LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 200 users in the forums

2013 - Week 10: Thoughts after rewatching the game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Fantastic take Buchy. Not having VD means having to re-adjust the strategy in-game.

The best point you raised, to me, is that the spot to upgrade is Boldin as #1 WR. The #1 WR in this offense must be able to stretch the field to contribute as the other deep threat in a 2RB/2TE/1WR set. If that can happen, then HaRo can use that personnel package to gain many mismatches. This personnel forces defenses to play in their base look since they have to respect the run. Then with two deep threats the 49ers can also attack downfield (VD/fast #1 WR).
Great work guys.

But isn't that why we brought in Moore? B/c he was a speedster and could stretch the field and we could take a few shots a game to at least, get the defense thinking about it (some)?
Originally posted by Buchy:
I only briefly touched on that but that scared the s**t out of me when we gave it to Gore that far back. I mean Gore should be sainted for the fact he never gave away a safety - and that run came after we gave Kap a 7 step drop back play in our own end zone. Then we finally hit a slant to MM for first down.

And thanks for the compliments, I hadn't picked up on the designated receiver issue until you guys raised it just after the Indy or Seattle game, and when I went and watched the replays I could see it.

No worries...it's amazing what a little film study can do for a fan!

But here is one for you...one I'm not sure of yet...but do you think CK is being coached NOT to throw the ball to the non-annointed receiver? There just seems to be way too many times where you can see CK looking at a wide open receiver and he doesn't pull the trigger. Or is it a CK-trust/confidence issue? There are times when it does appear his pre-determined target is covered and it looks like he is progression reading but those seem few and far between. So perhaps, built into the foundation of this offensive philosophy, like Alex before him, he is being coached to hit that pre-determined target under 3 seconds, if covered, scramble, buy time but don't pass unless it's a very high percentage passing play and then, when all else fails, use your mobility and legs. Thoughts?

On a side note, it seemed like we flared out the RB/FB's much more this game. Sadly, this may have been the game they SHOULD have kept them in for pass protection.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Great work guys.

But isn't that why we brought in Moore? B/c he was a speedster and could stretch the field and we could take a few shots a game to at least, get the defense thinking about it (some)?

That was my thought on Moore as well, but the problem is who we take off from the 2TE/2 backs we normally run. What we should have been doing is bringing on Moore to stretch the field, sending him deep along with Vernon, having Boldin run whatever route we wanted and leaking out Vance short into the middle of the field. Who do you cover there? Vernon is a mismatch for any 1v1, Moore should have had the pace to stretch the field and be available and then you've got Boldin and Vance as shorter options in a cleared out back field with Frank acting as a blocker.

I think the reason we didn't is because the coaches are reluctant not to put Miller on the field to enable whatever they have lined up in the run game. This is also why LMJ and Hunter are not seeing the field as much as they should, we're very reliant on Miller's blocking in the run game.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
I only briefly touched on that but that scared the s**t out of me when we gave it to Gore that far back. I mean Gore should be sainted for the fact he never gave away a safety - and that run came after we gave Kap a 7 step drop back play in our own end zone. Then we finally hit a slant to MM for first down.

And thanks for the compliments, I hadn't picked up on the designated receiver issue until you guys raised it just after the Indy or Seattle game, and when I went and watched the replays I could see it.

But here is one for you...one I'm not sure of yet...but do you think CK is being coached NOT to throw the ball to the non-annointed receiver? There just seems to be way too many times where you can see CK looking at a wide open receiver and he doesn't pull the trigger. Or is it a CK-trust/confidence issue? There are times when it does appear his pre-determined target is covered and it looks like he is progression reading but those seem few and far between. So perhaps, built into the foundation of this offensive philosophy, like Alex before him, he is being coached to hit that pre-determined target under 3 seconds, if covered, scramble, buy time but don't pass unless it's a very high percentage passing play and then, when all else fails, use your mobility and legs. Thoughts?

On a side note, it seemed like we flared out the RB/FB's much more this game. Sadly, this may have been the game they SHOULD have kept them in for pass protection.

I think Kap is being coached not to by Harbaugh on the basis of how damaging an Interception can be. That INT he threw on our last play was desperation and again highlights the designated receiver. We were going to Boldin regardless on that play and Boldin was doubled. I actually think Harbaugh is being so cautious with Kap on the turnover battle (especially after the Seattle game) that he's actually stunting Kap's ability.

I'll also say I think the same message was given to Alex Smith as you pointed out, hence the game manager label. I think Harbaugh knows the team is reliant on the run game, so it's harder for us to chase a game, we're built to be team that takes and maintains the lead, and thus turnovers are very damaging to us, especially this season where we have such a limited deep threat. Last season with Moss, Delanie (who was deep a lot) and Vernon I think the message was take a shot when you can, this season not so much.

And yeah our pass protection was the worst I have ever seen it - I mean sacked on a 3 man rush. That's not right for 5 professional offensive linemen to let that happen.
  • thl408
Summary of Kap's passes.

1st drive
1Q 14:18 2nd & 10 - 4 route runners
CAR rushes 5
PA pass to Miller for 10 yards.
Kap goes with the safe route, but had 4 route runners as possible targets on slower developing routes.

1Q 13:06 1st & 10 - 3 route runners + Miller with a check release (pass protect then release to a route) (below)
CAR rushes 5
This is the near INT by the CB covering Boldin. Kap does exactly what he is supposed to do and attacks the lone deep
safety with a pump fake that absolutely freezes the safety. Everything is good here except the pass itself which was
placed too far outside allowing the CB to undercut the route.

1Q 11:50 2nd & 7 - 4 route runners
CAR rushes 5 (gore picks up blitzer)
Kap goes with a quick out to Boldin for 5 yards. Quick decision by Kap.

2nd drive
1Q 8:26 2nd & 11 - 4 route runners
CAR rushes 4
Ham takes advantage of the CB cushion and drives towards the CB to push him back further then catches a 10 yard
curl. Taking what the defense gives. Good things all around to set up a 3rd and 1 which Gore gets stuffed on.

3rd drive
2:23 1st & 10 - 3 route runners (below)
CAR rushes 4
Play action, Kap looks to his right for a Boldin SLANT, but the slant route is not available due to the LB dropping into the hook zone which takes away the passing lane (CB playing over top of Boldin). Kap pulls the ball down and quickly looks to Ham running a curl route on the other side of the field. He also sees a LB in the passing lane, is pressured and sacked. To be hyper critical of Kap, Kap needs to look at the LB playing that hook zone and immediately look elsewhere. He hesitates to double verify that the slant is not available and that's all it takes to get sacked. You don't look at the WR here, you look at the LB first.

If the 49ers are going to run playaction out of the I formation, then realize that it will suck in the LBs to the
middle of the field. This takes away passing lanes on slants and curls. Attack the sidelines!

1Q 1:06 3rd & 10 - 4 route runners + Gore check release
CAR rushes 4
Kap feels quick pressure and tucks to run. Too bad CAR is zoned up looking at Kap. They all converge for a 5 yard
scramble.

4th drive (after CAR muff punt)
1Q 0:17 1st & 10 - 5 route runners
Play action to Gore for a catch over the middle. All the 4 other route runners are going vertical which opens up a
lot of room underneath for Gore to play catch and convert an easy first down. Good play design!

2nd Quarter

2Q 14:21 2nd & 7 - 4 route runners + Gore check release
CAR rushes 4.
Play action. Ham drops a pass (nearly gave the CB an INT). Kap could have placed the ball better, but the decision
to go to Ham is correct. I'm calling this as an inaccurate pass.

2Q 14:14 3rd & 7 - 4 route runners
CAR rushes 5 on a zone blitz (blitz the CB, dropback the RE who takes away the slant.)
Quick pass to VD for minimal gain. I think the defensive call just flat out beats the offensive play call here.

