LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

I have a Super Bowl 47 Question Can someone Help me??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When the Ravens took the safety to make the score 34-31 and then had to punt off from their 20 yard line, could the 49ers and Tedd Ginn called Fair catch around his own 30 yard line and could Akers have attempted a Free kick with no Rush?? In the NFL Rule Book this coulda happened right? Now I know Akers had an awful year but inside a Dome with no rush could Akers have possibly tied the game at 34 with a Free Kick somehow Boom it from about 75 yards out if Ginn woulda called Fair Catch?? Shoot this mighta worked???? to force Overtime Dang it I still cannot belive the 49ers lost that game Im still stunned!!!
of course. the clock doesn't start until the returner touches it so he could've fair caught it
Akers from 75? when he couldn't put it through the uprights from 35
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

I thought with a fair catch kick you can kick it like you are punting it by dropping it from your hands instead of like a field goal from the ground? So potentially Andy Lee could have booted it 75 yards through the uprights. Not like we haven't seen him boot it that far before. It would have been a long shot and it's probably smarter to just hope and prey that Ginn could run it back but who knows. They probably never practiced a 75 yarder before so it probably would have been futile anyway. In that desperate of a situation who knows though.
don't.remind.me.of.game.
Akers would of missed the kick even if he got a free kick from the 1 yard line
Ginn could have fair caught it and put the offense back on the field for a hail mary. . . . .

*must. go. take. pills. to stop. the pain.

He tied the league record with a 63 yarder last season, if you have forgotten.

Otherwise, Akers had a sh*t year.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

Right but on a free kick you can drop the ball from your hands like a punt right? Lee could have had a shot at that while Akers there was no chance.
i believe it would have to be a drop kick... so you would have to have the ball hit the ground and bounce up and then you can kick it. its not easy by any means.

flutie did it successfully back in the day but they were pretty close to the endzone.

if you simply just drop it and it dosent hit the ground first its counted as a punt and would not result in any points if it goes through the up rights.
[ Edited by VancouverNiner on Jun 17, 2013 at 8:15 PM ]

That 63 yard field goal made it over the post by a hair. No way he can make a ball go 75. No way.
Originally posted by VancouverNiner:
i believe it would have to be a drop kick... so you would have to have the ball hit the ground and bounce up and then you can kick it. its not easy by any means.

flutie did it successfully back in the day but they were pretty close to the endzone.

if you simply just drop it and it dosent hit the ground first its counted as a punt and would result in any points if it goes through the up rights.

Oh ok I misunderstood the rules. I was thinking you could blast it like a punt didn't know it had to hit the ground. That would have been damn near impossible. Better off letting Ginn get a crack at it.
Originally posted by VancouverNiner:

if you simply just drop it and it dosent hit the ground first its counted as a punt and would result in any points if it goes through the up rights.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Flutie did it on an extra point with New England. He was the last QB to do it, if I'm not mistaken.

Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

Right but on a free kick you can drop the ball from your hands like a punt right? Lee could have had a shot at that while Akers there was no chance.

But yeah, I think Lee would have a better chance at it then Akers. But it would've been an 81 yard free kick. Looking it up online, Ginn caught it at the 29 yard line. I think running it back for a TD were greater odds.

Still..... hurts....
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
letting precious seconds tick off when they ran that fake punt was a f**k up by the coaches,, everyone in the god damn world cept for our players knew it was coming,,,,, ahh god damn it all to hell,(cue charlton heston from the planet of the apes pounding the f**king sand)
Share 49ersWebzone