LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 426 users in the forums

2013 - Week 7: Thoughts after rewatching the game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
ah. My bad.

But i also dont think no is quite the dominant team they are being made out to be. Other then playing them at home which we can do, who have they beat this year that makes them such a scary dominant team?

Not dominant, but certainly a challenge.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Pretty clear that Justin Smith is not having a great year.
If u have ur fullback spoilt out at wr 70% of plays u have a problem
Not dominant, but certainly a challenge.

I can agree with that and being at the superdome can complicate things, but we also may be back to the full defensive force that hurt them last year if your correct about aldon, not the challenge its being made out to be. i also think if harbaugh and roman start putting there brains together for the seattle and watch more of what there defense didnt do then what worked for other teams against them we can beat them as well. One thing that has been consistant against Seattle has been seattles defense leaving short routes wide open, i just hope im not the only one who has seen this.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Agree on most points. Still think aldon sits a game or two.
agree. if he misses the whole year i would not be shocked. some things are bigger than football

This is bigger than football...and THAT'S why I think he'll be back soon.

The last thing they want is to sit Aldon and give him a ton of free time. If he disengages with the team he is more likely to relapse into his old behavior.

If he's around the team and the coaches every day he has to be accountable and will have more focus. Having him skip the season doesn't do him any good. People keep saying that he should stay away...and do what exactly?

He needs to be around the team. He needs to be engaged.

When and what do you expect the NFL punishment to be? Based on the Alcohol and the guns?
Originally posted by AZ9er:
When and what do you expect the NFL punishment to be? Based on the Alcohol and the guns?

It will all depend on what the courts say and what charges are upheld.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran

I also just saw Marvin's take on this on the previous page.

Marvin, great post as usual. It is the first thing I look for Monday morning.

Can you expand on this Baalke comment you posted here. Are you saying Baalke should not have drafted LMJ and is a poor judge of talent?

Agreed. In my view many fans tend to over-value bench players (or those not in the line-up). Where is LMJ going to play? I believe Gore is the starter and Dixon is the situational goal line guy, so really LMJ has to beat out Hunter to crack the lineup and - in my view - he's not as good as Kendall. It says more about Baalke than it does LMJ.

Great job as usual Marvin49! We move on to this week hopefully a win then get rested for the 2nd half of the season while getting healthy as a team.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by kidash98:
Kap had a good game yesterday, IMO. Only issue I have is that he (looks like) still targets without going through his progression. Either that or I'm not seeing something different.

It is pretty clear Kaepernick HAS no progressions...by design. Most of the time it is Boldin, 2 TEs and Miller along with Gore. Davis is often split out and on occasion Williams is in. (We have discussed this simplified college offense at great length in other threads.) While other teams use multiple wide outs as receiving options, in HaRo's scheme, they are nothing more than downfield blockers for the one or two guys who are actually considered receiving possibilities. Hence, CK has either no progression, or only two options, and they are pretty quick to read.

So it is hard to tell if CK doesn't know how to go through progressions or just isn't given any, but the effect is the same. We won't know if he can be a good NFL passing QB against a good defense until/unless we put more receivers on the field at one time or Harbaugh goes to more of a pro-style passing game. For now, CK appears to be no better now than he has been at any time in the past. Not his fault necessarily. It is the design of the offense.

Saw him on a couple plays scan the field and hit a second target.

The Niners literally have only ONE WR that can separate from coverage and that's Boldin. VD gets his touches by moving him all over the formation, plus he's a mismatch nightmare. Kyle Williams sucks, Jon Baldwin has done jack all, Osgood is a special teamer, Marlon Moore isn't even good enough to be activated on gameday.... Seriously, if you were Greg Roman and were faced with a passing situation, what would you do? Flood the formation with a 4 WR look consisting of ONE guy that will get open? OR give your QB a few more options by releasing the fullback and runningbacks out to catch due to the fact they don't need to beat the press (which is the number 1 problem for our WR corps)? When we get guys that can actually play some goddamn Wide Receiver (Rio and Crab), you'll see us spread it out a bit more like we did vs. Chicago last year, like we did vs. the Bills last year, like we did vs. the Saints last year......

I also just saw Marvin's take on this on the previous page.

Marvin, great post as usual. It is the first thing I look for Monday morning.

Can you expand on this Baalke comment you posted here. Are you saying Baalke should not have drafted LMJ and is a poor judge of talent?

Agreed. In my view many fans tend to over-value bench players (or those not in the line-up). Where is LMJ going to play? I believe Gore is the starter and Dixon is the situational goal line guy, so really LMJ has to beat out Hunter to crack the lineup and - in my view - he's not as good as Kendall. It says more about Baalke than it does LMJ.

That quote actually wasn't me.

• SaksV
  • Veteran
My theory is that Trent Baalke drafted LMJ because he wasn't sure if Frank Gore was going to hold up as well as he's held up this past season.
LMJ is indeed "Insurance". If something happens to Frank at any point in the near future, I believe Dixon goes back to special teams/short yardage plays and we have Kendall to take over and LMJ to spell him and split touches. Lattimore was drafted as a "Plan C" in case Kendall wasn't able to bounce back from his injury. It's just smart drafting on the GM's part. LMJ is decent, just not as awesome as some suggest, and right now he's a victim of the numbers game. I am really hoping Mario Manningham can come back strong so that we can deactivate Kyle Williams and activate LMJ on gameday.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Agree on most points. Still think aldon sits a game or two.
agree. if he misses the whole year i would not be shocked. some things are bigger than football

This is bigger than football...and THAT'S why I think he'll be back soon.

The last thing they want is to sit Aldon and give him a ton of free time. If he disengages with the team he is more likely to relapse into his old behavior.

If he's around the team and the coaches every day he has to be accountable and will have more focus. Having him skip the season doesn't do him any good. People keep saying that he should stay away...and do what exactly?

He needs to be around the team. He needs to be engaged.

Too many variables.

Gun charges may get dropped altogether as part of agreement to testafy against shooters. It may get plead down to misdomeaner. They may get dropped as a part of the DUI plea. Too much there to say for sure.

If I HAD to bet, I'd guess first 4 games next year. That would take into account his action of going to rehab and already missing 4 games this year.
Originally posted by SaksV:
My theory is that Trent Baalke drafted LMJ because he wasn't sure if Frank Gore was going to hold up as well as he's held up this past season.
LMJ is indeed "Insurance". If something happens to Frank at any point in the near future, I believe Dixon goes back to special teams/short yardage plays and we have Kendall to take over and LMJ to spell him and split touches. Lattimore was drafted as a "Plan C" in case Kendall wasn't able to bounce back from his injury. It's just smart drafting on the GM's part. LMJ is decent, just not as awesome as some suggest, and right now he's a victim of the numbers game. I am really hoping Mario Manningham can come back strong so that we can deactivate Kyle Williams and activate LMJ on gameday.

I just think they were looking for a stable of RBs to eventually fill Franks role. I think they continued doing that THIS year with Lattimore.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SaksV:
The Niners literally have only ONE WR that can separate from coverage and that's Boldin. VD gets his touches by moving him all over the formation, plus he's a mismatch nightmare. Kyle Williams sucks, Jon Baldwin has done jack all, Osgood is a special teamer, Marlon Moore isn't even good enough to be activated on gameday.... Seriously, if you were Greg Roman and were faced with a passing situation, what would you do? Flood the formation with a 4 WR look consisting of ONE guy that will get open? OR give your QB a few more options by releasing the fullback and runningbacks out to catch due to the fact they don't need to beat the press (which is the number 1 problem for our WR corps)? When we get guys that can actually play some goddamn Wide Receiver (Rio and Crab), you'll see us spread it out a bit more like we did vs. Chicago last year, like we did vs. the Bills last year, like we did vs. the Saints last year......