5th drive

2Q 12:33 1st & 10 - 3 route runners
CAR rushes 4
Play action roll right. Everyone is fooled by the play fake except LB #56 who keeps his assignment. VD was very
open, but Kap was immediately pressured after faking the handoff. Sack.

2Q 11:21 3rd & 23 - A true anointed WR play
Kyle screen play. Every WR/RB not named Kyle is blocking at the snap of the ball. 5 yard gain.

6th drive (after Brock INT)
2Q 7:26 2nd & 5 - 3 route runners
Play action rollout right to VD coming across the formation. VD is injured. Kap seems to be going to VD the whole
way. It's a quick hit play that relies on the play fake going to the left while VD comes across the formation.

7th Drive
2Q 1:52 1st & 10
CAR rushes 4
Zone coverage by the LBs allows Boldin to sit in a soft spot and catch a 9 yard curl. Ball is delivered in rhythm by Kap.

2Q 1:17 2nd & 1 - 4 route runners + Hunter check release
CAR rushes 3
The pass is a bit low causing Hunter to bobble and drop what should have been an easy first down.

2Q 1:04 1st&10 - 4 route runners (below)
CAR rushes 4 + SS comes on delayed overload blitz. No one picks up the SS. CAR drops the RE into coverage.
The 49ers ran 4 verticals making this a slow developing play. Add to the fact that VD is not in the game and this is
a bad play call as no one can really stretch the field.

2Q 0:36 2nd & 18 - 4 route runners + Hunter check release
CAR rushes 4 (Staley gets owned on an inside move)
Kap is immediately pressured and scrambles left for minimal gain.

END HALF
  • thl408
2nd HALF

8th drive
3Q 11:57 1st & 10 - 5 route runners
CAR rushes 4
Kap sees a big cushion on Boldin and goes with the quick hitch. Gain of 9. Take what defense gives. I see Gore on a
flare out, awesome.

3Q 10:16 3rd & 12 - 4 route runners + Gore check release
CAR rushes 4
Everything beyond the 1st down marker is covered, so Kap gets rid of the ball, on rhythm, to Gore who catches the ball at a standstill. CAR coverges for the tackle well short of the frist down. Boldin was running a short cross and if hit in stride has a much better chance at RAC.

9th drive (No passes, Hunter fumble)

10th drive
3Q 0:14 1st & 10 - 4 route runners + Gore check release
CAR rushes 5
Kap breaks containment and scrambles up the middle for 16 + a roughing penalty. The scramble is in rhythm. Dropback,
set, nothing seen open, scramble. Boldin was available on an out pattern, but the scramble was also open.

4th Quarter
4Q 15:00 1st & 15 - 2 route runners (hitches on opposite sides of the field)
Quick hitch to Ham, drop. There was a big cushion by the CBs and Kap wanted to take what was given. It looked like a
Kap option to hitch to either side (Boldin on other side of formation).

4Q 14:58 2nd & 15 - 4 route runners + Gore check release (below)
This was the Vance drop. Kap releases this pass in rhythm. The play call is perfect versus the coverage.

4Q 14:52 3rd & 15 - Anointed WR route by Ham
Offensive PI by Boldin

4Q 14:23 3rd & 25 - 5 route runners
CAR rushes 4 (ADavis with poor pass pro)
Play action, Kap is pressured immediatly and is sacked.

11th drive
4Q 9:49 2nd & 6 - 5 route runners
CAR rushes 5 (Goodwin and ADavis with poor pass pro)
Kap never has a chance to scan the field and throws the ball away after being flushed to the left.

4Q 9:08 3rd & 6 - 4 route runners + Gore check release (below)
CAR rushes 4 - It's a lone deep saftey look that quickly becomes a Cover 4 as the FS retreats to his deep zone pre-snap once the playclock hit 5 seconds. Very nice disguise as it makes Kap think that a corner route will be open.

Kap goes to Boldin on a corner route when he had Gore underneath on the dump off. With CAR in a cover 4, the deep pattern was not there.

Below: This is what the coverage ends up looking like. Boldin was never open.

12th drive
4Q 5:25 1st & 10 - 4 route runner but Ham is a decoy to clear the field for Miller in the flat
CAR rushes 4
Play action to Miller in the flat. CAR sniffs this out and Miller is covered. Kap throws the ball away.

4Q 4:39 3rd & 10 - 4 route runners + Gore check release
Slant pass to Ham for 14 yards and a first down conversion. Good set and throw.

4Q 4:02 1st & 10 - 4 route runners
CAR rushes 4 + delayed blitz by a LB
Excellent pressure up the middle by CAR, then in comes Kuechly on a delayed blitz. What's worse is the protection
call was good (Gore help the left side), but Iupati fails on this play. Iupati's failure to control his man forces
Gore to help. Gore helping Iupati opens up a hole for Kuechly to blitz through.

4Q 3:29 2nd & 19 - 4 route runners + Gore check release
CAR rushes 4
Kap quick throw to Ham on a hitch. My guess is since Kap is near his own endzone he wants this ball out quick and
doesn't feel like he can wait for the deeper patterns to develop. It's a cover 4 so nothing deep is going to
materialize.

4Q 2:45 3rd & 13 - 4 route runners
CAR rushes 4 -
Not sure what they are trying to do here as Kap looks to Vance who is bracketed by the LBs in the middle of the
field. The WRs run half assed comeback patterns on the outside. Boldin int he slot runs right towards the FS who is
playing overtop.

13th drive
4Q 1:02 1st & 10 - 4 route runners + Gore check release
CAR rushes 4 - inside stunt by the 2DTs creates pressure right in Kap's face
Kap is pressured and the play never fully develops. It's a slower develpoing play and time was necessary for this
play to succeed. No one was really open anyway.

4Q 0:37 2nd & 16 - 4 route runners
CAR rushes 4
What a disaster of a play. Both Ham and Kyle line up beside each other and run the same depth corner route. Interception.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Summary of Kap's passes.

1st drive
1Q 14:18 2nd & 10 - 4 route runners
CAR rushes 5
PA pass to Miller for 10 yards.
Kap goes with the safe route, but had 4 route runners as possible targets on slower developing routes.

1Q 13:06 1st & 10 - 3 route runners + Miller with a check release (pass protect then release to a route) (below)
CAR rushes 5
This is the near INT by the CB covering Boldin. Kap does exactly what he is supposed to do and attacks the lone deep
safety with a pump fake that absolutely freezes the safety. Everything is good here except the pass itself which was
placed too far outside allowing the CB to undercut the route.

1Q 11:50 2nd & 7 - 4 route runners
CAR rushes 5 (gore picks up blitzer)
Kap goes with a quick out to Boldin for 5 yards. Quick decision by Kap.

2nd drive
1Q 8:26 2nd & 11 - 4 route runners
CAR rushes 4
Ham takes advantage of the CB cushion and drives towards the CB to push him back further then catches a 10 yard
curl. Taking what the defense gives. Good things all around to set up a 3rd and 1 which Gore gets stuffed on.

3rd drive
2:23 1st & 10 - 3 route runners (below)
CAR rushes 4
Play action, Kap looks to his right for a Boldin SLANT, but the slant route is not available due to the LB dropping into the hook zone which takes away the passing lane (CB playing over top of Boldin). Kap pulls the ball down and quickly looks to Ham running a curl route on the other side of the field. He also sees a LB in the passing lane, is pressured and sacked. To be hyper critical of Kap, Kap needs to look at the LB playing that hook zone and immediately look elsewhere. He hesitates to double verify that the slant is not available and that's all it takes to get sacked. You don't look at the WR here, you look at the LB first.

If the 49ers are going to run playaction out of the I formation, then realize that it will suck in the LBs to the
middle of the field. This takes away passing lanes on slants and curls. Attack the sidelines!

1Q 1:06 3rd & 10 - 4 route runners + Gore check release
CAR rushes 4
Kap feels quick pressure and tucks to run. Too bad CAR is zoned up looking at Kap. They all converge for a 5 yard
scramble.

4th drive (after CAR muff punt)
1Q 0:17 1st & 10 - 5 route runners
Play action to Gore for a catch over the middle. All the 4 other route runners are going vertical which opens up a
lot of room underneath for Gore to play catch and convert an easy first down. Good play design!

2nd Quarter

2Q 14:21 2nd & 7 - 4 route runners + Gore check release
CAR rushes 4.
Play action. Ham drops a pass (nearly gave the CB an INT). Kap could have placed the ball better, but the decision
to go to Ham is correct. I'm calling this as an inaccurate pass.

2Q 14:14 3rd & 7 - 4 route runners
CAR rushes 5 on a zone blitz (blitz the CB, dropback the RE who takes away the slant.)
Quick pass to VD for minimal gain. I think the defensive call just flat out beats the offensive play call here.

5th drive

2Q 12:33 1st & 10 - 3 route runners
CAR rushes 4
Play action roll right. Everyone is fooled by the play fake except LB #56 who keeps his assignment. VD was very
open, but Kap was immediately pressured after faking the handoff. Sack.

2Q 11:21 3rd & 23 - A true anointed WR play
Kyle screen play. Every WR/RB not named Kyle is blocking at the snap of the ball. 5 yard gain.

6th drive (after Brock INT)
2Q 7:26 2nd & 5 - 3 route runners
Play action rollout right to VD coming across the formation. VD is injured. Kap seems to be going to VD the whole
way. It's a quick hit play that relies on the play fake going to the left while VD comes across the formation.

7th Drive
2Q 1:52 1st & 10
CAR rushes 4
Zone coverage by the LBs allows Boldin to sit in a soft spot and catch a 9 yard curl. Ball is delivered in rhythm by Kap.

2Q 1:17 2nd & 1 - 4 route runners + Hunter check release
CAR rushes 3
The pass is a bit low causing Hunter to bobble and drop what should have been an easy first down.

2Q 1:04 1st&10 - 4 route runners (below)
CAR rushes 4 + SS comes on delayed overload blitz. No one picks up the SS. CAR drops the RE into coverage.
The 49ers ran 4 verticals making this a slow developing play. Add to the fact that VD is not in the game and this is
a bad play call as no one can really stretch the field.

2Q 0:36 2nd & 18 - 4 route runners + Hunter check release
CAR rushes 4 (Staley gets owned on an inside move)
Kap is immediately pressured and scrambles left for minimal gain.

END HALF

I gotta go to sleep (in the UK) but what is really interesting about those frames is the head positions of the receivers. Now MrMcgiblets and I were debating about this on another thread regarding the concept of designated receiver.

Look at your first picture: Boldin is the designated receiver and first read. Miller has finished his route and turns to be an option but he's drawn the covering defender. Boldin has his head turned as he comes into his designated receiving area. Notice that the bottom receiver isn't even looking at Kap, is double covered and running to the touchline anyway. How can he be a read with his head turned?

Picture 2: Boldin is coming in as the designated receiver. miller seems to be running a similar route as picture one but is not looking at Kap to receive. Manningham or the bottom receiver is running deep, head facing the end zone and also not looking back to Kap to be a read that can catch.

Picture 3: This could be a call with multiple reads, but top reeiver is again going deep and looking straight ahead, not back at Kap. 2nd receiver down is also looking away from Kap. Miller or Vance looks like they are open but again the head angle is straight down field. Bottom receiver (don't know who) looks like the designated receiver, his head is turned towards Kap and Kap is angled towards him.

