LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 223 users in the forums

Upper/Middle Class Problems

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We had a great year, they screwed us out of the division title in New Orleans. Let's hope a little adversity turns them into a champion. Just a few yeses ago we were almost unwatchable.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
We had a great year, they screwed us out of the division title in New Orleans. Let's hope a little adversity turns them into a champion. Just a few yeses ago we were almost unwatchable.

Not only that but they screwed the Cardinals out of the 6th seed. Had that call been done correctly we would have the #2 seed, Seattle the #5, and Arizona the #6.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
How is 12-4 considered a down year when just last season the 49ers went 11-4-1?
Originally posted by JoeBart324:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I think Dorsey has been solid and hopefully Ian comes back PISSED OFF! That said, we've had a glaring weakness for a long long long time here and that is, when we do face big, powerful RB's we tend to get beat up right up the middle for 4-5 yards a carry. Usually, teams don't stick with it (save for Indy/Seattle). But I still think we need more beef up front or go to a 4-man bigger personnel DL to stuff it initially and then once established, get back to the base 3-4. So in short, no, I don't think Dorsey is the "answer" per se but he is a very solid player for us and is only going to get better.

With the salary cap it will probably be rough to have a premier nose tackle along with all the other talent on this team unfortunately. I think as long as Willis and Bowman continue to play at a high level the Niners will be ok. Dorsey and Williams should be solid, not spectacular at the position for a while.

The Niners defense is predicated on a bend don't break philosophy. They don't like giving up big plays which is why they rarely seem to stack the box. It forces the offense to slowly drive down the field, driving up the opportunities for a miscue from the offense. This however, does leave them a bit vulnerable to a big back who can push a pile, like Lynch or Jackson.

But I also think if you look at a player like Lynch, he performs well virtually any game. He's just one of those consistent players who is going to get his yardage at this point. Holding him to a sub 100 day is something to be proud of. So I'm not too concerned with the Niners struggling a bit against Lynch. I also think the Niners simply didn't expect Indy to run as much as they did that day and really came in the game a bit flat.

Excellent post...to me, a high grade two-gap "plugger" NT in the draft would be a great luxury pick next year but not one we're desperate for at this juncture. We also have to consider Dial there next year as well.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
I could not agree more... this is some real b******t... the refs are screwing us out of a championship

The Steelers almost literally lost a play off spot because the refs missed a illegal defensive formation in the KC-San Diego game.

The Cowboys got screwed by the official running the clock in the game against Philadelphia. The mistake did have an impact on the game.

The NFL a billion dollar corporation is using part time refs. It needs to have full-time refs that work only for the NFL, that go through a rigorous off season training program, and that are held responsible for their errors.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
I could not agree more... this is some real b******t... the refs are screwing us out of a championship

The Steelers almost literally lost a play off spot because the refs missed a illegal defensive formation in the KC-San Diego game.

The Cowboys got screwed by the official running the clock in the game against Philadelphia. The mistake did have an impact on the game.

The NFL a billion dollar corporation is using part time refs. It needs to have full-time refs that work only for the NFL, that go through a rigorous off season training program, and that are held responsible for their errors.

As usual, I agree with you completely! It is embarrassing to have part time employees dictating the fidelity of your game.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Excellent post...to me, a high grade two-gap "plugger" NT in the draft would be a great luxury pick next year but not one we're desperate for at this juncture. We also have to consider Dial there next year as well.

We play a one gap scheme.
Originally posted by Hopper:

We play a one gap scheme.

We do and this may be why we struggle against power running teams...scheme/personnel.
We do and this may be why we struggle against power running teams...scheme/personnel.

No, we should limit our defense to one scheme and not draft players who can collapse the pocket from the NT position...that would give the niners an unfair advantage! LOL!
Wtf a down year???

You haters crack me up!

Please stop it ... the 49ers were lucky to be in that game. I put the stats in another thread and I don't have them handy, but NO won the stat battle handily. And they fumbled a near pick 6 out of the back of the end zone. And if there was a play that cost them near the end, if was Gore dropping the pass.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Please stop it ... the 49ers were lucky to be in that game. I put the stats in another thread and I don't have them handy, but NO won the stat battle handily. And they fumbled a near pick 6 out of the back of the end zone. And if there was a play that cost them near the end, if was Gore dropping the pass.

It was a sack and turnover with a little more than 2 mins left in the game.
f**k stats. Called right, 49ers very likely win.
I like where this team is going... Perhaps even more than where it has been!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
We played a one gap scheme in 2011 when we had the number one run defense. We're fourth against the run and we didn't surrender a 100 yard rusher this season. Pretty good as well.
Originally posted by Ether:
How is 12-4 considered a down year when just last season the 49ers went 11-4-1?

This.

12-4 really can't be called a "down year," can it?
Share 49ersWebzone