There are 172 users in the forums

2013 - Week 16: Thoughts after rewatching the game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Marvin,

You are a stud. I love your post game comments. There were a lot of moments in the first half that they didn't connect.

Vance McDonald - I would love to see Vance McDonald get going as a second option, but he makes one to two mistakes a game on the receiving end. The first call was a perfect pass to him if he doesn't fall down. He has been making a lot of great blocks, and hopefully he can step up his offense. He's a rookie and hopefully he's just thinking too much.

Colin Kaepernick - If you combine Alex Smith and Colin into one quarterback, you may have the greatest qb of all time. Alex makes all of the short throws really well, and Colin is more about the medium to deep passes. What hurts us at times is that Colin goes for the deep plays when they are guys underneath and open....IT DRIVES ME NUTS so that's what takes our offense out of rhythm. (By the way Alex rarely took deep shots which hurt us as well.) Hopefully Kaep can continue working on his game. Against a tough team in the playoffs, this is going to really bite us on the ass. In second half, the offense relaxes and we dominate.

Navarro Bowman and Willis - WOW....HOME RUNS for the Niners front office to have these two guys. They are so great. At times though, I would like to see them free to make more plays like Navarro made in the game, but they have the talent to take over the game.

3 and 1.....TOO MANY TIMES ROMAN gets too cute. Our team is less than 50% on 3 and 1! That's crazy!!! Hopefully now with Iupati back, that stat is going up.

Pass Rush - Lord Fangio has got to mix it up more against a good QB especially when he is slicing up our D. Let Bowman and Willis blitz more if there is an opening. I'm not sure how many hurries they got, but only one sack is unacceptable.

Fullback - I was a little concerned with Miller going out, but Dixon and Tukafu stepped up nice. I hope they mix it up more with Dixon getting involved in the offense more often.

Kendall Hunter - It was nice to see him pop a huge run, Hunter and James need to get their carries to keep the D off balance.

Crabtree - Is back and ballin! For all of his stupid crap, the guy just wants to win and wants the ball. He gets open. Hopefully he doesn't ask for the moon in the offseason. I would like to resign him, but just win you think he's matured he throws the ball into the stands and gets us a 15 yard penalty. IDIOT!!!!! That stuff will cost you games.

If we take care of business against Arizona, a really nice Christmas present will be the Rams beating Seattle!!!! I'm on this board a lot just don't always post, but I get a lot of enjoyment from it, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to 49erswebzone for my Niner passion and addiction.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Thanks Marv,

Here's my 2 cents.

Our first half offense sucked - period. We're fortunate that it was close. Playing catch-up is difficult especially against a team that can score.

I don't know what the causes are - sometimes your opponent is ready for your every move. BUT we're headed into the playoffs and IMO need to hit on all cylinders from the first whistle to the last.

No gimmes in the nfl. The playoffs have to be different. We can't start slow like the SB.
Thanks Marv,

Here's my 2 cents.

Our first half offense sucked - period. We're fortunate that it was close. Playing catch-up is difficult especially against a team that can score.

I don't know what the causes are - sometimes your opponent is ready for your every move. BUT we're headed into the playoffs and IMO need to hit on all cylinders from the first whistle to the last.

That is some great insight there
Originally posted by Oldschool9erfan:
Marvin,

You are a stud. I love your post game comments. There were a lot of moments in the first half that they didn't connect.

Vance McDonald - I would love to see Vance McDonald get going as a second option, but he makes one to two mistakes a game on the receiving end. The first call was a perfect pass to him if he doesn't fall down. He has been making a lot of great blocks, and hopefully he can step up his offense. He's a rookie and hopefully he's just thinking too much.

Colin Kaepernick - If you combine Alex Smith and Colin into one quarterback, you may have the greatest qb of all time. Alex makes all of the short throws really well, and Colin is more about the medium to deep passes. What hurts us at times is that Colin goes for the deep plays when they are guys underneath and open....IT DRIVES ME NUTS so that's what takes our offense out of rhythm. (By the way Alex rarely took deep shots which hurt us as well.) Hopefully Kaep can continue working on his game. Against a tough team in the playoffs, this is going to really bite us on the ass. In second half, the offense relaxes and we dominate.

Navarro Bowman and Willis - WOW....HOME RUNS for the Niners front office to have these two guys. They are so great. At times though, I would like to see them free to make more plays like Navarro made in the game, but they have the talent to take over the game.

3 and 1.....TOO MANY TIMES ROMAN gets too cute. Our team is less than 50% on 3 and 1! That's crazy!!! Hopefully now with Iupati back, that stat is going up.

Pass Rush - Lord Fangio has got to mix it up more against a good QB especially when he is slicing up our D. Let Bowman and Willis blitz more if there is an opening. I'm not sure how many hurries they got, but only one sack is unacceptable.

Fullback - I was a little concerned with Miller going out, but Dixon and Tukafu stepped up nice. I hope they mix it up more with Dixon getting involved in the offense more often.

Kendall Hunter - It was nice to see him pop a huge run, Hunter and James need to get their carries to keep the D off balance.

Crabtree - Is back and ballin! For all of his stupid crap, the guy just wants to win and wants the ball. He gets open. Hopefully he doesn't ask for the moon in the offseason. I would like to resign him, but just win you think he's matured he throws the ball into the stands and gets us a 15 yard penalty. IDIOT!!!!! That stuff will cost you games.

If we take care of business against Arizona, a really nice Christmas present will be the Rams beating Seattle!!!! I'm on this board a lot just don't always post, but I get a lot of enjoyment from it, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to 49erswebzone for my Niner passion and addiction.

Heres the thing tho....Alex couldn't always do that. He had a QB rating in the 70s in his second year as a starter.

This is not meant as a bash on Alex because I was one of his fans here and I don't want to start that conversation again. My point is that he LEARNED to play that way and so will Colin. The difference here is that Alex was hitting his ceiling and Colin isn't even close to reaching his potential.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Dec 28, 2013 at 5:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

8) Bowman: Was looking to be the goat in that game after missing the onside kick. It muct have been killing him out there...

huh?
Thanks Marv,

Here's my 2 cents.

Agree but Fangio has made some great second half adjustments. Last year and this year I believe, we practically shut Green Bay out in the second half. I remember them getting a late meaningless TD but other than that, nothing. Same story last year vs ATL in the NFCCG. They were at full health (Ryan, Jones, White, Douglas, Gonzales, Turner, and Rodgers) and they did NOTHING against our defense in the second half. Same story in the Superbowl; a few bad calls extended the Ravens drives.

This game was a little different. They were able to put together some solid drives as we sat back and played soft all game but that is not the norm for our defense. We usually buckle down in the second half, regardless of how many weapons are on the field for the opposing team. They get a pass because when it was all said and done, they still made a play when they had to and even SCORED
Originally posted by Sims84:
Agree but Fangio has made some great second half adjustments. Last year and this year I believe, we practically shut Green Bay out in the second half. I remember them getting a late meaningless TD but other than that, nothing. Same story last year vs ATL in the NFCCG. They were at full health (Ryan, Jones, White, Douglas, Gonzales, Turner, and Rodgers) and they did NOTHING against our defense in the second half. Same story in the Superbowl; a few bad calls extended the Ravens drives.

This game was a little different. They were able to put together some solid drives as we sat back and played soft all game but that is not the norm for our defense. We usually buckle down in the second half, regardless of how many weapons are on the field for the opposing team. They get a pass because when it was all said and done, they still made a play when they had to and even SCORED

And vs SEA. I think we only allowed 3 second half points if I remember correctly
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Heres the thing tho....Alex couldn't always do that. He had a QB rating in the 70s in his second year as a starter.

This is not meant as a bash on Alex because I was one of his fans here and I don't want to start that conversation again. My point is that he LEARNED to play that way and so will Colin. The difference here is that Alex was hitting his ceiling and Colin isn't even close to reaching his potential.

Marvin,

I agree with your comments. I just meant to say that Kaepernick needs to work on his short game and his progressions he is still getting better. The Niners made the obvious choice. Hopefully Kaep can take it up another level.
Willis and Whitner were laying the WOOD. Thats what i saw on my DVR

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM ]

This is probably my favorite -- Love the reactions along the sideline:

Share 49ersWebzone