LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

The Solutions Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Seattle fans are gloating, with their heads a bloating, but soon they will be toting...their bag of punk of bs right out of the playoffs as the Niners go ahead again.

Cuz Harbaugh is noting, and coordinators are floating, changes in the wind.

The talent is there, so don't lose your hair.

Niners again will be their worst nightmare.
This team really misses Randy Moss. Not that he caught a lot of balls or not but the threat of the deep pass & respect was always there. I know obviously Crabs is our best weapon but Moss would preoccupy 2 DBs regardless of his age and actually being thrown too.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Agreed, use "scheme" to help get these guys open. Roman has been running one or two WR's out in straight-line routes and simple curl routes making it incredibly easy for defenders to defend esp. when there is ZERO threat of one single deep ball (unless we are way behind). I wish people would go back to the first Rams game last year to see how Fischer used Danny Amendola (with one collar bone at the time). He was, basically, their ONLY weapon and we could not stop him. He moved him around all day long to create mismatches immediately off the LOS. The Vikings used to employ a similar set with Harvin, even lining him up in the backfield. Hey, even in our own history, we did similar things to get Rice the ball early and often. I challenge each and very fan in here to go to whomeam's video page and just watch the types of routes we run and ask yourself if these guys even have a chance to get open: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/174093-seattle-game-uploaded/

Then come back here with your own solutions!
My ramblings for repairing the season...
Are we sure that our offensive play calling isn't the result of Eric Mangini's critiquing and subsequently altering Romans game plan? After all he was brought in to help the offense from a defensive view and since he has been here, the offense has sucked.Coincidence? Did his offenses look this way when he was a head coach? If so, then he is the problem!
As for the defense? Our corners suck and Justin Smith is a year older. It has to be the d line that gets corrected. How many times have we heard Bowman and Willis' names called? The o linemen are all over them. Sopoaga wasn't a great player but he tied up two guys every play. Too many missing pieces from last year.
NO way to fix that in a hurry.
Special teams? Sorry KW but you aren't a dynamic or creative returner. Fair catches are nice but not very productive.
Play all the players and see who performs and provides a spark. ( James, Patton, Moore, J Baldwin)If you don't think they are worthy of playing time, then cut them and get some you do have trust in
Do we really need a backup FB over Hawkins who has displayed an ability to make plays when he touches the ball?
bill walsh didnt have great receivers at first with niners, but by scheme got production from guys like mike schumann---roman has to do the same
  • dj43
Originally posted by hofer36:
bill walsh didnt have great receivers at first with niners, but by scheme got production from guys like mike schumann---roman has to do the same

First Super Bowl was with Freddie Solomon and Dwight Clark (neither made the Pro Bowl IIRC) as WRs and Earl Cooper (caught a TD pass in the Super Bowl) at TE. Of course they had that awesome power runner Lenvil Elliot at tailback. That had to make up for a lot.
Originally posted by Karma:
NCommand: You are one of my favorite posters. You express yourself well and you aren't prone to hyperbole. So many fans, here and everywhere, take the good times as a sign of dynastic certitude and the bad times as apocalyptic foreboding. Both viewpoints are myopic at best. The last two weeks have been awful, but I'm not that concerned. We certainly have plenty to be concerned about, but I am taking solace in a few ideas: 1. We are still talent, and with talent comes hope. 2. Adversity makes victory much sweeter. 3. We are not the Browns or the Jaguars.

With that in mind, I will give this a shot. I love the idea of this thread:

Issue: Kaepernick's accuracy/confidence

Solution: Screens, Bubble screens, Comeback routes, etc. (Short, easy passes)

Rationale: Ever since the weather in Seattle subsided, Kaepernick has looked like a QB with little touch and even less confidence. He looks uncomfortable in the pocket and every throw he makes looks like he is trying to break someone's finger. These are all signs that he needs a game plan designed to establish a rhythm. Not only that, but St. Louis' defensive weakness is the speed of their linebackers and the current offensive personnel is best suited for short passes with room to run. Let's go back to basics and have Kaep throwing TO receivers rather than trying to throw them open. I am of the opinion that Kaep needs to work on his touch passes. I love that he has a downfield mentality, but he needs to use every throw to be effective.

Issue: Defensive penalties and injuries

Solution: Simplify defensive assignments

Rationale: With Willis out, Aldon in rehab, Nnamdi hurt, and a defensive line rotation, we are going to see plenty of new faces on defense. Luckily, the team we are facing has a pretty "old-fashioned" offense. They are going to look to get Austin into space and Givens deep. They have big play potential, but they certainly aren't Green Bay. The key will be basic assignment football. Put Wilhoite, Brock, Skuta, Lemonier, and the other relatively new faces in a position to be successful and supported. Plenty of zone coverage, one gap assignments, and simple blitz packages. I want Lemonier to have a chance to beat his man one on one without worrying about three other reads.

LMAO!!! Great choice of words and you are on point regarding the extremes!

But as the "passion" settles down, I'm seeing more and more great solutions to long list of identified problems in here and I very much appreciate that. It will be fun (I hope) to see what our coaches ACTUALLY do tomorrow night. At that point, we can swing one way or another b/c clearly, at this junction, there aren't any secrets to our issues, are there? The work has been cut out for us...

Love, love, LOVE the first issue you identified...I literally just posted on this issue in another thread but you nailed the solution part as well. As I watched the first drive by Indy, to me, it seemed like their plays were scripted and practiced to perfection. The array of plays were designed to set up a nice rhythm for Luck, his OL, the RB's and a couple WR's and Fleener. It worked to perfection...nothing elaborate. But they used scheme to create some easy mismatches on our defense and for the most part, got the ball out quickly and in rhythm. What you have identified is just that. Getting CK into a quick rhythm and build upon his confidence. Get key players involved like VD, Gore, Hunter, McDonald, Boldin, etc. Stop with the package offense. Keep the same personnel out there and lets start hot like Indy. Script the first 20 plays. Practice to perfection. Run some WCO or Stanford plays. Get moving in a positive direction. Allow the OL to maul the DL. Establish a tempo and nastiness.

As to your defensive solution, I noted a possible solution (a little more elaborate though) in this thread myself, post #51. Let me know what you think. I don't know if this defense could be any more vanilla esp. with the injuries. I'm not sure if this would be the best alignment for the Rams (better against a power running team like Seattle or Indy).
I reread your post #51 in this thread, NC, and like your rationale for changing up the D.

But here I want to address the passing game. Seems to me that at least part of the problem is the QB has lost confidence in the passing game and abandons it to try to scramble too often. There needs to be a game plan with a lot of short, easy passes to start off with to build his confidence (and move the chains).

Lots of slants and screens and crossing patterns and bunch formations for the WRs,

lots of crossing patterns for the TEs and Miller (take advantage of those LBs),

and lots of handoffs to Gore out of the I formation, which will set up lots of play action.

And use Miller as a safety valve in the flat.

Hmmm. Sounds kinda like that WCO stuff.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Karma:
NCommand: You are one of my favorite posters. You express yourself well and you aren't prone to hyperbole. So many fans, here and everywhere, take the good times as a sign of dynastic certitude and the bad times as apocalyptic foreboding. Both viewpoints are myopic at best. The last two weeks have been awful, but I'm not that concerned. We certainly have plenty to be concerned about, but I am taking solace in a few ideas: 1. We are still talent, and with talent comes hope. 2. Adversity makes victory much sweeter. 3. We are not the Browns or the Jaguars.

With that in mind, I will give this a shot. I love the idea of this thread:

Issue: Kaepernick's accuracy/confidence

Solution: Screens, Bubble screens, Comeback routes, etc. (Short, easy passes)

Rationale: Ever since the weather in Seattle subsided, Kaepernick has looked like a QB with little touch and even less confidence. He looks uncomfortable in the pocket and every throw he makes looks like he is trying to break someone's finger. These are all signs that he needs a game plan designed to establish a rhythm. Not only that, but St. Louis' defensive weakness is the speed of their linebackers and the current offensive personnel is best suited for short passes with room to run. Let's go back to basics and have Kaep throwing TO receivers rather than trying to throw them open. I am of the opinion that Kaep needs to work on his touch passes. I love that he has a downfield mentality, but he needs to use every throw to be effective.

Issue: Defensive penalties and injuries

Solution: Simplify defensive assignments

Rationale: With Willis out, Aldon in rehab, Nnamdi hurt, and a defensive line rotation, we are going to see plenty of new faces on defense. Luckily, the team we are facing has a pretty "old-fashioned" offense. They are going to look to get Austin into space and Givens deep. They have big play potential, but they certainly aren't Green Bay. The key will be basic assignment football. Put Wilhoite, Brock, Skuta, Lemonier, and the other relatively new faces in a position to be successful and supported. Plenty of zone coverage, one gap assignments, and simple blitz packages. I want Lemonier to have a chance to beat his man one on one without worrying about three other reads.

LMAO!!! Great choice of words and you are on point regarding the extremes!

