There are 244 users in the forums

2013 SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS vs. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS GAMEDAY THREAD (Preseason Game 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by dj43:
Of course there are several of the more vociferous members of the anti-Alex webzoners that have followed him over to KC and never miss an opportunity to taint the conversation there.

As to the actual game itself; the Chiefs were playing one of the very best defenses in the league, hence, to not roll up a lot of points is no great crime. I am more concerned about the fact that when our 1s were in the game offensively, we did nothing apart from one run by Gore.

Alex was playing against our 2's and still looked like a deer in the head lights

and our number 1 O had one series with a missed TD attempt to Chad Hall

Whose headlights were blinding the THREE KC receivers who dropped passes that were right in their hands?

Don't bother answering. We all know your predisposition. I am more concerned about continued 49er penalties, lack of WR talent and who will emerge as the backup QB.
Of course there are several of the more vociferous members of the anti-Alex webzoners that have followed him over to KC and never miss an opportunity to taint the conversation there.

As to the actual game itself; the Chiefs were playing one of the very best defenses in the league, hence, to not roll up a lot of points is no great crime. I am more concerned about the fact that when our 1s were in the game offensively, we did nothing apart from one run by Gore.

Alex was playing against our 2's and still looked like a deer in the head lights

Whose headlights were blinding the THREE KC receivers who dropped passes that were right in their hands?

Don't bother answering. We all know your predisposition. I am more concerned about continued 49er penalties, lack of WR talent and who will emerge as the backup QB.

im going to answer it with another question ...why does every receiver have trouble catching balls from Alex Smith ?

Penalties can be correcte

No QB depth to compliment our WR depth
  • dj43

im going to answer it with another question ...why does every receiver have trouble catching balls from Alex Smith ?

Penalties can be correcte

No QB depth to compliment our WR depth
When the ball is right in your hands, in stride, there is NO excuse for not catching it. NONE.

Yes, penalties can be corrected, however, there is something missing in the coaching mix since Harbaugh arrived. The last year under Nolan/Singletary, this team, which we all agreed was bad, was 14th in the league in penalties. In the two years under Harbaugh, penalties INCREASED to 7th and 6th most last season. Led the league in delay of game, 1st in unnecessary roughness, 2nd in defensive holding...other categories were high as well. This, IMO, is a coaching issue.

Depth at the two most important offensive positions (QB & WR) is a red flag. To me, the rest of the roster is relatively set. The remaining two games need to solve those two.
  • dj43
Originally posted by GNielsen:
What about all the blitzing? That was just strange. Fangio really hasn't done that, but I would be very pleased if he started incorporating that approach during the regular season. That was brutal defense. I think he was intent on watching how certain corners would fare in man situations with blitzes up front, but that had to be a bit of a surprise for the Chiefs.

I was encouraged by the blitzes. When Fangio was announced as the new DC, I was excited. He had worked under Dom Capers who runs some of the best and most creative blitz packages in the league. I had hoped that Fangio would bring some of that here. However, in the first two years, we saw almost none of the stuff that Capers runs so well. Last night we saw some of that, for the first time that I recall.
What about all the blitzing? That was just strange. Fangio really hasn't done that, but I would be very pleased if he started incorporating that approach during the regular season. That was brutal defense. I think he was intent on watching how certain corners would fare in man situations with blitzes up front, but that had to be a bit of a surprise for the Chiefs.

The other takaway from the game for me was that BJ Daniels has a much stronger arm than either McCoy or Tolzien. If Daniels was a little faster, he'd be a dead-on Wilson clone.

He was channeling Greg Williams?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
from what I saw,, ck needs to play three quarters in the next game. yes I know JH says he knows what he has,, yes I know many people think CK is a mythical creature who can just turn it on. However with the over throw of the pass in the end zone, it just shows me he needs more than one series to shake off the rust. i think many have stated the glaring need of a qb behind him and sorry folks, scotty is a bum and should not make this team. I know there have already been a litany of excuses made for another non showing by jenkins but the fact is, he still can not stand up on the line of scrimmage vs a physical corner. if he makes the team what do you think the seattle corners will do to him? people rave about his catch which was called back but I am not going to drink his bathwater because he did what he was supposed to do against a second or third string corner. I hope all of last weeks blather about dawson is gone as well
Just watching the highlights, great to see the pressure on the QB, the pocket collapsing, hurried throws, scrambling in the pocket to avoid a sack. This is what we lacked last year for sure. And wouldn't you know it, the CBs held up and didn't give up a big play. I love that we have great depth along the line and now even at LB with Lemonier, Wilhoite and and Haralson back in the mix. Really excited about Lemonier as a pure rusher this season. We need to send our guys after the QB.
When the ball is right in your hands, in stride, there is NO excuse for not catching it. NONE.

Yes, penalties can be corrected, however, there is something missing in the coaching mix since Harbaugh arrived. The last year under Nolan/Singletary, this team, which we all agreed was bad, was 14th in the league in penalties. In the two years under Harbaugh, penalties INCREASED to 7th and 6th most last season. Led the league in delay of game, 1st in unnecessary roughness, 2nd in defensive holding...other categories were high as well. This, IMO, is a coaching issue.

Depth at the two most important offensive positions (QB & WR) is a red flag. To me, the rest of the roster is relatively set. The remaining two games need to solve those two.

Good points, but I chalk up the penalties to the complexity of the system and Harbaugh's emphasis on aggressiveness. You are right that it is a problem but I think eventually they will learn to play aggressively, but more under control. It's like some OLinemen who start out jumping offside and finally calm down. The holding seems to me to be a symptom of the DBs playing on their heals. The first year under Fangio I don't recall as many holding penalties...haven't checked though. The unsportsmanlike penalties will go down with the departure of Goldson...I hope!

The delay in game penalties may be due to the same thing but are less tolerable to me because it is so vital to master and it's (as you say) a coaching problem, not player.

Originally posted by defenderDX:

lol in his defense that safety in the right corner wouldve probably decapitated that receiver if he caught it

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

lol in his defense that safety in the right corner wouldve probably decapitated that receiver if he caught it

Hard to tell. I don't think Alex would've had the arm strength to get the ball to the receiver fast enough before the Safety knocked his head off.
Originally posted by mayo49:
How much you want to bet Alex gets benched mid season.

if he gets a concussion its possible
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

The other takaway from the game for me was that BJ Daniels has a much stronger arm than either McCoy or Tolzien. If Daniels was a little faster, he'd be a dead-on Wilson clone.

He was channeling Greg Williams?

There's something about Alex that just makes you want to blitz the hell out of him.

Or the DL gets a finger on the pass to tip it.. then who knows what happens next. Or maybe the DL drives Alex into the dirt and injures him. It's preseason and he played it safe. KC scored a TD two plays later. All good.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

Or the DL gets a finger on the pass to tip it.. then who knows what happens next. Or maybe the DL drives Alex into the dirt and injures him. It's preseason and he played it safe. KC scored a TD two plays later. All good.

Alexcuses
Share 49ersWebzone