LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Frank "the tank's" replacment?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Frank "the tank's" replacment?

this was really a thread?
Hunter is, I think, very clearly Gore's replacement. You can argue that he is the same type of player MJD is...and with experience could be as good or better.

The question is who will the team trade or allow to walk when their time is coming?
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by outside4949:
why does frank only have 1 year left? he has the best vision in the nfl that makes him less dependent on his physical skills. he could loose another step and still be better han 90% of the backs out there. I could see him being our starter for another 3 years.

Wishful thinking but he's getting near the end. What game was it last year where he had the open field and his legs gave out from underneath him and he couldn't juke a player? Anyway, it's just a matter of time plus why pay someone millions with all these young studs coming up?
Frank Gore is never going to retire

END THREAD
Originally posted by Chico:
Wishful thinking but he's getting near the end. What game was it last year where he had the open field and his legs gave out from underneath him and he couldn't juke a player? Anyway, it's just a matter of time plus why pay someone millions with all these young studs coming up?

this exact topic has been posted in here at the beginning of the year for the last 3 years. you pay someone millions when he's the best option. imo
Lattimore will back up Hunter for a minute or 2
Hunter FOR NOW at first would be the better feature back because of his polish in all the other areas.

I know the 49ers would LOVE for Lattimore to be "the guy" but you have no idea what kind of player he's going to be even when he's fully "healed" and "recovered". I think Hunter and a healthy Lattimore could be like a Ray Rice - Bernard Pierce style one two punch at some point.

Right now, there's a big difference in who they really "want" to take over, vs. who has the better chance of doing so. Right now, I'd say Hunter has the better shot, and I think he'd be great there.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
the whole depth chart will replace him. Hunter, James and Lattimore is tremendous depth

This.

Post-Gore I think we see more platoon and less bell cow. If Lattimore can fully recover that is a very nice looking stable of backs for the next 5-8 years with carries split 45% Hunter, 45% Lattimore, 10% James. Someone needs to teach LMJ to motion out of the backfield and play wide receiver, especially out of the slot. Best chance he has of becoming a true impact player on offense is as a match up nightmare in the passing game. Would also free up a roster spot by allowing us to only carry 5 WR safely.
  • mod
  • Veteran
With Lattimore on the mend and really no clues as to how he might perform at this level I'm voting for Hunter
If Lattimore comes back 100%, then he will take over. No question.

But that is a big if. Hunter is more likely the candidate to take over. LMJ is a role player. He's not an every down back.

Make no mistake, once Gore is done, we will be in the same position as we are at with WR now. We will have a bunch of young guys, some with injury history, and somebody will need to step up.

Personally, I hope it is Lattimore since he is the only guy on our roster that has the talent level to truly replace Frank Gore. The question is how well he will recover.

If Lattimore does make it back and has a successful career, I believe it'll be the biggest knee comeback ever! If I'm not mistaken, they had to rebuild his ENTIRE knee. Everything that could have torn, did. If not him, at least from the current stable, I vote for Hunter.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
If Lattimore does make it back and has a successful career, I believe it'll be the biggest knee comeback ever! If I'm not mistaken, they had to rebuild his ENTIRE knee. Everything that could have torn, did. If not him, at least from the current stable, I vote for Hunter.

3 of 4 ligaments with no nerve damage. dr andrews said he thought he would fully recover

3 of 4 ligaments with no nerve damage. dr andrews said he thought he would fully recover

no nerve damage, thats huge
dr andews is a miracle worker
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

all 4 major ligaments
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Willis MaGahee had a similar injury. Tore, I think every ligament he had.
Share 49ersWebzone