LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 161 users in the forums

Why our offense will be better this season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DVDA:
Lattimore will be held out this year unless one of the first three go down(Gore, Hunter, James).

Even then i think Dixon would be the next up. I dont want to see Lattimore at all this year. Just want him to get ready for the future
The Niners' offense will be very good as long as they remember they're a run-first team. If they start to get cute & try to go all Steve Young on 'em passing all the time, that's when the 3 & outs will start coming. They have 3 good RBs and one of the 3 or 4 best running QBs in the NFL (just don't get hurt doing it; there's no shame in sliding).

I'm optimistic that, by the end if the year, Vance McDonald will become a better in-line blocker than Walker was, which should keep the running game strong. Add Hunter to the mix and that might be the best or 2nd best running game in the NFL. It'll take Vance a while to get as good as Walker at blocking in space & in the 2nd level, but I'm optimistic he can get there with his great athletic ability, long arms & enormous size (he has 30+ pounds on Walker).

They don't have Leonard Davis as a swing TE in the jumbo package any more, but I'm sure Kilgore or Looney can fill that role. Or... maybe Lawrence Okoye will make the roster and play some blocking TE or even full back.
Originally posted by Squidp:
Originally posted by DVDA:
Lattimore will be held out this year unless one of the first three go down(Gore, Hunter, James).

Even then i think Dixon would be the next up. I dont want to see Lattimore at all this year. Just want him to get ready for the future

I think there's a better chance you'd see Jewell Hampton next up than Dixon. He's ready to go and he's a very Gore-like runner.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
and...7. Kap hasn't mastered the check-down pass

+1

With check-down passes being one of the best ways to get LeMichael James open in space.
Originally posted by mebemused:
+1

With check-down passes being one of the best ways to get LeMichael James open in space.

I'd say Kaep's league leading 8.3 YPA shows he does a pretty good job finding the right guy. Check downs are fine when there's no other options.

If we're planning for our offense to go through LaMichael James then we're in trouble.
Mebemused, when we drafted LMJ, I thot the whole idea was to use him as a sproles type of "receiver in the backfield", not just a safety valve. Instead he got used between the tackles, where we have more than adequate talent. JH and Trent draft for the next yr, not the current one....we've all heard that before. Does that mean we see LMJ in the backfield starting this yr on 3rd downs, and he is one of the primary targets? If not, I hate to say it, but I don't see why he was drafted, then. Sure he can run as a RB, but with a short little dink in the backfield, I am not sure there are many...if any, that can bring him down. Too shifty, too quick, too instant. He could be Darren sproles or Reggie bush, but better. I cannot wait for first game to see if that was indeed what JH and TB were thinking when they drafted him. IF so, look out for opposing Ds. They are gonna have their hands full.
Share 49ersWebzone