LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

Game 2 Assessment:

Shop Find 49ers gear online
28% think the cats out of the bag lol. This is just sad.
Originally posted by Protoman:
If this was Week 17, I'd be panicking.
Even if it was Week 17, it wouldn't be a reason to panic. We were obliterated last year in Seattle in week 16, and then went on to advance to the Super Bowl.
I was as pissed off as anyone after the loss to the seabags. No team annoys me more than the seabags, including the players and pete the cheat.

that said, moving forward, Seattle is a superbowl team AT HOME. No doubt about that. Seattle is unbeatable at home, basically.

THAT SAID, I was hoping that the niners would pull off the win because, well, I'm a 49er fan, but my expectations were a 49er loss. I knew that the noise, and the player BS would get under the players' skins and lead to a 49er loss, a bad one, too. Hell, I even predicted the injuries; I knew that 1 49er would suffer a serious injury because the seahawks are taught to cheat, to take players out. And, well, that was Ian Williams, unfortunately. The 49ers were taking players out because of their hard hitting. Remember all of the opposing running backs that woud get injured playing against the 49ers during 2011? Even the opposing running backs would attribute the injuries to 49er players' solid tackling. It was never a questionable hit. Seattle on the other hand prides itself in lunging at knees.

There is no doubt in my mind that that team is taught to cheat; to push the boundary of legality in everything: on the field and off of the field (PEDs). Their coach HAS that background. The man illegally built up a college program, won championships, and jumped ship so he could avoid the criticism. There is no doubt in my mind that he does the same in Seattle.

THAT SAID, even if they are unbeatable at home, by virtue of the loudest stadium in the NFL, and the PEDs, they have shown time and time again that they cannot beat a decent team on the road. By "decent" i mean a 9-7, 10-6, team. They barely beat Washington with a one-legged QB, and they lost in ATL in the playoffs last year.

If seattle can prove that they can beat a good, or even decent team, on the road, then I can accept that the new balance of power in the NFC west has swung to Seattle. Until then, Seattle is just a championship team at home, aided by a loud stadium and a cheater coach, and a sub-par team on the road. That's it.

The 49ers are not done, they're not old, they're not overrated. It's just impossible to win in that stadium given the external factors that have to be taken into consideration when they play in Seattle. And honestly guys, good teams still need a solid a$$ kicking during the season to keep them in check. No one expected the team to go 19-0 this season. Losses are always a reality.

I can't wait til Dec.8th.......
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by Protoman:
If this was Week 17, I'd be panicking.
Even if it was Week 17, it wouldn't be a reason to panic. We were obliterated last year in Seattle in week 16, and then went on to advance to the Super Bowl.

True. Last year's loss in Seattle wasn't nearly as bad as what happened last weekend.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by Rascal:
I will go one up on you. I truly believe the Seahawks have our number disregard of playing location. I am just going to be totally honest from now on instead of pretending to be positive when I am not. I am quite sure they can beat us at the Stick based on what I have seen in the 2 previous beat downs.

I have nothing to lose and I really hope I am wrong. But, based on my own assessment, this is what I am seeing. The only thing that will be on our side is that some of our injured players will be back such as Mario, may be Tank, and may be Moody. Mind you, they will too, they didn't even have Irvin, Clemons and Harvin. I can't imagine what they will be like when they are at full strength.

There are many 49ers fans deluding themselves into believing the Seahawks are only good when aided by the noise at CLink. And to be fair, it IS a hostile place to play, and visiting teams are without question at a disadvantage. But to write off the Seahawks when they're on the road is ridiculous...first game of the season, home opener for Carolina, early game, it was ugly, but SEA found a way to win.
They are a very good team, and it's not like the 49ers had their way with them the last two times they played in SF. Ginn's 2 return TD's in 2011 and numerous dropped passes by SEA receivers (including at least one sure TD) in 2012 were the difference...not saying 49ers wouldn't have found other ways to win those games, but just illustrating that those games were close and not some clear-cut domination of the Seahawks.
All that said, I think the 49ers CAN dominate the Seahawks, but obviously will require changes in gameplan and possibly (some) personnel.

I agree. I also across those same fans, seriously they are simply in denial. Like you, one thing that I will not deny is the CLink environment is no doubt intimidating. Having said that, to lose is one thing, but to be blown out in two consecutive games is an entirely different matter. No way can you blame that on crowd noise alone.

You are right, even when we were consistently beating them in 2011 up to the first game of last year, we saw the progression of the Seahawks. From the first 2011 game which had a healthier points margin of 16 points with a score of 33-17, the scores of the following games narrowed rather quickly to 19-17 and 13-6.

I think the 9ers can beat the Seahawks, but I wouldn't go that far to say dominate, however apart from change of game-planning it will definitely require an upgrade of personnel at least in key skill positions such as wide receivers.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
even when we are a dominant team , we seem to have one horrible game a season ...reminds me when we took an ass whipping from the eagles in 94 , but still went on to win the superbowl,,,,,,,,we will get this ship back on course....I have faith in our squad

I'm noticing a trend between week 2 & 3 losses, 2011 it was Dallas (week 2), 2012 it was the Vikings (week 3), and now Seattle (Week 2). -We seem to start off hot, letting the power rankings sink to our heads, then we fall, we're put into a position of doubt, underestimated, and we make Championship games. -We really are Baltimore West.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
even when we are a dominant team , we seem to have one horrible game a season ...reminds me when we took an ass whipping from the eagles in 94 , but still went on to win the superbowl,,,,,,,,we will get this ship back on course....I have faith in our squad

40-8.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
I will go one up on you. I truly believe the Seahawks have our number disregard of playing location. I am just going to be totally honest from now on instead of pretending to be positive when I am not. I am quite sure they can beat us at the Stick based on what I have seen in the 2 previous beat downs.

I have nothing to lose and I really hope I am wrong. But, based on my own assessment, this is what I am seeing. The only thing that will be on our side is that some of our injured players will be back such as Mario, may be Tank, and may be Moody. Mind you, they will too, they didn't even have Irvin, Clemons and Harvin. I can't imagine what they will be like when they are at full strength.

There are many 49ers fans deluding themselves into believing the Seahawks are only good when aided by the noise at CLink. And to be fair, it IS a hostile place to play, and visiting teams are without question at a disadvantage. But to write off the Seahawks when they're on the road is ridiculous...first game of the season, home opener for Carolina, early game, it was ugly, but SEA found a way to win.
They are a very good team, and it's not like the 49ers had their way with them the last two times they played in SF. Ginn's 2 return TD's in 2011 and numerous dropped passes by SEA receivers (including at least one sure TD) in 2012 were the difference...not saying 49ers wouldn't have found other ways to win those games, but just illustrating that those games were close and not some clear-cut domination of the Seahawks.
All that said, I think the 49ers CAN dominate the Seahawks, but obviously will require changes in gameplan and possibly (some) personnel.

I agree. I also across those same fans, seriously they are simply in denial. Like you, one thing that I will not deny is the CLink environment is no doubt intimidating. Having said that, to lose is one thing, but to be blown out in two consecutive games is an entirely different matter. No way can you blame that on crowd noise alone.

You are right, even when we were consistently beating them in 2011 up to the first game of last year, we saw the progression of the Seahawks. From the first 2011 game which had a healthier points margin of 16 points with a score of 33-17, the scores of the following games narrowed rather quickly to 19-17 and 13-6.

I think the 9ers can beat the Seahawks, but I wouldn't go that far to say dominate, however apart from change of game-planning it will definitely require an upgrade of personnel at least in key skill positions such as wide receivers.

I agree. The Seahawks have a very good team, right now they are better than the 49ers. The late season matchup will be interesting as Seattle will have Harvin and San Francisco will have back Manningham, Crabtree, and the two rookie depth guys in Carradine and Dial. The 49ers may not be able to get over the hump unless they start getting production (and separation) from their WR's. If the WR's were at least passable teams couldn't load the box as much as they are.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Sep 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM ]
Command, that 3 video presentation was terrific. thanks.
On a little side note, I wanted to add a couple positives:
  • QB B.J. Daniels - he obviously did a great job in preparing the defense b/c we did a very good job containing Wilson and getting some sacks (4) and big hits on him
  • LS: Kevin McDermott - everyone thought the world had come to an end when Brian Jennings was let go but Kevin is doing a very fine job thus far
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM ]

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Command, that 3 video presentation was terrific. thanks.

Can't take credit for posting the video but LOVE doing analysis...it's how I do my Game Assessments (i.e. this thread). When you take the emotion out and rewatch slowly, you can really see the issues (and positives). This is also why this is so frustrating as a fan b/c you'd think the coordinators, the experts, can see this even better up in the booth during the game esp. with an extra set of eyes in Mangini.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM ]
Our season is long from over, but we have to honest, that was a GOOD OLE BUTT WHOPPING. No excuses or attempting to justify why we lost. Happens to everyone at some point. The Seahawks will get there's too.
With the way football is structured (Hard salary cap, draft order, 4-6 days to prep for opponents, one-on-one match-ups, likelihood of injuries, etc.), the level of parity is like no other sport.

We'll be fine, we just need to get back to the fundamentals and capitalize on every momentary opportunity.
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is a great point and we have already seen how Harbaugh backed him up in the media. His demeanor DOES rub off on his QB. They are one. You don't think so? Listen to a CK interview...ANY interview. It is so forced and awkward just like a Harbaugh interview.
Yes, I believe JH needs to be who the QB needs him to be--to the degree possible. He can't change completely but Smith needed a fiery guy who could get him fired up. CK needs the opposite. Not sure Harbaugh can do this but it would really help. The interviews are a really good example of JH leading CK into troubled waters. CK handles the media OK but he could be less confrontational. Maybe that's one of the things Harbaugh likes though.

Originally posted by 49ertheman:
The Obvious: It felt like we were playing a superior team the entire game, I haven't felt that way since the before the Harbaugh era. The noise was a factor but not how most are acting like, that noise gets the seatle players so hyped its dawm near impossible to match, let alone trump. Kaepernick played bad, he made a number of bad passes and decisions, Hopefully he will be cognizant of the entire field from now on when he scrambles. Our defense kept us in the game as long as they could.

Really disagree with this! I thought the game was really balanced until the niners started making uncharacteristic mistakes. Penalties, turnovers, bad decisions. These teams are really even and it comes down to who makes the mistakes and who calls the best game. And the refs make a difference as well. If the refs are going to go light on the DBs holding then the niners need to change accordingly.

Mostly, it seemed the niners were out of sinc and couldn't gather themselves. The game in SF will be more telling.
In Seattle once you get behind, with that crowd noise, things snowball out of control. That first score would've made a big difference in the game. As far as if this is an indication of a down year.......we'll see soon enough.
Share 49ersWebzone