LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Nick Moody

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • eman
  • Veteran
Quick question guys
This guy plays MLB and we have several players capable of playing it well there.
stupar and wilhoite can hold their own. I just dont understand why the return of Moody is being considered a huge upgrade
i like our return team the way it is, and bringing moody may mess with the chemistry

Any reason why Moody is being considered a sure shoe in for the active game day roster???
Originally posted by eman:
Quick question guys
This guy plays MLB and we have several players capable of playing it well there.
stupar and wilhoite can hold their own. I just dont understand why the return of Moody is being considered a huge upgrade
i like our return team the way it is, and bringing moody may mess with the chemistry

Any reason why Moody is being considered a sure shoe in for the active game day roster???

Probably because he impressed during the preseason, he has the experience of having played safety as well as inside linebacker and has a lot of potential. There's no reason why Moody couldn't provide even further improvement on special teams.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM ]
Stupar played well the last 3 games of the pre-season at ILB but I think he doesn't have the speed Moody has to cover. I think Moody has better potential at ILB. Stupar is playing well on ST but Moody is suppose to be a good ST player as well. Who knows we might keep both. There's no guarantee we cut Stupar when Moody comes back. Also, not sure anyone said he is a huge upgrade. I think they are about the same but Moody has better potential at ILB and is faster. I doubt Moody would ever play SS. I think we'd bring in another CB before that and that's if Whitner, Dahl and Spillman all get hurt in the same game. That being said the coaches like versatile guys even if they will likely never play that spot in a regular season game (ie: Dobbs at TE).

By thew ay here is the Moody thread.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/172943-nick-moody-is-a-49er/page5/
  • sfout
  • Veteran
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/172943-nick-moody-is-a-49er/page5/search=moody merge?

and....

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Quick question guys

Probably because he impressed during the preseason, he has the experience of having played safety as well as inside linebacker and has a lot of potential. There's no reason why Moody couldn't provide even further improvement on special teams.

This. Moody impressed in the preseason was drafted specifically for his ability and skill on special teams that he showed at Florida State. Stupar could very will lose his spot to him or may one of the WRs or DBs.
  • eman
  • Veteran
Sorry guys, mods pls merge
I was just asking because id rather go with chemistry than the potential of getting someone flashier or sexier because special teams is all about lane recognition and playing well with eachother. I think stupar has the better advantage when it comes there.
Plus we are talking about the backup to willis and bowman, sort of like how viking fans could be talking about backup to Adrian Peterson, these players will never see the light of day save for freak accident!
I was just asking because id rather go with chemistry than the potential of getting someone flashier or sexier because special teams is all about lane recognition and playing well with eachother. I think stupar has the better advantage when it comes there.
Plus we are talking about the backup to willis and bowman, sort of like how viking fans could be talking about backup to Adrian Peterson, these players will never see the light of day save for freak accident!

This is nonsense. Moody has better potential, they drafted him because of his versatility, he can be an excellent special teams guy and also provide quality depth at ILB. Now that Moody is healthy, the 49ers can't very well cut him and he has more future value to this team than Stupar does, simple as that.

Maybe down the road Moody could take the #3 but seems like Wilhoite is the #3 for now although he is a free agent after this year and should be back for cheap. I don't know if Moody for Stupar would hurt the chemistry or not. I wouldn't think so since I think Spillman, Osgood, Ventrone are the main guys and the leaders. Then just guessing the second group would be something like Skuta, Dahl, Dixon, Morris, Stupar, Lemonier, etc. It's hard to say without being in the locker room but losing Stupar wouldn't be like losing Costanzo who was the heart and sole of the coverage teams. Colin Jones was up there with Spillman the year we traded him. I think those 2 were bigger than what Stupar is now. Either way nice to know we learned our lesson on the coverage teams. We got to concerned last year with guys being versatile and guys got cut because they only played ST. Well this year we went back to the 2011 way and kept guys just because of ST and didn't go too crazy over versatility.

Edit: I think some are being a little hard on Stupar. I thought after the 1st game the guy had no business on the roster but games 2, 3, 4 he played pretty well. I think he'd be able to stick long term with a team not as good as us and he very well may be able to hold on the rest of the year with us. Just not sure he has a long term future with us. He's played solid enough on ST but to me with Moody being a 6th rounder, being faster and more potential at ILB (even if similar ST players) he'd have the advantage of being our future. If nobody picks him up he should head to the practice squad and join us again next offseason with a chance to make the roster again. I think it will depend on if Wilhoite is re-signed or not. I don't see Fleming being a factor after his injuries and I have no idea why he is still around. They must have really liked his potential.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 1, 2013 at 11:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Maybe down the road Moody could take the #3 but seems like Wilhoite is the #3 for now although he is a free agent after this year and should be back for cheap. I don't know if Moody for Stupar would hurt the chemistry or not. I wouldn't think so since I think Spillman, Osgood, Ventrone are the main guys and the leaders. Then just guessing the second group would be something like Skuta, Dahl, Dixon, Morris, Stupar, Lemonier, etc. It's hard to say without being in the locker room but losing Stupar wouldn't be like losing Costanzo who was the heart and sole of the coverage teams. Colin Jones was up there with Spillman the year we traded him. I think those 2 were bigger than what Stupar is now. Either way nice to know we learned our lesson on the coverage teams. We got to concerned last year with guys being versatile and guys got cut because they only played ST. Well this year we went back to the 2011 way and kept guys just because of ST and didn't go too crazy over versatility.

Edit: I think some are being a little hard on Stupar. I thought after the 1st game the guy had no business on the roster but games 2, 3, 4 he played pretty well. I think he'd be able to stick long term with a team not as good as us and he very well may be able to hold on the rest of the year with us. Just not sure he has a long term future with us. He's played solid enough on ST but to me with Moody being a 6th rounder, being faster and more potential at ILB (even if similar ST players) he'd have the advantage of being our future. If nobody picks him up he should head to the practice squad and join us again next offseason with a chance to make the roster again. I think it will depend on if Wilhoite is re-signed or not. I don't see Fleming being a factor after his injuries and I have no idea why he is still around. They must have really liked his potential.

I believe our ST core should be Spillman, Osgood, Morris, Moody, Skuta, Lemonier, Ventrone, Dahl(If kept), Dixon(If re-signed), Wilhoite, and Cox. Not sure Brock would play STs anymore, though Bowman was/is as a starter. As was Delanie and Goldson last year.
AB, I was referring to this year's ST unit since he was talking about how cutting Stupar for Moody could hurt the ST chemistry. Although, I guess could play into how it affects it next year as well but I don't think cutting Stupar would hurt like with Costanzo who was the heart and sole or Colin Jones who was the 2nd best gunner next to Spillman. On that note though has anyone seen Brock play ST this year? I'm blanking on it but don't recall seeing him out there since he is starting. Bowman too... I know him and Goldson were on punt team last year but is Bowman out there this year. I should have seen I rewatched all the games just blanking right now.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
AB, I was referring to this year's ST unit since he was talking about how cutting Stupar for Moody could hurt the ST chemistry. Although, I guess could play into how it affects it next year as well but I don't think cutting Stupar would hurt like with Costanzo who was the heart and sole or Colin Jones who was the 2nd best gunner next to Spillman. On that note though has anyone seen Brock play ST this year? I'm blanking on it but don't recall seeing him out there since he is starting. Bowman too... I know him and Goldson were on punt team last year but is Bowman out there this year. I should have seen I rewatched all the games just blanking right now.

Bowman has not been out on special teams this year.

The Mood is an extremely under rated player. He was taken lower because of his size, but he has always been a productive player. So happy to have his speed back on the field.
IMHO, I don't think Stupar gets cut, he is playing really well on Special Teams so far. Somebody else will get cut to make room for Moody but its not going to be Stupar. Might be Dixon or McBLT.
This is certainly a good problem to have.

I sure hope we learned from our past.

Many talk about the final play against Ravens but IMO - the kickoff return broke our backs.

ST has been outstanding so far.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
This is certainly a good problem to have.

I sure hope we learned from our past.

Many talk about the final play against Ravens but IMO - the kickoff return broke our backs.

ST has been outstanding so far.

The kickoff return that should have been called back.

Still bothered.
OKC49er

The kickoff return that should have been called back. Still bothered.

Should have been called back but wasn't and we still should have tackled him.
Share 49ersWebzone