LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

Aldon Smith vs. DeMarcus Ware

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Have we ever found out about tackles + sacks -- whether sacks count as tackles from PFF or NFL stats?
Elias Sports Bureau does the official stats for the NFL.hey

I sent them an email asking if sacks are counted as tackles.

If they reply, I will post the answer.

http://www.esb.com/
Originally posted by buck:
Elias Sports Bureau does the official stats for the NFL.hey

I sent them an email asking if sacks are counted as tackles.

If they reply, I will post the answer.

http://www.esb.com/

Great minds think alike. I did the same thing to PFF. I will also post the answer, if I get one.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Great minds think alike. I did the same thing that o PFF. I will also post the answer, if I get one.

I did the comparison of Aldon's and Ware's first two years that you asked for.

Did you see the numbers?
[ Edited by buck on Jul 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak: Can you post a video of that -- besides the 5 sack game? I've seen JSmith bull tackles into the bleachers, but not Aldon, who is 30 pounds lighter.
Cereal? expand your mind bro...

his first two seasons. Tell me the last time a rookie not named Watt or Miller has come anywhere close to this domination. You gotta look back to White, and Smith. He lines up opposite of Justin about half the time and is still as productive, Nuff said.

Thanks for the videos.

Haha... was possibly blacked out when i posted those...
I did the comparison of Aldon's and Ware's first two years that you asked for.

Did you see the numbers?

Yes I did. They look great. I think Aldon has had a very productive first two years, just as Ware did. Obviously, Aldon has special ability which is why he is schemed so much to pass rush. He does other things well too, and I think he will get better at all of those things as time wears on. If Aldon was not injured, he very likely would have finished with over 23 sacks. I also think he would have produced better if he actually pass rushed less and not been part of such a predictable scheme, but that is a totally different issue and has nothing to do with his abilities.

Anyway thanks for getting it together. Ware has proven to be an elite performer, and it's not unreasonable to hope that Aldon will attain the same production and impact in all phases of the game as Ware has achieved in prior years.

Also I hope Ware comes back from his setbacks and gains superior form this season as he is a quality performer with much to offer -- except against us, of course.

Has there been a perception that i don't think Aldon is a valued contributor? That's just not true at all. That's not what I am thinking in any way.

I was a little disappointed with his production at the end of the season -- but then the injury info came out and that explained a lot. So, there's really no negativity on my part at all, and a lot of optimism.

Please remember that, really, he's just a kid in this league. He came in 14 months younger than Ware. That's a long long time in youth sports. Aldon is playing up ~1.5 years as a rookie. I bet the average age of rookies is 22 something - 23 something, with redshirts, JC stints, and all that.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Jul 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM ]

I haven't had a chance to look through them all. I'm at work. I'll finish tonight. For 2011 I see some horrible mobility mismatches.

I haven't had a chance to look through them all. I'm at work. I'll finish tonight. For 2011 I see some horrible mobility mismatches.

Like 320 pound tackles against a 260 pound freak of athletic nature who can also just bullrush through said tackles?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Yes I did. They look great. I think Aldon has had a very productive first two years, just as Ware did. Obviously, Aldon has special ability which is why he is schemed so much

Anyway thanks for getting it together.

Also I hope Ware comes back from his setbacks and gains superior form this season as he is a quality performer with much to offer -- except against us, of course.

Your welcome.

Dallas is switching to a 4-3, so Ware will be playing DE next year.

I do not know if the change will affect his game, either positively or negatively, very much.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM ]
Like 320 pound tackles against a 260 pound freak of athletic nature who can also just bullrush through said tackles?

Yeah, something like that. Did I amgine this, or did I see somewhere that Aldon was listed at 270 something pounds, at one point? Was I hallucinating, or going senile?
Your welcome.

Dallas is switching to a 4-3, so Ware will be playing DE next year.

I do not know if the change will affect his game, either positively or negatively, very much.

Well, I hope that he will play way less than 1000 snaps, or else you can bet he will go through the meat grinder just like we had to endure this year. He will be on industrial strength oxycodone by week 6. Unless he puts on about 35 pounds by end of training camp.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Jul 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM ]

Yeah, something like that. Did I amgine this, or did I see somewhere that Aldon was listed at 270 something pounds, at one point? Was I hallucinating, or going senile?

I pulled 260 out of my a$$, he could very well be around 265-270.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Team site has him at 258 lbs

http://www.49ers.com/team/roster.html
I looked back, and he was never listed that heavy. At Missou he was listed at 263.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I looked back, and he was never listed that heavy. At Missou he was listed at 263.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/aldon-smith?id=2495487

Same weight at combine.
Share 49ersWebzone