There are 259 users in the forums

Who is the #1 true Captain of this team. (Players)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who is the #1 true Captain of this team. (Players)

• Ether
  • Veteran
It's definitely Gore if you define leadership as someone that everybody else looks up to. Leads by example, doesn't complain at all about splitting carries (he's only been getting 15-16 carries a game for the past few years) and only wants to win... anyone else remember him crying 4-5 years back because we had lost a bunch of games in a row?

Also, it's pretty obvious that Harbaugh respects him enough to listen to him when he does talk. It's not a coincidence that the moment Gore voiced his frustration with our divergence from our power running game, Harbaugh immediately went back to it the following week.
Gore most definetley, remember him talking about bringing the team together for a players only meeting, and after that meeting we crush the Ram with the game plan that is actually respectable (ground and pound smash mouth 49ers football). Dont think for a second that Gore was not the brains and the voice to going back to our old ways of winning on the offense.
Originally posted by Ether:
It's definitely Gore if you define leadership as someone that everybody else looks up to. Leads by example, doesn't complain at all about splitting carries (he's only been getting 15-16 carries a game for the past few years) and only wants to win... anyone else remember him crying 4-5 years back because we had lost a bunch of games in a row?

Also, it's pretty obvious that Harbaugh respects him enough to listen to him when he does talk. It's not a coincidence that the moment Gore voiced his frustration with our divergence from our power running game, Harbaugh immediately went back to it the following week.

If my memory serves me right, he left the locker room and there were some guys in the parking lot joking and having a good time (it was speculated Lloyd was among the group) after a tough loss. He could not believe that other players could be like that after a loss and it hurt him deeply because he cared so much for his team. It brought him to tears.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
If my memory serves me right, he left the locker room and there were some guys in the parking lot joking and having a good time (it was speculated Lloyd was among the group) after a tough loss. He could not believe that other players could be like that after a loss and it hurt him deeply because he cared so much for his team. It brought him to tears.

If my memory serves me correctly hes been known to cry after a few losses at his locker as well.
  • buck
  • Veteran
What exactly is a #1 true Captain?

I am going to guess that the players on the team do have a clue.

In September, the team selected its team captains.
The players elected Colin Kaepernick and re-elected Patrick Willis. They join Justin Smith who is an incumbent team captain.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-Select-Team-Captains/cb6a2602-450d-43f1-826b-f6619b368b97

http://whttp://www.ninersnation.com/2013/9/6/4703048/jim-harbaugh-talks-read-option-defense-concerns-team-captains-backupww.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_24025109/49ers-players-elect-colin-kaepernick-one-their-team
Originally posted by buck:
What exactly is a #1 true Captain?

I am going to guess that the players on the team do have a clue.

In September, the team selected its team captains.
The players elected Colin Kaepernick and re-elected Patrick Willis. They join Justin Smith who is an incumbent team captain.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-Select-Team-Captains/cb6a2602-450d-43f1-826b-f6619b368b97

http://whttp://www.ninersnation.com/2013/9/6/4703048/jim-harbaugh-talks-read-option-defense-concerns-team-captains-backupww.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_24025109/49ers-players-elect-colin-kaepernick-one-their-team

Maybe captain is the wrong word for this thread, behind the scenes leader may be more fitting, I love Kap I think hes gunna be great but Gore really runs away with it, his dedication to the team is unmatched, and you can tell when he talks his team mates shut up and listen.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Maybe captain is the wrong word for this thread, behind the scenes leader may be more fitting, I love Kap I think hes gunna be great but Gore really runs away with it, his dedication to the team is unmatched, and you can tell when he talks his team mates shut up and listen.

The players on the team did elect three captains. That seemed like information that bears directly on the question asked.

In my rather simplistic mind, a captain elected by the players is a true captain.
The players on the team did elect three captains. That seemed like information that bears directly on the question asked.

In my rather simplistic mind, a captain elected by the players is a true captain.

your a stubborn one aren't you buck? You know what I'm talking about.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
your a stubborn one aren't you buck? You know what I'm talking about.

I did know that you started the thread. I posted my reaction to the thread, not to your comments.

Yeah. I am stubborn.

I did know that you started the thread. I posted my reaction to the thread, not to your comments.

Yeah. I am stubborn.

Then I apologize, and fully admit...... I am an a*****e.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
It's gotta be Patrick! Don't you ever watch the pregame shows when Patrick is pumping everyone up? You NEVER see Gore doing that. I realize you say Captain but isn't a Captain the same as a leader? Gore is very well respected on the team but Patrick is the one everyone listens to; thus, he is the true #1 Captain/Leader!
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

This

49er Seniority, consistency, selflessness, on-field production. What else do you need?

its VD. hes the voice of this team and hes taken on the leadership role big time since his ejection by singletary. he always says the right thing, fires up his guys and works hard and leads by example. class act. the top three you mentioned are all great tho. willis and gore are definitely leaders but if i were to pick one its Vernon i think
Originally posted by Chico:
It's gotta be Patrick! Don't you ever watch the pregame shows when Patrick is pumping everyone up? You NEVER see Gore doing that. I realize you say Captain but isn't a Captain the same as a leader? Gore is very well respected on the team but Patrick is the one everyone listens to; thus, he is the true #1 Captain/Leader!

I love Patrick but TBH those are some of the most mediocre performances i have ever seen a defensive player give to pump up the team. I love Pat, and appreciate him trying to fill that role, but its just not him. Hes not that type of guy. He fills it because he is our franchise MLB and future hall of famer, but its not him.

I can guarantee you though, that when Gore speaks, even Pat listens. Kap was given the offensive captain role by default, all the players wanted him to feel like it was his team, and rightfully so, but make no mistake about it, this is Gores offense, and it has been since 2005.
Share 49ersWebzone