Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 486 users in the forums

Game 2 Assessment:

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ace52
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 339
Great read. Thanks!
Regarding the pass protection, is it just me, or did you also notice that A. Davis was really slow to react to the outside rush move in this game?
Do HaRoMan need to give extra help to the pass-pro on that side?
Gore - I hate to say this about my boy but he looks slow and lethargic. He used to hit ANY hole up the gut with great quickness and burst. I don't see that anymore...at all. Laterally he's even more slow now. He still finishes off his runs well but they are 2-3 yards shorter than they used to be with no big hitters. His hands continue to be getting worse but makes up for it in pass protection and blocking for CK.


I said this yesterday under the change RB thread. I'm not saying to change RB's. We will ride out Frank of course and he will have his better games but we need to slowly ease off him and give Hunter more touches IMO. In a close game I would rather have Gore in there but we need to mix up the runs. He's steadily declining and sad to see. Like I said he is one of the greatest 49ers IMO
  • pd24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 9,407
Originally posted by ace52:
Great read. Thanks!
Regarding the pass protection, is it just me, or did you also notice that A. Davis was really slow to react to the outside rush move in this game?
Do HaRoMan need to give extra help to the pass-pro on that side?


That was the advantage of the 12th man. The oline can't hear the snap count and have to watch for the snap. They have no advantage on the D linemen.
I'm embarrassed to be a 49er fan after that game. Bill Walsh rolled over in his grave...That's for sure. Just flat out embarrassing. We have NO running game and NO Receivers. Please stop saying that Davis is elite...He NEVER does anything. Is Gore done? Because he hasn't had a run past 5 yards. If I don't see improvement I will cancel my season tickets for next season...

Maybe Kaepernick needs to spend more time studying film, rather than filming commercials. Same goes for Harbaurgh.
Originally posted by NinerDayz85:
I'm embarrassed to be a 49er fan after that game. Bill Walsh rolled over in his grave...That's for sure. Just flat out embarrassing. We have NO running game and NO Receivers. Please stop saying that Davis is elite...He NEVER does anything. Is Gore done? Because he hasn't had a run past 5 yards. If I don't see improvement I will cancel my season tickets for next season...

Maybe Kaepernick needs to spend more time studying film, rather than filming commercials. Same goes for Harbaurgh.

You must have forgotten the divisional playoff game vs NO 2 years ago or the Conference championship game last year in ATL. Or better yet 2 weeks ago vs GB where he caught 2 TDs? I hope the 85 on your name is for the year you were born.
NC, I thot I was reading a post I wrote of "SEA opens up a can of whoop azz on 9ers.....and what to do about it. It must have gotten put in another thread, but I swear we say exactly the same things, and wrote pretty much the same....the question, if you and I see it, or think about it, why isn't Coach H , Roman and Fangio. Nice post bro.
ps, if you find the post you will laugh at how closely we came on our evaluations.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
NC, I thot I was reading a post I wrote of "SEA opens up a can of whoop azz on 9ers.....and what to do about it. It must have gotten put in another thread, but I swear we say exactly the same things, and wrote pretty much the same....the question, if you and I see it, or think about it, why isn't Coach H , Roman and Fangio. Nice post bro.
ps, if you find the post you will laugh at how closely we came on our evaluations.

I didn't get a chance to review it but will certainly review (and laugh)!
NC, found it under 49ers vs NFC West(Rams, SEA, etc) pg 41

I still am dumbfounded how a guy can come here from the college ranks, blow the socks off the league in his first two yrs, and then not be able to see the obvious on our O. I think maybe part of this which i alluded to, is the deal with Kap's big cannon. Like a shiny new red car. You got it, you might as well use it. And that seems to be a hang up for Coach and Roman. I think it would work out better if they pretended that was alex back there, and called plays accordingly. But this stupidity of throwing long IN SEA, on first and 2nd downs , and letting frank run against an 8 man ( or a 3 yrd completion) is just incomprehensible.

My question? Why the "H" can't our coaches see that? As for Fangio, and his goal line blitz, man that was fantastic. Where in the world was that in any other location on the field? Good grief, great team and coaches ate up with the dumb azz. What the heck happened to them?
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM ]
Nice post. I'm hijacking your thread to put my own thoughts based in what I saw from the stadium (mercifully a covered part, and with some very gracious Seattle fans around me - all the hype about this being a dangerous venue for visiting fans was nonsense as far as I was concerned).

