There are 133 users in the forums

The Solutions Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alright armchair-GM's/Coaches...let's unite. Every day we get better or we're getting worse. So, starting now, it's safe to say our work has been cut out for us. We have identified a LONG grocery-list of all the issues from the top down. So, let's switch the tide now and identify what may be the solutions. This isn't a thread for generic solutions such as "we just need to run the ball more." No, this is a thread for 1) identifying a solution 2) how do you implement it and 3) Rationale

I'll start... Issue > Solution > How/Rationale:

Aldon Smith is gone for at least a month > my solution is to move Ahmad Brooks over to the WILL spot > this is a simple move esp. for Brooks and takes no additional work/training; it's seamless > my rationale for him moving is b/c teams have identified that you eliminate the pass rush by simply running right AT Aldon/Justin. Brooks is the best run stuffing OLB we have by far AND he has pass rush ability as well BUT over at the SAM (strong side) he is stuck playing off two blockers on the regular. Moving him to WILL frees him up completely, helps Justin in run support (he neede help) and it is a seamless transition which could mean some big hits from the blind side from both Brooks/Justin. Plus teams won't be expecting it (this is key; teams game plan to double Brooks). Then you can have a nice rotation of Skuta and Lemonier on the strong side. Teams might start moving an extra TE over to the WILL side to combat if successful which then frees up Skuta/Lemonier. Having these two start off at the SAM affords them the opportunity to focus on one major skill-set of sealing the edges and forcing any runs back inside to the backers. They will STILL get their chances to pass rush but for now, it will come more on obvious pass rushing downs. In short, they grow into a more complete skill set with time. Even if this base has some cracks in it, both the WILL and SAM positions are interchangeable at any time.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
activate jon baldwin and james. you got nothing to lose with jon. james will be an upgrade on kickoff returns which were horrid. of course i do not trust JH or his henchman roman to properly use james. still would sign a extra defensive lineman and maybe a backer. stop with the f**king two handed pitch, run to set up the pass.
We are toast man. But run the ball with Frank Gore is the best bet.
Let's play like this again

Hand the ball of to Gore at least 20 times. Will help a lot of these problems
fire harbaugh, fire roman, fire fangio, fire baalke

trade kap to kc for alex, trade aldon to indy for cam johnson
  • Veteran
Skuta is not much of a pass rusher, also could Lemonier be effective on the strong side? Baldwin is a must, esp. given the fact that the Rams DBs are by far better and more physical than the Colts DBs were. Roman needs to get more creative when it comes to the passing game. And at last, Gore, Gore, Gore and more Gore!!!
Originally posted by defenderDX:

We won't ever play like that unless Kap learns how to play against man defense. Bears used a zone almost that entire game, and it cost them. Now teams are using man and Kap can't do s**t.
Offensive struggles > Transition back to Harbaugh's Stanford offense > Start by moving away from the pistol read-option. Go back to the power run game that also creatively used traps and pulls. Scrap slow developing run plays. Utilize the RBs more in the passing game, primarily on checkdowns for Kap in the middle of the field. Call more 3-step drops and quick slants on 1st down. The rationale is to re-focus the offense on ball control, physical play, and more steady consistent movement of the chains.

Just a few of the ideas floating around in my head.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM ]
OK, this is off to a stellar start. LOL

Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

We won't ever play like that unless Kap learns how to play against man defense. Bears used a zone almost that entire game, and it cost them. Now teams are using man and Kap can't do s**t.

No, we RAN the ball successfully, STUCK with it, utilized play-action with quick TIMED passes. We won't ever play like that unless ROMAN learns how to call plays that play to the offenses strengths. Until Kaep learns how to play against man defense? LOL... You must be joking me.
[ Edited by defenderDX on Sep 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM ]
Run the ball with power with wham with trap with misdirection
line up in 2 te sets with davis and mcdonald.
run wr screen with patton and boldin.
run screen with space eaters james and hunter.
have hunter and james in at the same time and double screen to either side (impossible to defend)
play action pass and go deep AT TIMES
ball control and finish in the red zone with any of the things i just mentioned.

On defense, just talk to the offense about rewarding you for your work.

close this thread
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Offensive struggles > Transition back to Harbaugh's Stanford offense > Start by moving away from the pistol read-option. Go back to the power run game that also creatively used traps and pulls. Scrap slow developing run plays. Utilize the RBs more in the passing game, primarily on checkdowns for Kap in the middle of the field. Call more 3-step drops and quick slants on 1st down.

Just a few of the ideas floating around in my head.

There we go. What personnel would you use?
Kape needs more 3 to 5 step drops and release the ball to the worst collection of wrs in the NFL. People cant you guys get it? Our wrs aren't getting separation so teams are squatting on routes playing man and bringing an crashing their safeties up toward the run so there's no lanes to run in and NO OPEN WRS to throw too.
adopt a new college gimmick offense to catch the league off guard
Share 49ersWebzone