LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 221 users in the forums

2013 - Week 10: Thoughts after rewatching the game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LosAngeles49er:
Originally posted by Empire49:
I'm about as big of a Kap supporter as there is. I've watched this kid since his high school days, as my brother-in-law played against him. I followed him at Nevada and I was ecstatic when we drafted him.

That being said, the guy played a horrible game yesterday. It was ridiculously bad and hard to watch. If Vernon is out, we're screwed. Boldin gets shut down and Kap cannot find anyone else. It's pathetic.

However, the guy is a gifted athlete and I have no doubts he will rebound when he gets his boy Crabs back. It's funny how teams knew he would be looking for Crabtree last year and still couldn't do anything about it. This year they know he'll be looking for Boldin, but the difference is teams are able to stop it. I like Boldin, but I said from the beginning that he is a past-his-prime, slower and older version of Crabtree.

Anyway, I strongly believe if Vance McDonald catches that long bomb that Kap placed PERFECTLY, we win that game. That doesn't excuse the rest of Kap's poor play, but it might give you a little insight on why he doesn't trust any receivers besides Boldin and VD (outside of Crabs, if course).
I hear u bro, but while I agree he has a similar skill-set to KING CRAB, I couldn't DISAGREE with you more as to why somehow teams couldn't STOP KING CRAB, but can magically as u say "STOP" the BULL Antwan BOLDIN (something we couldn't do to save our lives JUST LAST Superbowl!! No??!!)
A Superbowl, where arguably an OLDER CRAB in BOLDEN had just as good, if not a BETTER game than YOUNG CRAB-. To be fair, if anything shouldn't u probably infer that KillerKRABS reminds you of a younger version of the Beast BOLDIN?? Just sayin lol While Boldin is older making him YES, "past his prime" (given ONLY his AGE), Boldin has never been a speed guy even in college at FSU or during his 1st Superbowl appearance with Arizona!! Hes always been very physical, great blocking, great rt runner, yards after contact, and prolific "JUMP BALL" snatching, clutch outside WR with insane catching hands (Yes-like Crabs). But he is JUST AS EFFECTIVE, SKILLED, and COMPLETE at his craft as he has ever been. A Savvy Leader with INSANE HANDS, and although hes a bit slower, which he has never relied on anyhow, he excels at finding the soft spots and reading defenses better than he ever has, characterized by one of his BEST years of his career LAST YEAR in Baltimore Here is the Truth:

Reason 1: Boldin has always had the luxury of being in productive passing offenses with PASSING QBs (Yes Warner and even Flacco), who actually more times than not have a more open Passing attack with balls/attempts thrown his way, whether they are jump ball situations or traditional wheel Rts. After watching many games, including GB and others, it should be painfully obvious that not ONLY is AB outstanding given when given optuntys, but HE HAS been reduced to a "BLOCKING" or GHOST DECOY down the field guy, if not pre-selected as the go to guy in our Flag football "anointed WR" run dominate system. But UNLIKE CRABS, he doesnt have a DF-WR threat or decoy like Moss or DelWalk on the other side of the field to keep defenses honest, thinking, and guessing (let alone atleast a HEALTHY WR core period-hell just got HAM back).

#2: Boldin, UNLIKE CRABS doesn't have the same confident Kaep from last year feeling comfortable with a healthy receiving core. Also, with Kaep being hesitant and not playing as well this year (Having aired it out on a consistent bases last year), hes been for the most part this year reduced to a GAME MANAGER, so passing play are hardly existent, which = less attempts/yards and on field chemistry with Bolden

#3 Boldin, UNLIKE CRABS, didn't have the luxury of playing with a surprising, somewhat unknown commodity in QB Kaep and the READ OPTION last year. Opposing defenses were still attempting to STOP an ARSENAL full of weapons (Kaeps arm and feet, VD, Gore, HAM, and CRABS, MOSS, even Delanie), which provided a lot of 1 on 1 optnty and just more room to operate for CRABS and just opened up the field in general. This Yr, opposing defenses are no longer caught off guard by Kaep or the ReadOption., and TOTALLY GAME PLAN to STOP ONLY 2 threats (AB VD) in Romans Youth football Passing Offense (let alone a DF-WRing threat/decoy like Moss)