Why I'm not worried :

Even the best teams lay an egg or two every season. I remember the 40–8 bashing by the Eagles in 1994, Charlie Garner running roughshod over our revamped D. At home. Also the pasting we got from the Giants last season. At home. Guess what happened in both those years? We got creamed by effing Christian Ponder last year! These things happen. The important thing is that they don't happen too often, and not in the playoffs.

The D was just fine. Everyone focuses on Nnamdi getting picked upon, and some of the runs Lynch was able to break. But that was all they could muster. We got good pressure consistently, covered well most of the time, and got our sacks and turnovers.

People complain about the O-Line. We did give up some pressure, particularly on Davis' side, but Kaepernick had time to throw more often than not. I watched the Chiefs vs the Cowpats earlier that day: what Smith had to deal with is what "having no time in the pocket" looks like.

We're getting the two receivers back later in the year. We need them.

The game was close until late.

Why needs to be fixed ASAP :

Penalties: we're not the Raiders or the Lions. This is unacceptable and it's down to the coaches.

Playcalling: bizarre to say the least. Why didn't we keep running? Where was Hunter? It's not just the run blocking that didn't work. We just abandoned the run too soon. Both teams had no offense most of the game (Wilson had negative pass yards most of the first half) , but Seattle kept with the run, until it began to pay off. We just got too cute.

While I'm at it : enough with all the crazy shifts already! We're having trouble getting plays off in time at home and we'll do better in that madhouse? At a time when the NFL seems to be moving to a fast paced offense , we look like the slowest in the league. It wouldn't matter if we ran the ball and had long drives, or if we had the lead. But we had none of that Sunday.

More worrying : Our receivers could not get separation. That was obvious to me at Candlestick as well, but it got obscured by Boldin gaining all those yards. Seattle jammed him mercilessly and dared the others to beat them. They can't. We really need to get those WRs back from injury.

Speaking of which : are we known as the San Francisco Arsenals by any chance? Arsenal are my soccer team in England, and we habitually top the injury table (the only table we're topping these last few years, sadly). I'm not saying that anything other than bad luck is responsible, but jeez! Give us a break! BTW you could see how big a drop-off the D had after Reid got hurt. The kid's the real deal.

The obvious stuff: Kaepernick got frustrated and forced too many throws. We obviously couldn't get any rhythm going, had too many turnovers, couldn't get off the field in third down in the second half, often on third and very long.

The bottom line: all the silly Seattle crowing aside (this was their Superbowl), this only counts as one loss. Sure, it's a division loss, which is bad, but it won't be the end of the world if we go on a tear in the next few weeks. As we should. None of the games up to the bye should be anything other than wins if we get our act together. I'm not saying they're easy, but they're not daunting either. Houston are a good side, but they are lucky they're not 0–2; St Louis is always "improved", but we're a terrible match up for them. We should get down to it, do what we're supposed to do well (run, long drives, win rather than give up turnovers, coach cleverly), and play like the champions we are.
Yeah, I'm not reading this stuff. I'll just say that this is the first time I've ever seen Colin Kaepernick look scurred. That is all.
Nice perspective from the seats! I've asked if anyone had the coaches film on this to see if CK was scared or our WRs just weren't getting open. Seems like we ran a lot of deep routes though.

Originally posted by paulk205:
Nice post. I'm hijacking your thread to put my own thoughts based in what I saw from the stadium (mercifully a covered part, and with some very gracious Seattle fans around me - all the hype about this being a dangerous venue for visiting fans was nonsense as far as I was concerned).

Why I'm not worried :

Even the best teams lay an egg or two every season. I remember the 40–8 bashing by the Eagles in 1994, Charlie Garner running roughshod over our revamped D. At home. Also the pasting we got from the Giants last season. At home. Guess what happened in both those years? We got creamed by effing Christian Ponder last year! These things happen. The important thing is that they don't happen too often, and not in the playoffs.

The D was just fine. Everyone focuses on Nnamdi getting picked upon, and some of the runs Lynch was able to break. But that was all they could muster. We got good pressure consistently, covered well most of the time, and got our sacks and turnovers.

People complain about the O-Line. We did give up some pressure, particularly on Davis' side, but Kaepernick had time to throw more often than not. I watched the Chiefs vs the Cowpats earlier that day: what Smith had to deal with is what "having no time in the pocket" looks like.

