There are 278 users in the forums

Game 2 Assessment:

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
My coworker who is a football guru said it best:

"Difference in game plans between 49er D and Seattle D was SF was two deep safety whereas Seattle was man coverage with 8 in the box. Shoulda killed them with McDonald and Davis and/or screens and quick out passes."

Spot on IMHO. I said in the pre game threads that McDonald should have an absolute field day with all the attention both VD and Boldin will get...and with the added attention to the read-option (covering the edges off tackle). Flaring Gore and Hunter (well, anyone from the Q formation) behind the DL from a sprint would have just eaten them alive. Crossing routes, quick slants, Boldin from the slot, Williams, Patton, etc...anything to get clean releases That Bermuda Triangle would have had their defense lost and us showing up in the EZ on a regular basis.
Im starting to wonder if Harbaugh and company are the staff to take us all the way.

They did a great job of taking players and putting in a system that players bought in to and got us to be a contender, but I really wonder if they have what it takes to take us to the ultimate level.

The lack of adjustments is very concerning. We never seem to make any adjustments until it is too late. The players play totally undiscplined which is a reflection of their head coach.

I hope Im wrong.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Spot on IMHO. I said in the pre game threads that McDonald should have an absolute field day with all the attention both VD and Boldin will get...and with the added attention to the read-option (covering the edges off tackle). Flaring Gore and Hunter (well, anyone from the Q formation) behind the DL from a sprint would have just eaten them alive. Crossing routes, quick slants, Boldin from the slot, Williams, Patton, etc...anything to get clean releases That Bermuda Triangle would have had their defense lost and us showing up in the EZ on a regular basis.

And yet we did none of this. If people on here can spot these things how much confidence can you possibly have in the coaching staff?
I for one do not think the sky is falling.

I think there is two Seahawk teams. One with 11 men and one with 12.

I don't think we have an answer when we cannot hear a thing. Too much communication occurs across the offense (line calls, pass protection) not to mention losing the advantage of knowing the snap count. Things completely broke down and if we are going to win in Seattle, we have to be better at playing "deaf" ball.

And they will need a better record than for us to see 12 again.

PS NCommand enjoyed your analysis.
Originally posted by rondoman:
And yet we did none of this. If people on here can spot these things how much confidence can you possibly have in the coaching staff?

I've personally never had confidence in Roman and his college offense. There isn't a single WCO aspect of it. I think Fangio is a good DC but extremely stubborn and about as vanilla as a 3-4 DC comes (and that is AFTER Nolan was here). Harbaugh IS showing me the lack of discipline as of late and it seems that almost all of these issues are becoming like Ground Hog Day...the nightmare, not the movie. I geniuinely thought Mangini would be helpful to Roman and Seattle would be some nice evidence of this. What we just "saw" wasn't complicated coming into to it, during it and esp. after reviewing the assessment. We have more than enough personnel so that can't be too much of the reason. I saw a Rams team beat us last year with one single weapon on offense...Amendola (and he had a broken collar bone). So I thought Scheme was the Theme for 2013. So far, I'm not seeing us learn from our obvious mistakes, trends and shortcomings, which is something I thought Harbaugh aspires too...to getting better just a little, each day. This is not an end-of-the-world alarm here but I do hear some sirens off in the distance.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 17, 2013 at 3:09 PM ]
Originally posted by OldJoe:
I for one do not think the sky is falling.

I think there is two Seahawk teams. One with 11 men and one with 12.

I don't think we have an answer when we cannot hear a thing. Too much communication occurs across the offense (line calls, pass protection) not to mention losing the advantage of knowing the snap count. Things completely broke down and if we are going to win in Seattle, we have to be better at playing "deaf" ball.

And they will need a better record than for us to see 12 again.

PS NCommand enjoyed your analysis.

Agreed and much appreciated!
Very solid post!

I'm not a big fan of Roman - he runs hot and cold. They better figure out the 8-9 men in a box solution fast because every team we will be playing sure as hell are looking at the game film.