CRABS is my FAV player in football and always will be as long as hes a 49er, but PLS lets not make seemingly blanket statements about the only GREAT WR we have donning the Scarlet and Gold right now AND lets avoid putting so much pressure on CRABS, looking for to him to come bk AS SUPERMAN (while getting double covered) to SAVE THIS inept passing attack and all of our problems, bc u may end up mischaracterizing KILLERKRABS abilities in your haste to make sense of our struggling offense. I wudnt blame u tho....sorry for long post....BTW great post

Your point number three is very important. Kap could get away with a lot of one read quarterbacking because offenses weren't able to double Crabs all the time and the decoy receiver(Moss) who could stretch the field along with Davis(notice how many passes he caught prior to the playoffs). Now Kaps inability to beat pressure and to make more than one quick read before bailing out is crippling this offense, along with the pop warner play calling.
anyone have stats on the average time to throw per drop back? cuz it looked awful for most of the game....i saw kaep hold onto a few he shouldnt have but he was getting swarmed out there
It was just a bad game and I think everyone deserves a fair share of blame. Kap didn't play well but Carolina has an elite front 7 and have made a few guys look bad. I hate all the Wilson bashing on here....makes us look stupid. He's a great QB and saying things like he just lobs it up etc is just plain ignorant. Kaep AND Wilson are two of the most talented QB's in football and will have a rivalry for years to come.

We have the same problem Seattle has in regards to receivers getting open its just that up to this point Wilson has just done a better job at finding the right guy. Kap has to progress through reads better.
Originally posted by tricitiesfan:
It was just a bad game and I think everyone deserves a fair share of blame. Kap didn't play well but Carolina has an elite front 7 and have made a few guys look bad. I hate all the Wilson bashing on here....makes us look stupid. He's a great QB and saying things like he just lobs it up etc is just plain ignorant. Kaep AND Wilson are two of the most talented QB's in football and will have a rivalry for years to come.

We have the same problem Seattle has in regards to receivers getting open its just that up to this point Wilson has just done a better job at finding the right guy. Kap has to progress through reads better.

Hope that wasn't pointed at me. My point wasn't at all a bash on Wilson. It was more jealousy over a WR corps capable of making those plays.
This is what I'm talkin' about. The Loss of Delanie is looming larger than we ever thought it would.

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff17m
On throws downfield of 20+ yards this year Colin Kaepernick is 12/35 (34.3%). Last year he was 19/33 (57.6% - best in NFL). #49ers

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff8m
Kaepernick's 19 "deep" completions last year: Delanie 7, Crabtree 4, Vernon 3, Moss 2, Kyle W 1, Celek 1, Mario 1. #49ers

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff7m
Kaepernick's 12 "deep" completions this year: Vernon 8, Boldin 3, McDonald 1. #49ers
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tricitiesfan:

Wilson is a smart Qb who has not had much time because of injuries to his OL, but has played well and won close games. Kaepernick and this Offense are not working and if the coaches do not improve the passing game we will barely make the play offs and probably exit quickly. I love Kaepernick but where is that passing attack we saw against Chicago and New Orleans last year?
Originally posted by Marvin49:
This is what I'm talkin' about. The Loss of Delanie is looming larger than we ever thought it would.

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff17m
On throws downfield of 20+ yards this year Colin Kaepernick is 12/35 (34.3%). Last year he was 19/33 (57.6% - best in NFL). #49ers

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff8m
Kaepernick's 19 "deep" completions last year: Delanie 7, Crabtree 4, Vernon 3, Moss 2, Kyle W 1, Celek 1, Mario 1. #49ers

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff7m
Kaepernick's 12 "deep" completions this year: Vernon 8, Boldin 3, McDonald 1. #49ers

We dont need to be hitting bombs to move the ball. Underneath stuff is fine with me as long as it moves the ball.

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff17m

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff8m

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff7m

Probably true, but every team loses, players, and every team has players injured. I watched a game, and you ever see what a QB does when he feels the WR aren't doing there best or trying their hardest. I remember Brady a few weeks back with almost no weapons. Not comparing Kaep to Brady, please. But in generalities of being a starting QB. He demanded they play better, he shook a fire under their ass, and they have less no names then we do. A few years back didnt we go 13-3 with very few weapons. I'm not saying that WR and TE is not a problem. But what we do have left, is still a lot better than many on our team.

I mean how come we dont read about Kaep and WR's staying late to practice, or any of that. All offseason we knew it was gonna be a tough road, and many of us actually said, well i hope he's using this time to gel with his WR's. I dont want to hear about not trusting them now, because had he played in more games in pre-season, he could of tried and developed a rapport.