We're getting the two receivers back later in the year. We need them.

The game was close until late.

Why needs to be fixed ASAP :

Penalties: we're not the Raiders or the Lions. This is unacceptable and it's down to the coaches.

Playcalling: bizarre to say the least. Why didn't we keep running? Where was Hunter? It's not just the run blocking that didn't work. We just abandoned the run too soon. Both teams had no offense most of the game (Wilson had negative pass yards most of the first half) , but Seattle kept with the run, until it began to pay off. We just got too cute.

While I'm at it : enough with all the crazy shifts already! We're having trouble getting plays off in time at home and we'll do better in that madhouse? At a time when the NFL seems to be moving to a fast paced offense , we look like the slowest in the league. It wouldn't matter if we ran the ball and had long drives, or if we had the lead. But we had none of that Sunday.

More worrying : Our receivers could not get separation. That was obvious to me at Candlestick as well, but it got obscured by Boldin gaining all those yards. Seattle jammed him mercilessly and dared the others to beat them. They can't. We really need to get those WRs back from injury.

Speaking of which : are we known as the San Francisco Arsenals by any chance? Arsenal are my soccer team in England, and we habitually top the injury table (the only table we're topping these last few years, sadly). I'm not saying that anything other than bad luck is responsible, but jeez! Give us a break! BTW you could see how big a drop-off the D had after Reid got hurt. The kid's the real deal.

The obvious stuff: Kaepernick got frustrated and forced too many throws. We obviously couldn't get any rhythm going, had too many turnovers, couldn't get off the field in third down in the second half, often on third and very long.

The bottom line: all the silly Seattle crowing aside (this was their Superbowl), this only counts as one loss. Sure, it's a division loss, which is bad, but it won't be the end of the world if we go on a tear in the next few weeks. As we should. None of the games up to the bye should be anything other than wins if we get our act together. I'm not saying they're easy, but they're not daunting either. Houston are a good side, but they are lucky they're not 0–2; St Louis is always "improved", but we're a terrible match up for them. We should get down to it, do what we're supposed to do well (run, long drives, win rather than give up turnovers, coach cleverly), and play like the champions we are.
I rewatched the game this morning. My one big take away, and I saw it during the game but its even more obvious with the re-watch. is they were really trying to bait kap. He didn't trust what he was seeing and that made him gun shy. Against the packers he was hitting his back foot and letting it fly. After his first pick he stopped trusting what he was seeing. They have a very good secondary and its almost impossible to call audibles at the line in that s**thole. He can usually verify with a shift or a motion what he is looking at. that's almost impossible there. I think that game would turnout very different at the stick.
The crowd in Seattle gives the home team the edge of beating you to the punch. The 49ers could not make adjustments at the line of scrimmage due to the noise. I'm starting to get apprehensive every time we get a first and goal outside the five yard line, must be a Super Bowl hangover. If you analyze this game you'll go nuts because the breakdown after the second quarter was complete. The Colt game can't come soon enough.
My coworker who is a football guru said it best:

"Difference in game plans between 49er D and Seattle D was SF was two deep safety whereas Seattle was man coverage with 8 in the box. Shoulda killed them with McDonald and Davis and/or screens and quick out passes."

Here's the deal. We are no longer in an era of the '85 Bears who had the physical talent to run a very aggressive 46 defense and get away with it for the most part (Montana struggled quite a bit with this, and Young did too when Buddy Ryan went to Houston in '93).

So the point is, no defense is that good that an offense can get shut down that badly. Even our 2011 defense hardly destroyed good offenses that badly. We slapped teams around and make it hard, but holding them to 3 points.....nah.

Gotta change those formations. The irony is that Roman is the running game guru, and we saw none of that so far this season.

This game was like the last two Giants' games.......except the Seahawks allowed the underneath stuff instead of taking it away. Aaron Rodgers couldn't beat the Seahawks (they beat them!) without resorting to the short game.....so what makes the 49ers think they can do better?

Atlanta is probably the only team that could play the game we wanted to play but even they would probably struggle to do very well in C-link.

I'm not so worried actually. Just about our running game and Gore. If that reverts to usual form, bring on these Seahawks all day.....not scared one bit.

If however, this is a real problem that can't be corrected then this is a big deal. Maybe even a bigger deal than Alex Smith's limitations....
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone