LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

2013 - Week 7: Thoughts after rewatching the game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by kidash98:
Kap had a good game yesterday, IMO. Only issue I have is that he (looks like) still targets without going through his progression. Either that or I'm not seeing something different.

It is pretty clear Kaepernick HAS no progressions...by design. Most of the time it is Boldin, 2 TEs and Miller along with Gore. Davis is often split out and on occasion Williams is in. (We have discussed this simplified college offense at great length in other threads.) While other teams use multiple wide outs as receiving options, in HaRo's scheme, they are nothing more than downfield blockers for the one or two guys who are actually considered receiving possibilities. Hence, CK has either no progression, or only two options, and they are pretty quick to read.

So it is hard to tell if CK doesn't know how to go through progressions or just isn't given any, but the effect is the same. We won't know if he can be a good NFL passing QB against a good defense until/unless we put more receivers on the field at one time or Harbaugh goes to more of a pro-style passing game. For now, CK appears to be no better now than he has been at any time in the past. Not his fault necessarily. It is the design of the offense.

Saw him on a couple plays scan the field and hit a second target.

I haven't had time to watch the game a second time (I will) but I don't recall him doing more than just looking at one side of the field. In the few sets where there were wide outs on opposite sides of the field, he only looked at one side.

All this is going to be very difficult to overcome when we go against Seattle again, or any other team with a good secondary that plays press coverage. For example, last night Indy played press against Manning and the Broncos and shut even them down. Manning is much better at going through progressions. IMO, Harbaugh, in dumbing it down for Kaepernick, has slowed his progress to being a quality QB that can play against top secondaries.

Yeah, those aren't "progression reads"...they are broken, ad-lib plays (meaning, the annointed WR was covered or CK didn't pull the trigger on time). dj43 is spot on and I will also rewatch the game and see how well HaRoMan schemed open receivers and which other ones were quick passes (one-read, under 3 seconds). Either way, all passess appear to be pre-determined. I'm willing to bet CK wasn't more "decisive" or "confident" this game but that the passing schemes worked better and the annointed receivers and his cast did a good job executing them. Talent-wise, we were far better then the Titans and this is the usual outcome.
wonder what kaeps foot issue is and if it it's been really affecting him. he seemed much more willing to run this game
One minor nitpick I had was not using that last timeout towards then end of the 1st half and force the Titans to punt from their 33...you don't even have to put anyone back to actually field the punt. You don't even have to go all-out for a block. But at least force the other team to get in punt formation, make a clean snap, and punt the ball.

And didn't like that, shocker, once Niners went up 24-0 early in the 3rd qtr that they went into clock-killing mode...FOUR STRAIGHT 3 & outs after that, and even the 5th possession was a punt after one first-down. This play-to-not-lose strategy almost came back to bite them in the a**, and if the Titans would've had a challenge left, they would have got the ball back after KW's fumble.

But to show I'm not all doom and gloom, credit to HaRo for obviously seeing something in the Titans D that made them dust off the read-option and run it effectively multiple times.
Marvin, I'll start getting angry with you: every week you write these nice posts but you don't give a nod to Frank. His blocking was again immense - the one he threw on Kap's TD run was a thing of beauty.

Originally posted by Marvin49:
This is bigger than football...and THAT'S why I think he'll be back soon.

The last thing they want is to sit Aldon and give him a ton of free time. If he disengages with the team he is more likely to relapse into his old behavior.

If he's around the team and the coaches every day he has to be accountable and will have more focus. Having him skip the season doesn't do him any good. People keep saying that he should stay away...and do what exactly?

He needs to be around the team. He needs to be engaged.

The question is, will there even be a choice to play?
Originally posted by YungAce:
the kaep regular season stat line is worthless..

and i lol'd at your boldin write up. nice read overall

If you say so. It remains nonetheless.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
When did atl without julio, roddy, or steven jackson become a tough game?

?

I was talking about Seattle and New Orleans.
Originally posted by paulk205:
Marvin, I'll start getting angry with you: every week you write these nice posts but you don't give a nod to Frank. His blocking was again immense - the one he threw on Kap's TD run was a thing of beauty.

LOL. I always end up leaving something out and peeps always get mad.

No worries. Frank was Frank.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

The last thing they want is to sit Aldon and give him a ton of free time. If he disengages with the team he is more likely to relapse into his old behavior.

If he's around the team and the coaches every day he has to be accountable and will have more focus. Having him skip the season doesn't do him any good. People keep saying that he should stay away...and do what exactly?

Yes.

The league won't do anything till the legal part has concluded.

Its possible (tho unlikely) that they won't suspend at all since the team and player already took action. If they do, it wouldn't be until next season.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Yes, the team let him play in the Colts game they will let him play when he gets back healthy. The league won't do anything until the courts are done with him and that will not be for a while.

I thought that the special teams played great yesterday they even put up a touchdown...CJ Spillman
?

I was referring to lasvegaswilly's post that said sea no and atl would be very tough games.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
?

I was referring to lasvegaswilly's post that said sea no and atl would be very tough games.

ah. My bad.
ah. My bad.

But i also dont think no is quite the dominant team they are being made out to be. Other then playing them at home which we can do, who have they beat this year that makes them such a scary dominant team?
Agree that V-Mac needs to become much more involved. Production from the 2nd TE has been a missing element this year. Disappointed at the lack of usage for LMJ .. I'm baffled by it really. Because it was on the road and we jumped ahead so early maybe more of the gameplan wasnt revealed but this passing offense STILL needs major improvement and we need to see that improvement during GAMES...We have the same advantage that a team like the Vikes have with the # of defenders in the box and Kap needs to take advantage for more frequently. I know our receivers arent the greatest but if I were them I could see myself becoming disinterested or losing focus. They are human. We gotta start throwing these guys a bone. Some easy completions, hitches, screens something to give these guys some kind of confidence and make them feel part of the offense. Who wants to run routes all game knowing there is 95% chance your not going to get the ball.

I also agree the pass rush looks weak but I don't mind blitzing more. I'm actually all for that. You can't be stubborn and rush 4 with no pressure so I like that Fangio is dialing it up a bit more. Gives the defense some variety and then you can zone blitz off of that and cause confusion or turnovers like the Jerrod-Eddie INT. Good to see Justin Smith get a few sacks. All in all no matter how this team wins I'm happy and worst case I hope we are no further than 1 game behind Seattle come December 8th.
Share 49ersWebzone