There are 199 users in the forums

Why our offense will be better this season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
out offense has a chance to become the NFL's most potent scoring machine , and heres why

our entire offensive line from last season is coming back , and there is still upside left in Iupati , Davis , Boone , Kilgore, Looney , Staley ..and we have solid veteran leadership in Goodwin and Snyder, and with Bruce Miller back at FB , we are going to bully a lot of defensive units with our punishing ground attack

the young offensive weapons on our roster will have a huge impact ...LMJ is a straight up playmaker and still getting better , Patton and Jenkins will get more snaps with Crabs out for awhile , Vance McDonald will help improve our running game , he has the size and strength to be a force blocking on the edge, plus he is big enough to be a dangerous redzone threat , Boldin , Davis, Gore and Hunter are the veterans that will be counted on to keep the offense moving smoothly.....and if Manningham and Williams come back healthy , that will be a huge bonus

and we have the most dynamic QB in the league who is capable of making the defense look foolish by making plays with his legs , and with his cannon for an arm he will utilize the weapons on the team and IMO , pass for 30+ TD's this year , Roman, Harbaugh and Chryst will have fun putting a lot of exotic packages on the field, our offense will not be easy to prepare for , as we have the potential to go smashmouth, Pistol , multiple formations, and run some vintage WCO plays, the skys the limit for our squad

the only question is who will be the #2 QB and # 3 TE? ...Will Scott Tolzien beat out Colt McCoy ?, or will BJ Daniels be the surprise of pre-season and win a roster spot? ...and who will step up and and claim the #3 TE job , Cam Morrah, Brent Celek OR Marqueis Gray? ...personally I am rooting for Gray to win the Job, he has the size ( 6-4 250 ) and speed to be a solid reserve TE , and as a former QB at Minnesota, he can be used in some interesting packages and become the swiss army knife Delanie Walker was to our offense, only bigger and faster .............and I'm sure Marcus Lattimore will see some time this year, not much, but a few plays to get his feet wet

I'm FIRED UP
[ Edited by NeeJ49er on Jun 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM ]
  • thl408
I kind of like the identity of a punishing ground attack. With the ability for the passing attack to be so explosive, it kind of takes away from the ground game. Going 70 yards in 6 plays (using explosive passing plays) is much different than going 70 yards in 12 plays (with a punishing ground attack). I hope that the 49ers' continue to use the ground attack as their foundation and not get caught up with the sexy passing offense. Kap should not ever have more than 35 passing attempts per game, as a general statement.
up to the coaches...against lesser teams we just lined up in big formations and tried to bully ...which contributed to some losses

which i don't mind , but at least do it with a lead first.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
up to the coaches...against lesser teams we just lined up in big formations and tried to bully ...which contributed to some losses

Absolutely. Some of the great teams from the past that had big, physical O-lines would get a lead and then just wear defenses down usually in the second half and just demoralize them. I'd like to see more of a Walsh approach in using a passing game to score points and get a lead and then use the running game to run out the clock and wear them down.
I agree, I see our offense doing great things this season. Kap having a full offseason as "the man," taking all
the first team reps and having the offense tweaked specifically for him is going to be a huge plus imo.
I don't see how it can't be better with the entire off season devoted to building the system around one QB. Last season the offense was kind of a work in progress. This season, it should be a more cohesive system. Kaepernick basically started off cold in the middle - thrown right in there. This season, he'll have the benefit of a full pre-season with the first unit. Last season, LaMichael James was integrated a little at a time - this season, they'll start right off with a set of plays designed for him as a change of pace back. This season Kaepernick gets the entire off season to build rapport with receivers. He didn't really have that last year. For lots of reasons, I expect the offense to look a lot better - not that it looked bad last year - but I expect it to be more consistently good.
Even with crabtree out for most of the season, i also do see this offense improving. I think that Kyle Williams might be flying under the radar. He might be coming off an injury, but he knows the plays, has great hands and is still quicker than a hiccup.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Reasons it can be better:
  • Kaep has more time to develop his skills
  • OL is young and hasn't peaked yet
  • Our new backup TE certainly can't drop more passes than Delanie

Reasons it can be worse:
  • best receiver is on IR
  • the rest of the receivers are aging, unproven, or coming off of injury
  • Frank Gore is a year older
  • Our new backup TE is a rookie and may not block as well as Delanie
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
meh.... we gonna be lucky to win 8 games
Originally posted by susweel:

In the first 9 games

Originally posted by NinerBuff:

In the first 9 games

including preseason
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Absolutely. Some of the great teams from the past that had big, physical O-lines would get a lead and then just wear defenses down usually in the second half and just demoralize them. I'd like to see more of a Walsh approach in using a passing game to score points and get a lead and then use the running game to run out the clock and wear them down.

Originally posted by thl408:
I kind of like the identity of a punishing ground attack. With the ability for the passing attack to be so explosive, it kind of takes away from the ground game. Going 70 yards in 6 plays (using explosive passing plays) is much different than going 70 yards in 12 plays (with a punishing ground attack). I hope that the 49ers' continue to use the ground attack as their foundation and not get caught up with the sexy passing offense. Kap should not ever have more than 35 passing attempts per game, as a general statement.

The best offenses are the ones that can do it both ways.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Agreed

We need Alex back, Kaep isn't ready yet
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Jun 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone