LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 362 users in the forums

eric wright over tarrell brown

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
I don't think there's enough cap space for TBrown now that Brock 'took' his salary slot. With Cully coming back, I assume it will be Cully and Brock as the starters. Then the 49ers will need to extend Cully after the 14-15 season. No room on the team for 3 multi million dollar CBs with another CB taken in the draft (as many have suggested the 49ers do). I think TBrown has played his last down as a 49er.
Originally posted by thl408:
I don't think there's enough cap space for TBrown now that Brock 'took' his salary slot. With Cully coming back, I assume it will be Cully and Brock as the starters. Then the 49ers will need to extend Cully after the 14-15 season. No room on the team for 3 multi million dollar CBs with another CB taken in the draft (as many have suggested the 49ers do). I think TBrown has played his last down as a 49er.

i'd agree w/ you until I read on PFT that w/ the new deal w/ CBS taking on Thurs night games that could be an extra $250M in the pot which would raise the cap by $7.8M per team in 2015 (next off-season)

that's a big chunk of change..........in fact it might change the calculus of players like crabtree/aldon/kap/iupati w/ their agents now possibly telling their clients teams will have $8M more cap room next year and thus we should gamble and wait etc

so who knows
  • thl408
Originally posted by iLL49er:

i'd agree w/ you until I read on PFT that w/ the new deal w/ CBS taking on Thurs night games that could be an extra $250M in the pot which would raise the cap by $7.8M per team in 2015 (next off-season)

that's a big chunk of change..........in fact it might change the calculus of players like crabtree/aldon/kap/iupati w/ their agents now possibly telling their clients teams will have $8M more cap room next year and thus we should gamble and wait etc

so who knows

Was not aware of that. Good info. I think the sound of "cha-ching" just went off in Crabs', Aldon's, and Kap's head.
  • obx49
  • Veteran

so who knows

Half of that $250 mil goes to the owners. The players only get 125 which translates to approximately 4 mil/team.
Originally posted by obx49:

so who knows

Half of that $250 mil goes to the owners. The players only get 125 which translates to approximately 4 mil/team.

ah ok..nice catch, pft didn't state that but ur right it was a 50/50 or was it 55/45 split? either way it'll be 3.5-4M in cap room...so certainly not small
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by obx49:

so who knows

ah ok..nice catch, pft didn't state that but ur right it was a 50/50 or was it 55/45 split? either way it'll be 3.5-4M in cap room...so certainly not small

It is 50/50 if I'm not mistaken. Yea, this should help out a lot.
^ nice looking out guys!
I expect T Brown to get a pretty big money offer somewhere and go. I expect that if they want him, they can keep Wright on the cheap. And I fully expect the Niners do spend one of their first three or four draft picks on a corner good enough to compete for a starting position right away.
Originally posted by crake49:
I expect T Brown to get a pretty big money offer somewhere and go. I expect that if they want him, they can keep Wright on the cheap. And I fully expect the Niners do spend one of their first three or four draft picks on a corner good enough to compete for a starting position right away.

the corner market is already getting pretty saturated w/ veteran fa cb's..........that bodes well for the leverage of teams..i don't think these guys are gonna get big deals
as for eric wright, we can put that topic to rest, he's a scrub and fangio doens't like him and he was benched and he's done here

• SaksV
  • Veteran
T. Brown's not going to be back in my opinion. Too much money.

Wright won't be back either in my opinion. Not enough production.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Wright and Brown gone.

keep Perish Cox.
brown will sign with another team pretty easily. wright may have a tougher time. Cox will be good to have as a backup/dime corner. Hopefully Rogers goes too.
the corner market is already getting pretty saturated w/ veteran fa cb's..........that bodes well for the leverage of teams..i don't think these guys are gonna get big deals

Exactly. Last year none of the corners got big money deals, and they all settled for less. Same thing will happen this year.
Agree, Cox is the guy to keep. He's a decent CB who's a sure tackler. As a bonus, he's got some legit KR skills. The other bonus is he's still cheap. Draft a couple good (one large, pls, Jean-Baptise/McGill come to mind) CB's in the draft and we should be in pretty good shape.
Share 49ersWebzone