LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Practice Squad

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Yeah, I'm not singling him out. I'm just speaking to the general issue of people dissatisfied with Baalke. I think Baalke is one of the best GM's in the league and the rest of the league must agree or he wouldn't have gotten Executive of the Year as Pillbusta pointed out. Plus, I don't think he's done all that bad in the lower rounds. Bruce Miller was a seventh rounder. Dixon and K.Williams were both sixth rounders. Hunter was a fourth rounder. The team has gotten a lot of value out of those guys for those positions in the draft.

About 3 or 4 teams released their 2013 FOURTH rounders in the past few days. When you look at what Baalke has been able to accomplish, its pretty amazing, I mean guys like Bruce Miller, Cam Johnson, BJ Daniels, all look like outstanding choices where they were picked.

Baalke is extremely dedicated to the long range plan. He doesn't mind taking guys who are injured or who need to switch positions but he mixes it up so no one strategy dominates. Hard for other teams to get a bead on him. I am waiting to see what happens when this team starts winning Super Bowls. My bet is that he will continue to let guys go who are overpaid by other teams--Morgan, Goldson, Baas. That's why he impresses me so much...keeps everything in focus.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
My guess is that anyone who gets added to the PS now will be someone we're not talking about from another team.

I went through the list of cuts.

Terry Hawthorne, a 5th round cornerback cut by Steelers, was the only name that stood out.
Well said dtg. I think we are going to see a big turn around next year as well. It's going to make people mad but don't be surprised if we have to move on from T. Brown, Goodwin, Whitner, Dixon, Williams or Manningham or both, Dixon, possibly Boldin, Asomugha, etc even if they all do well this year. They already made tough decisions on players like Haralson and Jennings and even though it could hurt us now will help us in the future. I hope we can start with Iupati's extension but really once the season is over we are able to extend Kap, Aldon, Hunter, Miller, Culliver... We are already able to extend Crabtree but not sure I see that happening, will likely be up to Michael. Could see us tagging him for 2015... going to be so tough getting these guys under the cap. It sucks losing good players but if it means extending guys who are our future we have to do it.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by buck:
OK. Since nothing is happening right now with the cuts.

Baalke hired Harbaugh. Baalke drafted Mays and Jenkins.

Baalke is not infallible. Baalke is human and makes mistakes.

If he hits on 70% of his picks he will be ahead of the league average. The guy is pretty solid all around...trades, vets, draft...team would still be in the wilderness without him. Even JH can't win without players.

Make no mistake. I applaud the job Baalke has done in hiring, the draft, free agency, trades and with the salary cap.

I also think that he is stand up guy.
Originally posted by buck:
I went through the list of cuts.
Terry Hawthorne, a 5th round cornerback cut by Steelers, was the only name that stood out.

I know some wanted him on here. Here is the nfl.com draft profile on him if anyone wants to check him out.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/terry-hawthorne?id=2539238

Also, some people mentioned Chris Harper WR from Seattle. I would think those guys might get claimed or did they pass through waivers? If they did I would think they might want to go to a PS of a team that isn't so loaded.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 1, 2013 at 10:41 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I know some wanted him on here. Here is the nfl.com draft profile on him if anyone wants to check him out.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/terry-hawthorne?id=2539238

Also, some people mentioned Chris Harper WR from Seattle. I would think those guys might get claimed or did they pass through waivers? If they did I would think they might want to go to a PS of a team that isn't so loaded.

I did not see their names in any lists of players claimed off waivers.

I checked the practice squad tracker and did not see their names. That does not mean all that much.
My hope is that WR Da' Rick Rogers is the last spot on the practice squad. He worked out for the dolphins this week, immensly talented but a lack of understanding X's an O's would benefit greatly around such a team of professionals. He could really turn into something. There is no questioning his size speed and athletic ability. These things just cant be taught.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
My hope is that WR Da' Rick Rogers is the last spot on the practice squad. He worked out for the dolphins this week, immensly talented but a lack of understanding X's an O's would benefit greatly around such a team of professionals. He could really turn into something. There is no questioning his size speed and athletic ability. These things just cant be taught.

You also can't fix stupid.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Xcfan seems knowledgeable but I think he's one of those guys that loves to argue. Of course Baalke isn't perfect, maybe he isn't great with late round OL but he's one of the best GM's in the league. Some have really high standards or love to complain although I wouldn't say xcfan is fully a complainer because he gave credit for some stuff Baalke did which complainers never seem to do. Ex: well so what if he hit on Aldo, Kap, Hunter, Davis, Iupati he missed on AJ Jenkins. Guy sucks!

people have strengths and weaknesses. same goes with gm's. a good gm better be self-critical enough to seek knowledge to shore up his shortcomings. an outstanding person can do that ego check. pinheads full of hubris can't do that, and they get pinhead outcomes in the end.
i know baalke has keen insight for some talent, evidenced by the aldon smith pick. for some reason (probably his youth), aldon wasn't highly touted coming out, but he was always beating blocks at Missouri and had good measureables. i thought he had 1st rd, can't-miss talent as a 4-3 DE who could rush, win hand battles, and battle through any garbage all along the d-line, but i didn't think he could handle playing in space on a nfl defense. he's now managing it good enough. baalke saw that, and saw it better than most gm's did. i like the creative way he found a fullback, and tried to do something with a beastly, football virgin, discus thrower.

baalke's also good at determining character traits that form a good locker room. he just needs to make sure he never overlooks inferior talent because he likes the person so much; you can't let a player's personality sway you to buy in when the guy's physical side is full of holes. i think baalke may have done that a little with looney, slowey, and jenkins.

i think baalke needs to fix his method for finding o-linemen to develop. it's pretty much a waste of time trying to find developmental o-linemen from big schools in the later rounds. most just don't have the basic talent to make it. you can get small school guys with big talent late in the draft, but you have to be able to determine that the physical talent is there to develop; that's a difficult assignment. baalke would be much better off just picking o-linemen in the top 100. those guys don't have huge hurdles to overcome. better to save the later rounds for receivers, corners, safeties, and running backs. there's a larger pool of athletic talent with these smaller guys, so there's a better chance of development. big-school linemen who fall to the late rounds have big weaknesses than make development much harder--if not impossible. just look at guys like bykowski and omemeh--the raw materials are just not there. but, year-in-and-year-out, we can get db's in the 6th and 7th rds who have the physical tools to develop into players.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:

You also can't fix stupid.

Ricardo Lockette mark 2.0...

• mayo49
  • Veteran
AdamSchefter Adam SchefterSF added WR help by way of Seattle. 49ers signed WR Chris Harper off Seattle's practice squad, per league source.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Lockette lol

This. Lockette is done...done...done. Dude needs to do something else with his life.;

Why so funny? He was the first picked up and may play well for the Bears. If nothing else he will be an excellent gunner. Wish him well...he only got 2 balls thrown his way this pre season. I would have liked to see him perform with CK and the #1 offense but oh well.
Originally posted by JoeMontana:
Originally posted by NCommand:
First guess...some will be added to other's 53 and this is a fluid situation. But what the heck:

RB Jewel Hampton
WR Ricardo Lockette or Chuck Jacobs
TE MarQueis Gray (H-Back)
RB Jewel Hampton or FB Jason Schepler
CB Marcus Cooper
CB Darryl Morris
NT Lamar Divens (after recovery)
DE Lawrence Okoye (after recovery)

Would have been ideal but no so much in reality! Still, we retained a couple good ones.
Yeah, what's with the dislike for Lockette? 2 passes come his way, and each were busted up by a DPI. I am fine with him gone, but wouldn't have minded him sticking either.
So, with Harper what is our PS list...for now. I'm assuming we are keeping Okoye and Divens as well?
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 2, 2013 at 8:42 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone