LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 375 users in the forums

Thursday Game Plan: 5 Keys to Beating the Rams

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I am kind of worried about Jarred Cook. I think he is a matchup problem over our LB's covering him and Whitner.
It's almost like GRO sees Kaps intelligence and ability and just threw everything at him expecting him to run every play perfectly. I have no doubt over time that this will eventually happen, but the offense right now is schizophrenic going from heavy sets to spread on a play by play basis and its causing Kap to be a deer in the headlights at times.

In the colts game there were so many freakin times Gore was right in front of Kap at the 1st down marker with no one covering him and Kap never even saw it. It's like GRO is emphasizing the power of Kaps arm and ignoring the easy checkdowns. How none of the coaches grabbed Kap and said 'hey the check down is wide open' I cant understand.
If we want a recipe for a disaster and a LOSS, here are the ingredients:

1. Commit costly penalties
Virtually every defensive penalty is an automatic first down. This adds up. This cannot continue.

2. Abandon the run
We cannot pass to set up the run. It must be the other way around. We have power personnel, not field-stretching speed.

3. Tell Kaepernick to keep doing what he's been doing
CK needs to learn to stay in the pocket sometimes. I can't remember the last time I saw him take a hit to make a play or throw. He must hang in the pocket and quickly COMPLETE his progressions. Running laterally not only cuts your options down at WR, it exhausts the OL trying to protect you running all over the place all game.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

CK needs to learn to stay in the pocket sometimes. I can't remember the last time I saw him take a hit to make a play or throw. He must hang in the pocket and quickly COMPLETE his progressions. Running laterally not only cuts your options down at WR, it exhausts the OL trying to protect you running all over the place all game.

There were multiple times in the IND game where Kap scrambled for absolutely no reason.

One play in particular (1st quarter), the entire right side of the OL had their blocks pancaked on the ground. The left side had three OL blocking 2 DL. A nice pocket to throw from:

Kap's internal clock tells him to scramble. OL don't have eyes in the back of their heads and now Kap has generated pressure on himself.

One split second later, had he stayed in the pocket, he would have had Vance on a short post. Instead, Kap is scrambling and his body is not in a position to throw. This ends up being a run for -1 yards:
[ Edited by thl408 on Sep 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
We'll run the ball for 1-2 series in the first quarter and then it's Air Roman the rest of the way.

The Rams played us expertly both times last year.
If we don't get the running game FINALLY rolling this game tonight, we lose. Period.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

There were multiple times in the IND game where Kap scrambled for absolutely no reason.

One play in particular (1st quarter), the entire right side of the OL had their blocks pancaked on the ground. The left side had three OL blocking 2 DL. A nice pocket to throw from:

Kap's internal clock tells him to scramble. OL don't have eyes in the back of their heads and now Kap has generated pressure on himself.

One split second later, had he stayed in the pocket, he would have had Vance on a short post. Instead, Kap is scrambling and his body is not in a position to throw. This ends up being a run for -1 yards:

This is one of the most infuriating things we've seen the past two games. Outside of a willful disregard for the outlet passes, CK completely disobeys QB 101 and scrambles away abandoning the pocket made for him with no pressure at all. I felt like numerous throws, even when he spun around and tried to fire a pass, were coming with him throwing either flat-footed, on his toes, or completely off balance. None accurate.

The Colts played one safety deep all game which left one on one coverage to take shots all game and it never happened. One deep safety cannot cover the entire field sideline to sideline, especially not with a rocket-shooter like CK. Even if he doesn't want to loft it, he could look off the safety to one direction and then fire it to the WR deep on the other side. All game, extremely disappointingly, this never happened.
Originally posted by cciowa:
6 .put roman in the shuttle at the arch, send him up to the top and leave him there till the game is over. if we win, then just leave town without him

LOL. If he draws up another bland game plan it's gonna be a long day.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Roman is clearly Jimmy Raye's albino nephew.
He also needs to stop running out of bounds behind the LOS when he does run.

Originally posted by kray28:

He has dark hair doe.

Oh, the overreactions after a 1-2 start.
  • Veteran
All we need to do is take what the defense is giving us. Keep it simple to alleviate some stress from Kaep & our passing offense in general. And, ADJUST!

Then again, at least 2 out of these 3 things are almost guaranteed to not happen, so I think we're screwed. This coaching staff has lost a lot of credibility with me, and I hope they're truly just in a funk of sorts.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by real9erfan:

Oh, the failure to detect sarcasm regardless of W-L record.
Originally posted by real9erfan:

Oh, the failure to detect sarcasm regardless of W-L record.

My bad.
Share 49ersWebzone