see a no huddle offense with our weapons. Even sub in/out different packages on the fly and see if the defence knows whats coming at them.

But i fully expect us to run the same sort of offensive plays come Sunday and GUARANTEE we get at least 1 delay of game penalty.

The 49ers opened the 2nd quarter going no huddle, kind of.

1st down - Incomplete pass
no huddle
2nd down - Incomplete pass
huddle up
3rd down - scramble for 4 yards
punt
Originally posted by NCommand:
Totally...loved it. Their CB's are playing 6-10 yards off? Take it! Screens? Love it...use the edges. I'd rather have Patton be the one running off Boldin/Crabtree/VD WR screens though (for obvious reasons) but it still works. On the flip side, isn't that what Arians did to us from the 2Q on? Attack the DB's playing a mile off AND still take 1/2 a dozen deep shots as well (some big completions/TD as well).

Pretty much. Arians kept attacking and Niners took their foots off the gas.
Some credit needs to be given to the Cardinals defense, who ranks among the best in the NFL. Interesting how the NFC west teams are building to beat the 49ers and the blueprint has been to get as tough as the 49ers have been. It is not long ago the 49ers could out-muscle any NFC West opponent. Now, not so much.

Pass rush and pass d gotta come around ASAP. They go hand and hand. And both units seem to be struggling right now.. Need to be much more aggressive. Defense seems overly passive.

Hopefully they use Patton more to stretch the defense. Put him in the slot and let him go deep donw the middle of the field. Give the opposing safeties something else to be concerned about.

I do have to give Roman some credit. Seems as if he's installed some quick passes when CK and the WR notice off coverage.

I think Crabs is adjusting to not being the main man anymore. But he does need to cut the antics or keep them on the sideline. Dam near cost them big time vs TB. Nothing worng with bieng frustrated though so I don't think it's a major deal.

NAILED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by thl408:
Good take Marvin. I thought this was a critical drive as it could have made it a much more comfortable game had the 49ers ended this drive with a TD instead of a missed FG. It was 17-7 and the 49ers looked smooth going down the field. Passes to the WR, RB, and LT. Aided by a roughing the QB call. Then it stalled inside the 10 and that's what I want to focus on.

Play#1: 5 yard pass to Crabs.
Play#2: Gore off RT for 0 yards.
Play #3(below) Beauty of a throw on 3rd and 5.

Play#4: (below) Dixon for 19 yards

Play#5: (below) Staley for 14 yards + 15 yards roughing the passer

Play#6: Gore off RT for 0 yards

Play#7: (below) Crabs for 13 yards

Play#8: 1st & goal - Gore up middle for -3

Play #9: (below) Designed rollout right that got blown up due to Dixon and ADavis blowing chunks in pass protection.

Play #10: (below) Slant to Crabs well defended. Pass batted down at line of scrimmage.
Play #7 is what I've been really hype about the last 2 weeks. Just simple basic plays that get positive yards and keep the chains moving. Get a big mixed tackle and it's a big gainer. I believe Boldin scored a TD vs ATL on a similar play.

Play #10 is CK locking on to a target. If that ball didn't get batted down Peterson picks that off. He beat Crabtree on that route. Plus Crabs lost his footing. Go elsewhere with the ball or take the sack on that one.
[ Edited by lamontb on Dec 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
The 49ers opened the 2nd quarter going no huddle, kind of.

1st down - Incomplete pass
no huddle
2nd down - Incomplete pass
huddle up
3rd down - scramble for 4 yards
punt

Yeah, what I meant was in short distances to go (3rd and 1, 4th and 1) go hurry up and quickly run a play (QB Sneek, quick RB hand off, etc. I mean if you alternate doing that with a hard count, some moron on the D-line will either jump off sides OR sit back and get bulled over by our lineman and we will get the 1yd for 1st down. I just feel it seems all our plays take forever to run and set up. Also where was Manningham in this game? did he play? We need him for playoffs as he has done it multiple times in crunch situations.
  • thl408
Play #7 is what I've been really hype about the last 2 weeks. Just simple basic plays that get positive yards and keep the chains moving. Get a big mixed tackle and it's a big gainer. I believe Boldin scored a TD vs ATL on a similar play.

Play #10 is CK locking on to a target. If that ball didn't get batted down Peterson picks that off. He beat Crabtree on that route. Plus Crabs lost his footing. Go elsewhere with the ball or take the sack on that one.

Agreed on play #10. Petersen totally jumped that route, which is why Crabs fell down due to the contact. I think every single quick throw to the WR in this game, like in play #7, is an audible at the line of scrimmage. You can never call that in the huddle because what if the CBs play press coverage?
Originally posted by sacleads:
Since the regular season is over, I'd like to give a shout out to our rookie Long Snapper, Kevin McDermott for doing a great job this season. No one seems to appreciate you until you F up. So yeah! Well Done!

You might not believe me, but i have been worried about him for weeks, i really miss jennings...i would hope for them to bring him in for the playoffs, this kid is all over the place when it comes to field goals its just that Lee is a damn good holder.
Share 49ersWebzone