LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Rookies and FAs You Root For

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Unfortunately for the rookies and FAs, the current 49ers squad, for the most part, is deep and set. So, which low draftees (4th Rnd>) or undrafted rookies or FAs are you hoping to make the team this year? Name at least 3 and why.

Mine would be Marqueis Gray, Nnamdi, Quinton Patton, Moody and Lattimore (Gore's future replacement).

Gray have lots of potentails and an army swiss knife type player. I hope he doesn't slack off and shows his skills to make the team. I sure hope Nnamdi still have that fire and gas in the tank. Nnamdi's experience and skills would freaking solidify the DB postion. And I hope Patton developed into the type of WR who could be a multiple and annoying threat like Victor Cruz. I just want Moody to be that feared monster special team guy who could just dominate on kickoffs and punts.
[ Edited by MrCrab49ers on Jun 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM ]
All of them
So many to choose from. Obvious are Boldin and Dahl. But Cam Johnson coming back from an injury and Lockette would be nice too. Lockette looks like a baby TO and Johnson have the size to be a 3-4 OLBs. It will be tough to break in the OLB position.
Patton for sure and tank eventually
Wow..this is a fun and unfair question. I really can make a case for all of them, but I'm going to limit my choices to 3 longshots.

1. Cam Johnson- You can never have too many pass rushers and it would be great if Cam can make the squad and get in the rotation along with Haralson and Lemonier. If it's simply a numbers game but they like what they see in training camp and preseason he will probably have another year on the practice squad.

2. Marquis Gray- Potentially another dynamic player on this team. If McDonald demonstrates he can be a competent blocker, I think that increases Gray's chances of making the team.

3. Ricardo Lockette- His chances probably increased with the Crabtree injury, but with the speed element he brings, he certainly can take advantage of Colin Kaepernick's deep ball.
Patton cos he hangs out with Kaep
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
Unfortunately, the current 49ers squad, for the most part, is deep and set. So, which low draftees (4th Rnd>) or undrafted rookies or FAs are you hoping to make the team this year? Name at least 3 and why.

Mine would be Marqueis Gray, Nnamdi, Quinton Patton, Moody and Lattimore (Gore's future replacement).

Gray have lots of potentails and an army swiss knife type player. I hope he doesn't slack off and shows his skills to make the team. I sure hope Nnamdi still have that fire and gas in the tank. Nnamdi's experience and skills would freaking solidify the DB postion. And I hope Patton developed into the type of WR who could be a multiple and annoying threat like Victor Cruz. I just want Moody to be that feared monster special team guy who could just dominate on kickoffs and punts.

I think you meant to state Fortunately the 49ers starters are deep and set. It is best case scenario for rookies to not have to start from day 1.

Reid, the 1st round pick, and McDonald the second round pick, should see the most time barring injury. You cannot root for Lattimore as they already stated he will be on PUP and play in 2014.

I think Any player who makes it, will have earned it. Okoye is my long shot to make the 53 man roster with him beating out dial for a roster spot.
Better question is who are your favorites because we should be rooting for all to do well for the good of the team. I use to root for individual players a lot as well as the team but as I get older I see the bigger picture. I just root for the good of the team although I still have a few I like better than others but not over the team. If I had to answer I said months before the draft Patton was one of my favorite players in entire draft so obviously rooting for him. I wanted us to draft Lockette when he came out so rooting for him. Don't really have a favorite FA, hope they all do well.

P.S. Not sure this is the right words to use "Unfortunately, the current 49ers squad, for the most part, is deep and set." You might say unfortunately for the late round picks and UDFAs. I know what you mean but i wouldn't put it like that. Never a bad thing to have a deep squad.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jun 24, 2013 at 2:05 AM ]
B.J. Daniels - could be like Kordell Stewart back in the day. Dial - can always use big uglies on the Dline who are athletic. Osgood - improves ST and can be #3 receiver when needed. Craig Dahl - only FS with appreciable experience (even though Reid should beat him out). Not worried about Patton making team, he seems at least even with Jenkins.
Daniels- i see him making it to primary back up in a season or 2 but will also be used as rb , wr and maybe even returner.

Grey - versatile player who could play pretty much anywhere on ST and Offense

Nhamdi - like to see a bounce back year to solidify our dbs

One of the two CB's either the 7th rounder or D Morris (because we need some youthful depth at the position

Patton and Lattimore are givens you probably should have said 5th rd on. just my opinion

allz of dem.

Eric Reid
Reid first then QP for me. Also make sure Lattimore is ready when its time to break in the new stadium. I expect them all to do well though because let's face it, Ballke and Harbaugh are f**kING GENIUSES!
Lattimore #1 for me. Gotta love his humble nature, and hes gotta have that chip on his shoulder. Can think of no better eventual replacement for Gore. Once Gore retires, i would love to bring him back as an assistant coach, and continue the relationship.

I also wasnt all that high on Patton prior to the draft, but gotta love the kids attitude and already has some very cool storys, like flying out to SF early on his own dime, etc. Gotta love that.

I also like everything i have heard and seen of Mcdermott. I know its not popular to have him possibly replace LS jesus, but i had us drafting him in the late round.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Lattimore #1 for me. Gotta love his humble nature, and hes gotta have that chip on his shoulder. Can think of no better eventual replacement for Gore. Once Gore retires, i would love to bring him back as an assistant coach, and continue the relationship.

I also wasnt all that high on Patton prior to the draft, but gotta love the kids attitude and already has some very cool storys, like flying out to SF early on his own dime, etc. Gotta love that.

I also like everything i have heard and seen of Mcdermott. I know its not popular to have him possibly replace LS jesus, but i had us drafting him in the late round.

This is what Patton had to say as well that I liked.
"In college I used to talk a lot," he said. "Coming out here with the veterans, I've learned to shut up and get it done. I don't really say too much on the field."

On Boldin:
"He taught me some release techniques and everything because before he used to tell me that I pop straight up instead of staying level," Patton said. "I've been seeing results from that. When he's running his routes and I'm not running my routes, I tune in just to see how he does his routes because he's a successful receiver."

"I'll talk to Donte Whitner sometimes," Patton said. "I'll ask, 'What was that coverage you were in?' He'll tell me the coverage and how they were playing me and everything. And after practice every day I take four releases with Nnamdi Asomugha because he's a bigger corner and I know in this division there are a lot of bigger corners. I want to get used to it. And I help him out with (my) quickness and different techniques.
"I've seen major strides since the first time I got here."
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/patton-soaks-knowledge-49ers-veterans

Like I have said many times he was one of my favorites in the entire draft and since we drafted him he's impressed me even more. Saying and doing all the right things. I don't see why he can't be a star in the league.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
All of them

Yup. Root for the team and every member of it.
Share 49ersWebzone