There are 186 users in the forums

Aldon Smith vs. DeMarcus Ware

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
In various threads it has been asserted that DeMarcus Ware is a better overall linebacker than Aldon Smith because Ware is asked to do more than Aldon, and that Ware's overall game is better than Aldon's overall game.

Here are some comparisons of the things that Smith and Ware are asked to do and how well they do them.

I think this merits a separate thread, but if not feel free to move it.

Total Snaps

Smith—1025 (3rd highest among OLB)
Ware—896 (9th highest among OLB)

Run Snaps/% of total snaps

Smith—394 (38.44%)
Ware—378 (42.19%)

Rush Snaps/% of total snaps

Smith—538 (52.49%)
Ware--454 (50.67%)

Cover Snaps/% of total snaps

Smith—93 (9.07%)
Ware—64 (7.14%)

PFF Overall Rating

Smith—17.6
Ware—2.8

PFF Run Rating

Smith—7.8
Ware—minus 1.6

PFF Rush Rating

Smith—14
Ware—13.6

PFF Cover Rating

Smith—minus 0.9
Ware—minus 3.3

I have more numbers and will add those numbers, if there is any interest in this thread.

Number and ratings are from:

https://www.profootballfocus.com

Enjoy

Tackles

Smith 50--16—66
Ware 33—23—56

Missed Tackles

Smith—3
Ware—7

Run Stops

Smith—26
Ware—20

Run Stop %

Smith—7.2%
Ware—5.8%
% of stops per snap played only in run defense.

Run Tackle Efficiency

Smith--49
Ware--8
the number of attempted tackles per miss on running plays only. .
[ Edited by buck on Jul 2, 2013 at 5:37 PM ]
Thank you for shattering pre-conceived notions with real numbers and not opinions. I appreciate that. Let me add that Smith has 33.5 sacks over the last two seasons compared to Ware's 31 and they have a very similar number of tackles over that period - Smith 80 and Ware 81 - remembering that Ware started twice as many games over the past two seasons.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Thank you for shattering pre-conceived notions with real numbers and not opinions. I appreciate that. Let me add that Smith has 33.5 sacks over the last two seasons compared to Ware's 31 and they have a very similar number of tackles over that period - Smith 80 and Ware 81 - remembering that Ware started twice as many games over the past two seasons.

Thank you. I am trying to avoid inserting my opinions in the same posts as the numbers.
I think it is important to look Aldon's actual numbers.

Make no mistake; DeMarcus Ware has been a tremendous player and in no sense am I trying to demean his career.

I will be adding more numbers, but it takes me time to compile and check them.
  • Jiks
Alfonso(auto correct)has more snaps? Didn't expect that.
ware has been getting up there in age, and doesn't haven't nearly the defensive talent around him that aldon does. both great players.
@buck:

No question about it. Demarcus Ware is an unbelievably good NFL player - absolutely top five in the league defensively. But I also think lots of fans around the league and quite a few Niner fans I've seen are underestimating Aldon Smith. He's only entering his third season, but if it's another one like the first two, he deserves to be considered close to the top of the bunch if not at the top.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
From what I've read, the knock on Ware is that a lot of his sacks and impact come in garbage time. Comments from Cowboys fans basically indicate that he racks up his numbers after the game is out of reach and he doesn't show up enough when the team needs a stop,
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Disp:
From what I've read, the knock on Ware is that a lot of his sacks and impact come in garbage time. Comments from Cowboys fans basically indicate that he racks up his numbers after the game is out of reach and he doesn't show up enough when the team needs a stop,

Dallas fans might be a little disgruntled by team not making the play-offs in a while. I would take your friend's criticism of Ware with a grain of salt.

Ware is tied for the record of most seasons leading the league in sacks with two (2008 and 2010).

Ware has recorded 10+ sacks in 7 straight seasons. Only 2 other players in NFL history have more consecutive seasons with 10+ sacks:

He has been to the Pro Bowl seven times. He is a four time First-team All-Pro.

He may play for Dallas, but he is an excellent player
I that after just two seasons, the fact that Aldon Smith can even be in the same conversation as Demarcus Ware should be very exciting to Niner fans.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I that after just two seasons, the fact that Aldon Smith can even be in the same conversation as Demarcus Ware should be very exciting to Niner fans.

True. I am excited about Aldon Smith being a 49er.

Speaking of being in the same conversation, here are the numbers for pass rushing last year.

Sacks

Smith-19.5
Ware—14

Hits

Smith--13
Ware--13

Hurries

Smith-39
Ware--32

Total Pressures

Smith-71.5
Ware--59

Pass Rush Productivity Ranting

Smith—11.7
Ware—11.4
Incredible! I want to see him steaming around Okung and dragging Wilson down. I want to see him make it near impossible for Bradford to get a throw off.
Ware was hurt last year, just like Aldon, maybe a little more seriously and for longer. Both fine players. I think it's important to keep in mind their ages when they came in the league. Demarcus was 23 + 2 mo, Aldon turned 22 four weeks into his rookie season. That's a difference you have to keep in mind.
Must find a way to keep Aldon when the time comes. Very interesting stats, Buck, thanks for posting. As long as Aldon stays healthy, I see no reason to think his terrorizing will diminish.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Ware was hurt last year, just like Aldon, maybe a little more seriously and for longer. Both fine players. I think it's important to keep in mind their ages when they came in the league. Demarcus was 23 + 2 mo, Aldon turned 22 four weeks into his rookie season. That's a difference you have to keep in mind.

DeMarcus Ware and Aldon Smith both had a torn labrum and both had surgery.

I have no idea which injury was more serious, but Ware also had a problem with his elbow.

edit: I know that Ware is getting older and that may mean he is slowing down, but I do not understand your point about their ages when they came into the league.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone