LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 346 users in the forums

Weak link in the defense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by jays9ers:
The defense didn't step up when we needed them to...but with that said they only gave up 10 points. I'll take that any day! The offense has to deliver.

what more do they really have to do? i realize they were a few plays that extended drives that you'd ideally like to be stopped. but they also did things like give the team the ball inside the 10 or so on a pick return. they also got off the field giving kaepernick about a minute of so to go get a game winning fg. i'm not sure what more people want out of them, especially when the O is going 3 and out a lot in that game.

The overall performance of the defense was great. Brown individually, not so much.
LOL. The defense and the secondary is playing lights out. Give it a rest. We are first in the league in points off turnovers. We cant control TOP for s**t, and we have had quite a few injurys, and they are still playing lights out. Defense is not the problem.
Originally posted by Empire49:
The defense didn't step up when we needed them to...but with that said they only gave up 10 points. I'll take that any day! The offense has to deliver.

what more do they really have to do? i realize they were a few plays that extended drives that you'd ideally like to be stopped. but they also did things like give the team the ball inside the 10 or so on a pick return. they also got off the field giving kaepernick about a minute of so to go get a game winning fg. i'm not sure what more people want out of them, especially when the O is going 3 and out a lot in that game.

The overall performance of the defense was great. Brown individually, not so much.

i understand he wasnt great, just dont understand over analyzing the D in the a game they gave up 10 points. in this league nowadays you're going to give up a few things on D.
Originally posted by JayT:
Is Brown the weak link, is it scheme or what? Just asking.

Neither. Seriously i dont know what games some of you watch.
Originally posted by Empire49:

i understand he wasnt great, just dont understand over analyzing the D in the a game they gave up 10 points. in this league nowadays you're going to give up a few things on D.

I don't know if the OP was strictly talking about the weakest link in this one particular game or the weakest link so far this entire season. I'm basing my judgment on the latter. Brown hasn't played well all season.

Either way, the thread is about the weakest link on defense, not whether the offense or defense is to blame for the Carolina loss.
[ Edited by Empire49 on Nov 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM ]
Terell Brown.... I have been saying it all year now, and the opposing teams are starting to realize that and taking advantage of it. Like I posted in another thread, that I have been watching Brown closely this season because I wanted to see for myself why is everybody so high on this him, and so far he hadn't impressed me a bit. QBs are starting to pick on this guy and he's been giving up a lot of plays, mostly important 3rd down conversions that couldn't get the defense off the field.
Our defense is playing lights out that it overshadowed all of Brown's mistakes. I say Brown will not be resigned next season and Wright or Cully will take his spot. Better yet, I'll go ahead and say both Cully and Wright will be our starting CBs next season.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
it's Willis, he hasn't made a play in forever and seems slower out there. Bowman is Da Man and Willis is now an afterthough!
He was guarding a great WR in Smith. Its not possible to stop him, you can just hope to contain him. Although Smith had some drops, Brown did a decent job.

We only allowed 10 points. That should be enough to win it.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
It was clear that where ever Ginn lined up the corners job was to just not get beat down field hoping the dline would get to Newton. So. Brown played off man.
It's too bad the 49ers have to blitz to get a pass rush. Carolina only rushed four and got pressure routinely. The 49ers only rush four and seven guys can't even cover their receivers.

The defense was NOT to blame, why are we even discussing this? Run out of things to talk about with the offense?
  • kdogg
  • Veteran
Just because they complete passes against T Brown doesn't make him the weak link? His coverage is dependent on the defensive call. Fangio likes to call soft coverages and tackle people in front. We rely on the front 4 to bring pressure.

Which leads to OP question, I think the interior D Line is the weak link this year. They're playing good, but not great. That's why we're giving up way more rushing yards, not getting sacks (QBs just step forward in pocket), and why Willis is slipping this year. I think Cowboy and Ray Mac have slipped a little, but they play less and the other DL guys are a huge drop off.
It's actually a fair complaint, the Panthers and 49ers had very similar games, the difference being their defense got off the field and forced us to punt and kick field goals, ours did not, they outplayed us on both sides of the ball on third down and outgained us as well. The game was so close that the difference was going to be which defense broke first, and it ended up being ours, of course we are nitpicking but the difference in a defensive battle was that they scored that touchdown and we settled for field goals, their d came to our field and outshined ours, although marginally, but yeah they had the better defense that day.
Originally posted by Thrash88:
It's actually a fair complaint, the Panthers and 49ers had very similar games, the difference being their defense got off the field and forced us to punt and kick field goals, ours did not, they outplayed us on both sides of the ball on third down and outgained us as well. The game was so close that the difference was going to be which defense broke first, and it ended up being ours, of course we are nitpicking but the difference in a defensive battle was that they scored that touchdown and we settled for field goals, their d came to our field and outshined ours, although marginally, but yeah they had the better defense that day.

You do realize that 6 of our 9 points came from turnovers our defense caused?

Some of you guys sound borderline delusional.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Like i said before.It seems every time the 49ers blitz they send there slowest DB.(Carlos Rodgers)

That makes sense...Rodgers is a pretty slow QB.
Share 49ersWebzone