This is why I think our offense is so bad, if all these targets were legitimate reads their heads should be turned to Kap or they should be running angles that let them see him. Given was so pressured on pic three and no one broke off or turned back, again it tells me there's only one designated receiver on the plays.
  • thl408
I wanted to point out that the 49ers are giving Kap options on pass plays, in this game. It is a pro style look with many receiving options available. There were just 2 anointed WR plays (Kyle and Ham), with few simple read plays off play action to the flats sprinkled in. In summary, the protection failed the 49ers in this game. Goodwin and Iupati were especially bad. When VD came out of the game, nothing changed as they still ran deep routes that were slow developing. Sacks and a few dropped passes were killing drives. The WRs on the outside were not getting open save for some hitch throws. Too few crossing routes, too few passes to RBs. Kap is throwing in rhythm when he can. That is encouraging to me.

So coming out of the bye it looks like they want Kap to make quick decisive throws while allowing him to read coverage. For a QB that is struggling to read coverage I really hope HaRo allows Kap to play more under center. This allows Kap to look at the coverage right before the snap and the split second after Goodwin snaps the ball. Instead of Kap looking at Goodwin's butt to secure the snap from pistol/shotgun, Kap can see what last second changes are being done by the secondary.

I think Kap is being coached not to by Harbaugh on the basis of how damaging an Interception can be. That INT he threw on our last play was desperation and again highlights the designated receiver. We were going to Boldin regardless on that play and Boldin was doubled. I actually think Harbaugh is being so cautious with Kap on the turnover battle (especially after the Seattle game) that he's actually stunting Kap's ability.

I'll also say I think the same message was given to Alex Smith as you pointed out, hence the game manager label. I think Harbaugh knows the team is reliant on the run game, so it's harder for us to chase a game, we're built to be team that takes and maintains the lead, and thus turnovers are very damaging to us, especially this season where we have such a limited deep threat. Last season with Moss, Delanie (who was deep a lot) and Vernon I think the message was take a shot when you can, this season not so much.

And yeah our pass protection was the worst I have ever seen it - I mean sacked on a 3 man rush. That's not right for 5 professional offensive linemen to let that happen.

OK good, I'm not the only one who may be seeing the effects of "alleged" coaching issues and perhaps, as a result, we may be seeing more and more regression; this downward arrow. And no doubt, this certainly shouldn't mimimize the OTHER issues that were very obvious as well (TO's, OL pass protection, drops, QB accuracy/decision-making, WR's running to the same spots, etc.).
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM ]

• thl408
I gotta go to sleep (in the UK) but what is really interesting about those frames is the head positions of the receivers. Now MrMcgiblets and I were debating about this on another thread regarding the concept of designated receiver.

Look at your first picture: Boldin is the designated receiver and first read. Miller has finished his route and turns to be an option but he's drawn the covering defender. Boldin has his head turned as he comes into his designated receiving area. Notice that the bottom receiver isn't even looking at Kap, is double covered and running to the touchline anyway. How can he be a read with his head turned?

Picture 2: Boldin is coming in as the designated receiver. miller seems to be running a similar route as picture one but is not looking at Kap to receive. Manningham or the bottom receiver is running deep, head facing the end zone and also not looking back to Kap to be a read that can catch.

Picture 3: This could be a call with multiple reads, but top reeiver is again going deep and looking straight ahead, not back at Kap. 2nd receiver down is also looking away from Kap. Miller or Vance looks like they are open but again the head angle is straight down field. Bottom receiver (don't know who) looks like the designated receiver, his head is turned towards Kap and Kap is angled towards him.

This is why I think our offense is so bad, if all these targets were legitimate reads their heads should be turned to Kap or they should be running angles that let them see him. Given was so pressured on pic three and no one broke off or turned back, again it tells me there's only one designated receiver on the plays.
Pic #1:
VD is running a stop and go route. This pic has him starting the go part. If you watch the play again, I'm positive you'll see it. This is a multiple read pass play.