But as the "passion" settles down, I'm seeing more and more great solutions to long list of identified problems in here and I very much appreciate that. It will be fun (I hope) to see what our coaches ACTUALLY do tomorrow night. At that point, we can swing one way or another b/c clearly, at this junction, there aren't any secrets to our issues, are there? The work has been cut out for us...

Love, love, LOVE the first issue you identified...I literally just posted on this issue in another thread but you nailed the solution part as well. As I watched the first drive by Indy, to me, it seemed like their plays were scripted and practiced to perfection. The array of plays were designed to set up a nice rhythm for Luck, his OL, the RB's and a couple WR's and Fleener. It worked to perfection...nothing elaborate. But they used scheme to create some easy mismatches on our defense and for the most part, got the ball out quickly and in rhythm. What you have identified is just that. Getting CK into a quick rhythm and build upon his confidence. Get key players involved like VD, Gore, Hunter, McDonald, Boldin, etc. Stop with the package offense. Keep the same personnel out there and lets start hot like Indy. Script the first 20 plays. Practice to perfection. Run some WCO or Stanford plays. Get moving in a positive direction. Allow the OL to maul the DL. Establish a tempo and nastiness.

As to your defensive solution, I noted a possible solution (a little more elaborate though) in this thread myself, post #51. Let me know what you think. I don't know if this defense could be any more vanilla esp. with the injuries. I'm not sure if this would be the best alignment for the Rams (better against a power running team like Seattle or Indy).
I reread your post #51 in this thread, NC, and like your rationale for changing up the D.

But here I want to address the passing game. Seems to me that at least part of the problem is the QB has lost confidence in the passing game and abandons it to try to scramble too often. There needs to be a game plan with a lot of short, easy passes to start off with to build his confidence (and move the chains).

Lots of slants and screens and crossing patterns and bunch formations for the WRs,

lots of crossing patterns for the TEs and Miller (take advantage of those LBs),

and lots of handoffs to Gore out of the I formation, which will set up lots of play action.

And use Miller as a safety valve in the flat.

Hmmm. Sounds kinda like that WCO stuff.

Thanks OND for the read and "solution." We are only hours away from finding out how the braintrust responds to this adversity. Yes, is there any question a real WCO needs to be the foundation with this offense. We can still take advantage of CK as a tremendous athlete as well (we did with Steve Young as well) but CK needs to be trained as a QB first.
Thanks OND for the read and "solution." We are only hours away from finding out how the braintrust responds to this adversity. Yes, is there any question a real WCO needs to be the foundation with this offense. We can still take advantage of CK as a tremendous athlete as well (we did with Steve Young as well) but CK needs to be trained as a QB first.
Yeah, I can't wait to see it.

BTW, what do you think of my "theory" about more quick slants. One step drop for CK and a quick slant to Boldin lined up to his right. If the CB is playing aggressive, press coverage and trying to manhandle Boldin w/in the first 5 yards, and CK throws the ball to him, its either a catch or PI! What better way to take advantage of the over aggressiveness of the CB? The CB will have to back off, or face more PI calls.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Yeah, I can't wait to see it.

BTW, what do you think of my "theory" about more quick slants. One step drop for CK and a quick slant to Boldin lined up to his right. If the CB is playing aggressive, press coverage and trying to manhandle Boldin w/in the first 5 yards, and CK throws the ball to him, its either a catch or PI! What better way to take advantage of the over aggressiveness of the CB? The CB will have to back off, or face more PI calls.

Are you kidding me? I'd kill for ANY WCO plays at this point. Crossing routes, post patterns, slants, flare out, etc. Anything!!!!!
Here is the solution, go back to these offenses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr18hOgImlY

Alright fans...we're about to find out what we're made of. Let's hope the coaching staff takes SOME of these great suggestions and they work to perfection. Go Niners!!!
the coaches listened. james and baldwin are active. lets get this win!!!
Alright fans...we're about to find out what we're made of. Let's hope the coaching staff takes SOME of these great suggestions and they work to perfection. Go Niners!!!

It would be so awesome if we see some of the things discussed here take place and actually work. I swear we should apply for OC openings if this happens.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:

Thats the problem, Harbaugh is no Bill Walsh.
All in all, I'm extremely happy with the response of this group. There seemed to be a concerted effort to give kaep some easy throws. This is the closest we've looked to 2011 since kaep took over. Amazing how the defense looked with a little rest. If you wouldn't have told me that aldon was out, I wouldn't have known it. The pressure was constant all game long and lemonier looks like an absolute steal.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 26, 2013 at 8:29 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone