LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Thursday Game Plan: 5 Keys to Beating the Rams

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Watched first half of the Rams-Cowboy game, Boys ran to the left early and their were huge holes. Rams have small ball carriers, Richardson and Cunningham, no power running game. The throws are underneath and the receivers are small. Just don't let Fisher hang around and we then end up beating ourselves.

and watch out for fake punts, they tried another one vs dallas last sunday
how to win:

Run the ball.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by cciowa:
6 .put roman in the shuttle at the arch, send him up to the top and leave him there till the game is over. if we win, then just leave town without him

activate james and let him return kickoffs, could not be any worse than last sundays fiasco with hunter back there.
^

i wonder if hunter was put in as a knee jerk reaction to cox fumbling at the end of the seahawk game....
Spot on post.

Let the game begin.

Back to Basics is an old cliché BUT it would help us out while we're in this funk.
NO team can win games with the type of mediocre defense the niners have right now... we are not stopping anyone.... AND I MEAN ANYONE... from putting up points on us... Shore up that defense VIC FANGIO DAMN IT.
Originally posted by RYPTOUT:
NO team can win games with the type of mediocre defense the niners have right now... we are not stopping anyone.... AND I MEAN ANYONE... from putting up points on us... Shore up that defense VIC FANGIO DAMN IT.

We had allowed only 13 points late in the 4th quarter of the Colts game. And only 12 points in the Seattle game until CK folded even further and handed them the ball in our territory multiple times. What do you expect them to do? Our defense is playing their freaking butts off to keep us in games right now, despite being put in horrible position.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

1. Make running the ball a top priority
The Rams gave up almost 100 yards in a single half to DeMarco Murray, who finished with 175 yards. We have two outstanding runners, and one in particular who has great outside quickness and speed. Feed them the ball early and often to gash and wear down their prone-to-over-pursue defensive ends and average interior.

4. Stress that Kaepernick protect the ball and get any sort of positive play possible
It is imperative that we not turn the ball over and do not take negative plays. Thursday games are often ugly, and we need to establish time of possession, control the ball, and maintain the best field position possible. He MUST understand that every game cannot be played and/or won in a shootout fashion. Jim must stress to Colin to be DECISIVE and either release the ball to his final read in the flat/outlet if the other options are not there OR run FORWARD for positive yards instead of laterally, because running side to side only serves to eliminate almost all his options on field and is often a dangerous play and a potential turnover or injury if the defense is chasing you from behind.

These. Run the ball, get some quick passes and screens to get Kap into a rhythm EARLY, and keep the damn defense energized by controlling the clock offensively.
  • thl408
With the recent injuries/leave of absence to several key defensive players (Willis, Aldon, Nnamdi), plus a short week, it's more important than ever to control the time of possession. I will gladly take a gradual drive that eats up clock over a drive that has multiple explosive plays. These Thursday night games are a different animal imo.
It's a short week, which is both good and bad for the 49ers. Good that we have the opportunity to get a bad taste out of our mouth, but bad in the sense that it's less time for certain players to return from injury, and less prep time. But that's no excuse, because the other team has it the same way. Right now, this is what I see as the way to beat St. Louis, looking at the way they've played in the first few weeks...

1. Make running the ball a top priority
The Rams gave up almost 100 yards in a single half to DeMarco Murray, who finished with 175 yards. We have two outstanding runners, and one in particular who has great outside quickness and speed. Feed them the ball early and often to gash and wear down their prone-to-over-pursue defensive ends and average interior.

2. Attack their young safeties
TJ McDonald is a rookie, and Rodney McLeod is in his 2nd year -- his first time ever as a starter. Tight ends in particular have been a problem for the defense - both Dallas TEs had plays on STL last week. Their CBs are quick, fast, and physical. Star WRs did do well against them (Fitz and Julio), but we don't have anyone quite like that. Our best bet is to utilize the TEs on the seams, and try to work size mismatches against their short, but quick, strong corners. Baldwin may not play, but this really, really would be a good time to use him now.

3. Attack the right OT side of their line on defense
Aldon Smith is out, but their starting RT Saffold is likely out as well. That's Brooks' side, so we need to work stunts and crash that side to work his replacement who did not fare well last week against Dallas.

4. Stress that Kaepernick protect the ball and get any sort of positive play possible
It is imperative that we not turn the ball over and do not take negative plays. Thursday games are often ugly, and we need to establish time of possession, control the ball, and maintain the best field position possible. He MUST understand that every game cannot be played and/or won in a shootout fashion. Jim must stress to Colin to be DECISIVE and either release the ball to his final read in the flat/outlet if the other options are not there OR run FORWARD for positive yards instead of laterally, because running side to side only serves to eliminate almost all his options on field and is often a dangerous play and a potential turnover or injury if the defense is chasing you from behind.

5. Zone blitz often

Bradford struggles severely at times when pressured and hit often. I saw him rolling around in agony against Dallas a couple times at least on Sunday. It affects his effectiveness, and we need to do our best to disrupt him.

You could have stopped there. But absolutely right.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Awesome post OTC, agreed with everything.

I swear I'm gonna throw my 19 inch TV out the window if they don't make the running game a priority. But as you mention on how the Rams secondary is young and struggling, I fear Roman will once again abandon the run game.

What I'd like to see, is a heavy dose of running, then a lot of play-action to the Tight-ends on short to medium routes. If Kaepernick can relax on trying to go deep every time and run the offense balanced, then I think this offense can get back into their old ways. I think its about getting comfortable again with this offense, cause the past two games they looked really uncomfortable.

I just hope they don't do it in bunches and then the box score shows a balanced offense. We have gotten into that habit lately: run the ball 6 of 8 plays in one drive, 5 straight plays in the next drive, and then pass 12 straight plays. Box score looks good, but the eye test shows otherwise.

Defense has to force three or four turnovers. That's really the only way I see our offense scoring more than ten points against that defense.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Could you elaborate?
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Could you elaborate?

I'm not making that face in regards to what you wrote, what you wrote is fine. I've been preaching the same thing... I'm just worried Roman is going to continue with his stupidness and make it hard for Kap and the offense...
All good points, Bullet #4 is something I've stressed since the Seattle game. Not every play has to be a homerun -- take what is there. And LOL below:

6 .put roman in the shuttle at the arch, send him up to the top and leave him there till the game is over. if we win, then just leave town without him
Share 49ersWebzone