Pic #2:
Ham (bottom) is running a curl route and is selling the fly pattern in this freeze frame. He does eventually turn around and actually gets a look from Kap, but pressure is on Kap by now. Ham is an option on this play. This is a perfect example of a progression read play. The first read is Boldin. If Boldin is not available, then the next read is Ham who must make his break as Kap is moving off his first read.

Pic #3:
This was a slow developing play as there were multiple deep patterns being run. That's why no one's head is turned in the picture. The protection never allowed this play to have a chance.

I doubt Kap is being told not to throw it to an open receiver.
Originally posted by thl408:
I wanted to point out that the 49ers are giving Kap options on pass plays, in this game. It is a pro style look with many receiving options available. There were just 2 anointed WR plays (Kyle and Ham), with few simple read plays off play action to the flats sprinkled in. In summary, the protection failed the 49ers in this game. Goodwin and Iupati were especially bad. When VD came out of the game, nothing changed as they still ran deep routes that were slow developing. Sacks and a few dropped passes were killing drives. The WRs on the outside were not getting open save for some hitch throws. Too few crossing routes, too few passes to RBs. Kap is throwing in rhythm when he can. That is encouraging to me.

So coming out of the bye it looks like they want Kap to make quick decisive throws while allowing him to read coverage. For a QB that is struggling to read coverage I really hope HaRo allows Kap to play more under center. This allows Kap to look at the coverage right before the snap and the split second after Goodwin snaps the ball. Instead of Kap looking at Goodwin's butt to secure the snap from pistol/shotgun, Kap can see what last second changes are being done by the secondary.

This is a great point...I know we highlighted a previous game and were blown away by how more snaps CK took under center. I haven't had a chance to watch the game again but will take note again. It also seemed that we flared the RB/FB's out more this game but other than the designated receiver (Gore) pass where everyone else ran deep (good design), did we hit any others on passing plays that broke down?

As far as the % of plays where there is a pre-determined, annointed receiver, no doubt they are in built into the game plans (no issue with these esp. when they work - LOL) but I'm still not feeling we're up to a full pro-style offense where WR's are breaking out of their route trees (if they have one) during plays where the QB is being pressured. I still think almost all plays are designed to be passed under 3 seconds so that alone, may mean we don't NEED a route tree b/c that is only time enough for one read usually...that annointed receiver. Buchy does also bring up a good point about, even in these stills, you can see many "receivers" not even looking to get the ball...maybe b/c they are still in the mode of doing their part on that play to get someone else the ball? Perhaps, the next wave of installation are hot-reads...built in routes off of primary routes when a QB is pressured? Maybe then the focus will come back to the QB-WR connection and open up many more outlets for CK. Perhaps Roman is trying that now (wrong game to try that in BTW) by building in the Rb/FB's as actual receiving outlets for broken plays as we can expect these against a great front 7 that can bring pressure. Who knows...

• thl408
Sorry Buchy, but in this game there are not as many 1WR type plays as you may be lead to believe. This was a legit pro style offense being run versus CAR. Does the coaching staff receive blame for letting Kap sink or swim or does Kap need to be more decisive, especially in the face of pressure? Kap needs more reps making these decisions. The biggest flaw the coaches made in this game was continuing to call slow developing routes with the Oline struggling with pass protection AND with VD out of the game. This has been mentioned a few times by some posters and I agree with it. That was the most glaring adjustments that were not made, in my opinion.
Originally posted by real9erfan:

I doubt Kap is being told not to throw it to an open receiver.

Sounds crazy huh!?! But remember all the issues we as fans had with Alex as well. "Why doesn't he pass when a guy is WIDE open" or "Why can't he pull the trigger?" or "Why doesn't he throw a receiver open?"

Now its the EXACT same things being said about CK and prior to this year, I'm fairly certain, nobody would guess they'd be saying things like about CK 9 games into the year. People liked CK b/c he WAS fearless and would make those throws and would take those risks. But now?

I'm starting to think coaching is starting to come into focus for our young CK.
Share 49ersWebzone