I strongly disagree.

The problem is; Harbaugh/Roman's SCHEME does not ATTEMPT to get more than one WR free at a time. In fact, much of the time, Boldin is the only WR on the field. When there is another WR, or two, their JOB is to just draw cover so Boldin can get open, or be in position to block for him, or Davis, when they catch the ball.

Kyle Williams had no problem getting open for the "noodle-arm game manager" last season. While playing BEHIND Crabtree, Manningham and Moss, he caught 14 passes for an average of 15.2 yds/catch. A receiver that averages over 15 yards/catch obviously can get open fairly well.

Last season, Jon Baldwin playing in KC with some of the worst quarterbacking in recent NFL history, caught 20 passes for over 16 yds/catch. Again, Baldwin was even better with worse QB play than Williams.

So here we have a team with supposedly excellent QB play and a coaching staff that is reputed (by some) to be offensive geniuses, yet claim to be hard up for quality receivers, have two guys on the team that performed much better LAST SEASON with lesser quality QB play.

Don't take it personally but I don't see how anyone can honestly claim the 49ers do not have adequate WRs on the team. Most writers don't watch anything other than the ball most of the time so they have no idea how poorly Williams and Baldwin have been utilized. Hence this myth that because Crabtree and Manningham are injured, we have NO WRs of any value.

Once again, we see how Harbaugh's PREFERENCE for a power running game and a VERY limited passing game results in a misperception of the quality of receivers on the team. Williams and Baldwin COULD contribute but they are deliberately not being planned into the scheme.
Sorry, but some of the comments.... My God, what is wrong with you? After reading through six pages of response to Marv -- I've seen some real WHOPPERS. And, I'm beginning to wonder if smokeless crack really does exist and how many of you are taking advantage of it.

WHOPPER ONE: "It's pretty clear that Justin Smith is not having a great year."

Where did that come from? Were his two sacks yesterday not enough? You wanted three? Maybe four? Every game? Perhaps he should set the NFL sack record with fifty? WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?

WHOPPER TWO: "Kyle Williams is Captain Fair Catch."

This observation comes from? What? That he's no Devin Hester? OK, he's no Devin Hester. HINT! THERE'S ONLY ONE DEVIN HESTER! How do you know Harbaugh isn't telling Williams to fair catch these punts? Do you? Do you not? Do you think that if teams ASSUME that Williams is going to fair catch punts that perhaps he might be allowed loose at some point and surprise a few people? Sort of the way that Harbaugh magically pulled The Option out of the playbook yesterday and dusted it off? And you think Harbaugh should be showing us these bags of tricks NOW? In the regular season? WHEN WE DON'T NEED TO SHOW OTHER TEAMS? What is wrong with you?

WHOPPER THREE: LMJ is a "wasted draft pick."

No, really. You deserve that. Here's another:

This comes from? Where? Because he's not playing right now? When you've got Gore, Kendall Hunter and Anthony Dixon, WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH WHY WOULD YOU PLAY LMJ? We have the most dominating run trio next to Denver in all of NFL football. And just because Harbaugh isn't using LMJ yet, "he's a waste?" And this comes from? Where? Pulled from a keester? I would not be surprised.

Now -- ask yourself this: Where do small, shifty, speedy, change of pace running backs do best? Indoors perhaps? ON TURF MEBBE? Think we might face some teams like that down the road. LIKE NEW ORLEANS? Trust me people, Seattle relies WAAAYYYYY too much on its bellcow at RB. Marshawn's hip is already hurting so much that he's not practicing during the week. One good smack, and Lynch is down for the count. And then who do they rely upon? Word is the team is getting ready to resign Michael Robinson.

Just because you have four great running backs -- does not mean that you use all four. You save one. There's lots and lots and lots of season left. LMJ is going to get his chances.

Thanks again for your brilliant observations Marvin. But you do seem to draw a lot of -- umm -- well minded 49er fans.
Share 49ersWebzone