As I said it's not all on Kaep, but Kaep also isnt doing anything to help his cause. And honestly even if we win against NO's that doesnt mean the issue is over. Id like to see the Kaep of old, who's main specialty was making something out of nothing. thats when he was at his best, and one thing i noticed in 5 different articles over the past couple of days. Why do people say that after his first read he freezes for a second. Is this true, and I wonder if anyone else notices or noticed that in this last game.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff17m

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff8m

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff7m

We dont need to be hitting bombs to move the ball. Underneath stuff is fine with me as long as it moves the ball.

Maybe.....but we aren't talking about bombs. We are talking about the consistant 20+ yard strikes that became a staple of the offense last year.

THAT is what has been missing THIS year in in my opinion it has ALOT to do with the loss of Delanie Walker and injuries to Crab and Vernon.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff17m

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff8m

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff7m

Probably true, but every team loses, players, and every team has players injured. I watched a game, and you ever see what a QB does when he feels the WR aren't doing there best or trying their hardest. I remember Brady a few weeks back with almost no weapons. Not comparing Kaep to Brady, please. But in generalities of being a starting QB. He demanded they play better, he shook a fire under their ass, and they have less no names then we do. A few years back didnt we go 13-3 with very few weapons. I'm not saying that WR and TE is not a problem. But what we do have left, is still a lot better than many on our team.

I mean how come we dont read about Kaep and WR's staying late to practice, or any of that. All offseason we knew it was gonna be a tough road, and many of us actually said, well i hope he's using this time to gel with his WR's. I dont want to hear about not trusting them now, because had he played in more games in pre-season, he could of tried and developed a rapport.

As I said it's not all on Kaep, but Kaep also isnt doing anything to help his cause. And honestly even if we win against NO's that doesnt mean the issue is over. Id like to see the Kaep of old, who's main specialty was making something out of nothing. thats when he was at his best, and one thing i noticed in 5 different articles over the past couple of days. Why do people say that after his first read he freezes for a second. Is this true, and I wonder if anyone else notices or noticed that in this last game.

To be fair, Brady is a 4 time super bowl champ and has been around forever. He is one of the greatest QB's of all time. He gets that right. Kaepernick is still in the learning phase and is still in the "earning his rep" phase.

Originally posted by bzborow1:
To be fair, Brady is a 4 time super bowl champ and has been around forever. He is one of the greatest QB's of all time. He gets that right. Kaepernick is still in the learning phase and is still in the "earning his rep" phase.

Brady has not won 4 Superbowls.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jersey9er:

Tom Brady was having one of his worst seasons with no offensive weapons and he will go down as a top 5 QB of all time. Gronk comes back, his best player, and once he gets acclimated to playing Brady throws 4 TDs for 432 yards while completing 69% of his passes (Stats before that game 9 TDs, 6 INTs at 55% for a 75 rating)

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff17m

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff8m

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff7m

Maybe.....but we aren't talking about bombs. We are talking about the consistant 20+ yard strikes that became a staple of the offense last year.

THAT is what has been missing THIS year in in my opinion it has ALOT to do with the loss of Delanie Walker and injuries to Crab and Vernon.
Vernon has been healthy most of the year. And the first stat shows an issue, his accuracy is off. Now some of that does go to the WR/TE but it also falls on Kap.

I think the why is because of what we did last year. Teams didn't trust Alex deep so when Kap came in they kept the status quo....and got toasted. Now they know he can go deep and better prepare for it, but leave the underneath open and he isnt seeing it. Four 5yd passes can still get 20, and I'm 100000% ok with doing it that way.

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff17m

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff8m

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff7m

Vernon has been healthy most of the year. And the first stat shows an issue, his accuracy is off. Now some of that does go to the WR/TE but it also falls on Kap.

I think the why is because of what we did last year. Teams didn't trust Alex deep so when Kap came in they kept the status quo....and got toasted. Now they know he can go deep and better prepare for it, but leave the underneath open and he isnt seeing it. Four 5yd passes can still get 20, and I'm 100000% ok with doing it that way.

BINGO. And until he gets this through his THICK SKULL, he is going to struggle mightily against teams that have prepped well to stop us deep.
I would like to just point out yet again that Colin was 7/11 for 52 yds in the first half and the two passes he made in the 3rd quarter were maybe 9 yds each. He was not looking for the deep bombs for the majority of the game on Sunday. He was perfectly fine with dinking and dunking.
Share 49ersWebzone