Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Epic epic drive and right at the right time. Props for Roman learning from the Colts loss. Stick with what works, your identity, until you are forced to adapt. The Cards, 5th against the rush had done a decent job of containing our run game up to that point. A thing of beauty.

The run game has also allowed us to to gash the defense with some deep passes. Maybe Roman should be the running backs coach who strictly designs the run plays and see what Rathman has in his notebook for pass plays as an OC.

I kinda hope Roman bolts for USC, and Rathman gets the OC job. But wonder if he is content with the RB Coach job.

Sup with the Rathman hype?

I wanna see some FB and HB circle routes and some LMJ in the seam from the backfield after Vernon clears out. That was a Walsh offense. Rathman could bring that back. Want to see slants and when the defense shift, then screw with their heads with the slant being the clear-out and then throw to the annoying TE that always gets the play when everything is covered.

Right now, our passing game has very little creativity.

I see what you mean. Just find it shocking that Rathman is all of a sudden a candidate...I'm just skeptical of handing the RB's coach the keys to the offense when we don't even know if he can handle it all.

He's been a position coach for some time now. Isn't the next level to be the coordinator of that side?

Maybe he's like Tomsula. I don't know that either of those guys would want to make that jump.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Epic epic drive and right at the right time. Props for Roman learning from the Colts loss. Stick with what works, your identity, until you are forced to adapt. The Cards, 5th against the rush had done a decent job of containing our run game up to that point. A thing of beauty.

The run game has also allowed us to to gash the defense with some deep passes. Maybe Roman should be the running backs coach who strictly designs the run plays and see what Rathman has in his notebook for pass plays as an OC.

I kinda hope Roman bolts for USC, and Rathman gets the OC job. But wonder if he is content with the RB Coach job.

Sup with the Rathman hype?

I wanna see some FB and HB circle routes and some LMJ in the seam from the backfield after Vernon clears out. That was a Walsh offense. Rathman could bring that back. Want to see slants and when the defense shift, then screw with their heads with the slant being the clear-out and then throw to the annoying TE that always gets the play when everything is covered.

I see what you mean. Just find it shocking that Rathman is all of a sudden a candidate...I'm just skeptical of handing the RB's coach the keys to the offense when we don't even know if he can handle it all.

He's been a position coach for some time now. Isn't the next level to be the coordinator of that side?

I believe you have to be a QB's coach for like 3 yrs at least.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
kind of shocked some people are not b***hing that it was boring
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
that was a noice drive. we need to have several of those every game to be a legit contender.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
That drive gave me back the faith that was slowly dwindling in the 3rd quarter.

That drive could have saved our playoff chances, down the road.
If the game stays close the 49ers can pound in the 4th quarter. It was great to watch.
Best drive of the season for sure

Lol, great words man.

Crabtree changes everything of course.

But still, in the real 49er offense of lore he would have occupied Dwight Clark's spot eventually.

The slants had a limit with Solomon and Clark. And other receivers for years to come.

NO ONE will ever run a slant like Rice.

Since we don't have him now, maybe the staff realizes we have to do things different?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
If the game stays close the 49ers can pound in the 4th quarter. It was great to watch.
should not surprise us we could do this,, after all we had the best rushing attack and run blocking line in the nfl last year and no one went anywhere over the off season. its just some people decided to run away from this approach for whatever reason. we have always known that the niners were not the team you wanted to get behind by two scores in the fourth quarter due to our ability to run the ball and control the clock,., we just got lost somewhere along the way. hope the powers to be learned something... you know the word roman just wants to leap off my keyboard but i will restrain my self
  • buck
  • Veteran
The drive. Patrick Willis forces a fumble. Eric recovers the fumble San Francisco 49ers start the drive with 01:07 left in the third on the SF eleven yard line.

The drive goes 18 plays, covers 89 yards, takes 9 minutes and 32 seconds, and results in a Kendal Hunter touchdown.

Twelve of the 18 plays were running plays. Kaepernick goes four of six for 36 yards on the drive.

This drive could end up being something to remember.

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174776-san-francisco-49ers-arizona-cardinals-gameday-thread-week/page262/#EGJZp811QOgTE9xK.99

I posted the above in the game day thread, but it fits here also.

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Seven times the niners lined up in off set I formation, motioned Mcdonald across to the right, 5 times Frank roared through the line for a gain on a back breaking drive, once Miller took it and once Diixie took a turn, but Frank did what Frank does, he owned it, everyone in the stadium knew he was going, and nothing would stop him, it was electric. When this team needed to ice the game, run the clock and put a dagger in Cards, Frank was the man.

I have never seen a drive like that in my life, the same play, the same formation over and over, in youth football we have a saying, "run it until they stop it" The Cards could never in a million years stop that play, they only thing that slowed it was Frank needing a breather. If you did not get geeked out by that play, you may not really understand the game of football, that was epic, and memorable, on a once in a lifetime scale, Amazing!

I had me thinking of Super Bowl 17 with the Redskins running John Riggins, except without the big 43 yard gain. Running it down there throats doesn't fully describe what they did. One of the best drives I've ever seen.
The NFL loves the 52-48 games with quick scores and more commercials. Are we reaching the point where smash mouth football and great D will become a channel changer?
EPIC
Shoulda done this during the colts game, woulda easily won...
Do it in a Superbowl run.

Then we will talk.
Share 49ersWebzone