Supposedly we have a "Vault" w/all the WCO stuff from Bill Walsh. Our coaches need to revisit it quickly.
Just wanted to worthlessly pop in to say that I have very much enjoyed the OP and the following posts. I hated everything about this game, and have been doing yardwork to keep myself from even watching it again.

Anyway, my only gripe would be the Frank Gore observations, but freely admit that this MIGHT be my reluctance to believe he can ever slow down. No! WON'T DO IT!!!! LaLalalalalalalalalalalalalala!

• Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerDayz85:
I'm embarrassed to be a 49er fan after that game. Bill Walsh rolled over in his grave...That's for sure. Just flat out embarrassing. We have NO running game and NO Receivers. Please stop saying that Davis is elite...He NEVER does anything. Is Gore done? Because he hasn't had a run past 5 yards. If I don't see improvement I will cancel my season tickets for next season...

Maybe Kaepernick needs to spend more time studying film, rather than filming commercials. Same goes for Harbaurgh.

LOL ITS WEEK TWO PEOPLE WEEK 2 GOD lol. OH NOW WE ARE 1-1 WORLD IS OVER. Jesus man this zone sometimes.
Originally posted by Axl49:
I'm embarrassed to be a 49er fan after that game. Bill Walsh rolled over in his grave...That's for sure. Just flat out embarrassing. We have NO running game and NO Receivers. Please stop saying that Davis is elite...He NEVER does anything. Is Gore done? Because he hasn't had a run past 5 yards. If I don't see improvement I will cancel my season tickets for next season...

Maybe Kaepernick needs to spend more time studying film, rather than filming commercials. Same goes for Harbaurgh.

LOL ITS WEEK TWO PEOPLE WEEK 2 GOD lol. OH NOW WE ARE 1-1 WORLD IS OVER. Jesus man this zone sometimes.

Agreed. I am NEVER embarrassed to be a 49er fan. NEVER.

Originally posted by Axl49:

its really unreal. if you looked at our sched and said we'll about 4 games, in seattle was totally one of them. we can go back to singletary days if yall would like. i get being frustrated, but its becoming a little much,.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Just wanted to worthlessly pop in to say that I have very much enjoyed the OP and the following posts. I hated everything about this game, and have been doing yardwork to keep myself from even watching it again.

Anyway, my only gripe would be the Frank Gore observations, but freely admit that this MIGHT be my reluctance to believe he can ever slow down. No! WON'T DO IT!!!! LaLalalalalalalalalalalalalala!

Haha. Nice. Nah, I'm sure it's just that Frank isn't getting many snaps as a RB inside and as a result, just isn't getting into any rhythm!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Haha. Nice. Nah, I'm sure it's just that Frank isn't getting many snaps as a RB inside and as a result, just isn't getting into any rhythm!

Aaah, that's better! Gore is just hitting his prime and will be awesome beyond 2019!!!!!
Great work NC. Agree with most of it. When something isn't working and they don't make changes, it smacks of ego and stubborness to me. The limiting factor isn't the players because we've see them do more than they did in Seattle. It's the coaches.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Sep 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM ]

LOL. Yeah because Bill Walsh never lost a game. How about that 49-3 drubbing against the Giants in the playoffs? Or the embarrassing loss to Minnesota in 1987 after the team had gone 13-2 in the regular season? The last time I checked, the 49ers DO play in the NFL, where you have the best of the best playing and coaching. So yes, they're going to have bad games and games where they are outcoached. It's part of being in this league. The fact that Harbaugh has gone to the NFCCG and then the Super Bowl in his first two years is a clear indication of his success as a coach. Moreover, need I remind everyone that Bill Walsh actually NEVER had 11 win seasons in any 2 consecutive years, whereas Harbaugh has had 13 and 11 wins in his first two seasons. Don't get me wrong, I am not in anyway comparing Harbaugh to Bill Walsh, but only putting things in perspective. It's week 2, the 49ers had a bad loss at Seattle where everyone plays poorly, let's get over it and move on.
Share 49ersWebzone