There are 156 users in the forums

2013 - Week 16: Thoughts after rewatching the game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sorry for the delay....was at the game last night and didn't finish getting home and rewatching the game till about 3 AM. :)

1) Kap: Missed some throws, but some of his receivers didn't do him any favors. Underthrew Vernon, but Vernon got both hands and his chest on it. McDonald dropped 2 (and the stumble was embarrassing). Still though, I can't put it all on the receivers. His did miss some guys out there and Nolan was definitely confusing him at times.

2) Crab: Its funny. I watch him move around before the snap and he doesn't seem like himself. He seems to shuffle a bit and seems like the leg is bothering him. Then the ball is snapped and he looks like...well...he looks like Crab. He doesn't seem to have his top gear, but he looks MUCH, Much better than I could have hoped.

3) Gore: Man, after all those carries that guy can STILL consistently make the first guy miss in tight spaces. Not every run was perfectly blocked yet he STILL finds open space. He is eventually going to run out of gas, but I am enjoying him in the twilight of his career.

4) Willis: WOW. One hell of a game. He came to play last night. Poor Steven Jackson found himself the recipient of several of Pats woo-licks (and if you don't know what that means, turn in your 49ers fan card).

5) Whitner: Speaking of Woo-licks, I really have to eat crow this year on Donte Whitner. While the media constantly spoke glowingly of both Goldson and Whitner, I have never seen them as more than big hitting but poor in coverage Safeties. Whitner has had himself a hell of a year though. I think he's BETTER with Reid out there than with Goldson out there. That was a MONSTER hit on Jackson, and total unadulterated BS that it was flagged. They are now throwing a flag if its simply a big hit. That's unacceptable. That ain't football. He followed the rules and got flagged for it.

6) Reid: Rough game for the rook. He was bound to have one. He got juked bad on a long reception and then got beat in the endzone...

7) Brock: Brock also had a rough game. He was beaten several times and was also back there on the long TD...

8) Bowman: Was looking to be the goat in that game after missing the onside kick. It muct have been killing him out there...

9) Redemption: In a single play, three different players who had been having rough nights made a huge play when it counted. Reid was a part of that all out blitz and applied the pressure on Ryan that forced him into that short pass to Douglas. Brock regognized the route IMMEDIATELY and broke for the ball, forcing the ball out of Douglas' hands and into the air. Bowman, who later admitted he was still feeling the weight of missing the onside kick, blitzed up the middle, realized he wasn't going to get there, and then did what great players do...he stayed in the play and ran to the ball. The efforts of Reid and Brock set the situation up for Bowman to make a play for the ages because none of them ever gave up and simply KEPT PLAYING.

I've been lucky enough to see Garrison go 96 in overtime live. I saw the Vernon post. I saw Kap got for 181 yards. I add this play to that list of plays that I will never forget. From being so down after the Falcons got the ball to the jubilation of seeing Bowman streaking down the sideline...damn...what a way to send the ol' girl out.

10) Can't let myself hope: We've all done the math. I'm not going to say what MIGHT happen. I'm looking at the #5 or #6 seed because I don't even want to discuss the other option. I'm hoping for the 5 seed.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 24, 2013 at 7:18 PM ]
It is here!!!!
  • Jiks
2) Crab: Its funny. I watch him move around before the snap and he doesn't seem like himself. He seems to shuffle a bit and seems like the leg is bothering him. Then the ball is snapped and he looks like...well...he looks like Crab. He doesn't seem to have his top gear, but he looks MUCH, Much better than I could have hoped.

This... He caught that one ball along the sideline and didn't seem to have any speed what so ever. But watching the replays of some of his routes he ran, it's surprising how amazing of a route runner he is. Very crisp and actually very agile.
LOL, sounds like u had a great time.
Originally posted by kronik:
LOL, sounds like u had a great time.

Oh hell yeah. The ROAR of the crowd after the pick was crazy.
that stumble was on kaepernick. he totally missed that throw. Vance was wide open.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
that stumble was on kaepernick. he totally missed that throw. Vance was wide open.

Uh....huh? He fell down before the ball got there. He can't run for the receiver too...
Marvin, 3 am and you sleep? That is what French Roast coffee is for. Or Kaluha (sp?) drinks.

What did you think of the defensive scheme? Was if preventyish? Or was is simply the lack of any blitzes and pressure so guys eventually lose their man a bit?

And from the stands, do our receivers get open off camera? It seems every completion is a great throw into a tight spot and a great catch by our guys with great hands, Crabtree and Boldin.
Thanks Marvin, IMO some of the Kap stuff was on the plays called, like the play where the OLman went out for a pass out of the "Jumbo" formation. WTF? I believe there were only two recievers, VD and the OLineman available on that play.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 24, 2013 at 7:45 PM ]

Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Thanks Marvin, IMO some of the Kap stuff was on the plays called, like the play that the OLman that went out for a pass out of the "Jumbo" formation. WTF? I believe there were only two recievers, VD and the OLineman available on that play.

Yes he had freaking Kilgore as his WR on that play. I couldn't believe the call.
Great job Marvin49. Awesome ending to the close out Candlestick!
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Thanks Marvin, IMO some of the Kap stuff was on the plays called, like the play that the OLman that went out for a pass out of the "Jumbo" formation. WTF? I believe there were only two recievers, VD and the OLineman available on that play.

Yes he had freaking Kilgore as his WR on that play. I couldn't believe the call.
And wonder of wonders he wasn't open! Those plays need to go because they are basically throwing away a down and risking a turnover even if they complete that. How many times does an OL pick up a fumble and then fumble it himself? .
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Uh....huh? He fell down before the ball got there. He can't run for the receiver too...

that's not how i saw it. kaep missed the throw, causing mcdonald to twist to try to get to the ball.
Can someone please embed the 3rd video in the link below. I almost cried watching this.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Candlestick-Park-Treated-to-Proper-Finale/d87a3061-c981-4e77-b6a7-95cd75606f6a

Again, its the 3rd video titled "Bowman Seals Candlestick's Legacy."
Share 49ersWebzone