LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 204 users in the forums

*Strongside Pass Rush

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Hey you copied my order of faces! Not cool bro...

He may not replace brooks this year but I do see it happening sometime in the NEAR future. You guys keep acting like I'm saying he will be a day 1 starter, come on we all know better than that. I just see the drafting of tank and lemonier as competition and a need to improve our pass rush this year and next.

Believe me I do recognize how important brooks is to our defense, I just don't think he is as important as you guys are making him out to be. Like I said I think he wasn't even in the top 5 of level of importance to our defense last year.

I never talked about benching brooks, not this year at least. I said that I think lemonier is getting groomed to be brooks successor, either at the end of this year or sometime next year.

Your right it is def encouraging that all of our linebackers are all-pro caliber players. I just don't see what exactly makes brooks an all-pro caliper player. I think that brooks is asked to do less than you all are making it out to be. When you line up with willis bowman and the smiths as well as the safeties we had last year, you don't have to do as much as someone in a lesser defense would.

I copied them on purpose; thought it was cool.

Ok. You never said that Lemonier would replace Brooks, but you asked, "Do you see tank and lemoneir taking over for brooks and mcdonald this year?" And immediately after asking the question you claimed that his pass rushing ability is horrendous.

I guess I got confused.

I am glad to hear that you are not suggesting that Lemonier replace Brooks this year.

No but wait, you still think that it could happen in the near future, and the near future could arrive at the end of this year, don't you?

I am still confused, but that is nothing new. Look, I am willing to see what happens.

By the end of next year, we will have a better idea.

I do not have any idea what will happen in 2014, but Lemonier might replace Brooks in 2014, but it might not happen until 2015. Again, we will see.

I understand that you do see what made Brooks an All Pro, but for me that is not very relevant. I find it more relevant that Brooks is second team All Pro. That is fact. In my humble opinion, Brooks merits respect than you are willing to give him.

By the way, I am only one person. I am not you guys or you all. Like you, I am only one person expressing his opinion.

You and I disagree. No big deal.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:

Ok. You never said that Lemonier would replace Brooks, but you asked, "Do you see tank and lemoneir taking over for brooks and mcdonald this year?" And immediately after asking the question you claimed that his pass rushing ability is horrendous.

I guess I got confused.

I am glad to hear that you are not suggesting that Lemonier replace Brooks this year.

No but wait, you still think that it could happen in the near future, and the near future could arrive at the end of this year, don't you?

I am still confused, but that is nothing new. Look, I am willing to see what happens.

I do not have any idea what will happen in 2014, but Lemonier might replace Brooks in 2014, but it might not happen until 2015. Again, we will see.

I understand that you do see what made Brooks an All Pro, but for me that is not very relevant. I find it more relevant that Brooks is second team All Pro. That is fact. In my humble opinion, Brooks merits respect than you are willing to give him.

By the way, I am only one person. I am not you guys or you all. Like you, I am only one person expressing his opinion.

Yeah LATE this year bud, I meant I don't see him taking over from day 1 this year but I can see him taking over LATE this year. I only used the word horrendous to get people's attention, but I def. exaggerated on that one. I wasn't talking to just you when I said you guys are acting like I'm saying he will take over from day one, I was addressing all the people that thought I was saying this. I didn't think I had to tell you that I was addressing more than one person but next time I will do so. That way you don't get confused.

Obviously you are willing to see what happens as you really don't have a choice in the matter, like the rest of us.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Sure, nothing wrong with a civilized good debate to help cover all the bases. This isn't a Raider, Hawk or KC fan forum here! LOL

True, Tony's hands are ridiculous. If Roman every learns to use VD properly, get him involved early and often like Jerry Rice, it would open up everything for the offense. You can line him out at the X or Z, or in the slot /Y, up the LOS ofd tackle, from the Q formation (backfield), etc.; like how the Rams used Amendola, we can use VD the same way and really soften up a defenses. It's on Roman to use his players better...like Fangio with the 4 LB's.

Let me help you a bit on Brooks. His sacks and pressures and hits are typically top 3 on the team whether starting or not. As to coverage, this is a big misnomer IMHO. Brooks, when asked to drop back is NOT required to match up 1on1 on RB's, WR's or TE's. His job and responsibility is to 1) recognize the offensive play 2) diagnose it and his responsibility and 3) drop back in zone coverage if a pass or the RB/TE flares out. This means that he has coverage for a specific portion of the field until that receiver passes into another's zone. His coverage is very good. The problem is with the other LB's or CB's and S's. For instance, let's say he is to have outside coverage/containment on the receiver but the MLB or S/CB is supposed to have the inside coverage. If the pass is completed inside, it may "look" like he gave up a pass. The most common issue is that we've had terrible top coverage (ask our outside CB's) and if Brooks has the underneath zone...he often times has no help over the top. Rarely is he ever in man-to-man coverage. Aldon is the more "athletic" OLB and has a 20 ft wing span...ask yourself how often you see him drop in coverage. Most is b/c the TE lines up on Brooks side and b/c Brooks is much more accomplished in coverage (and we want Aldon rushing the passer from the blind side).

I don't know who called him a sideline-to-sideline LB but he did start his career as an ILB so he has range and speed esp. for a man his size. There should be no circumstance where he'd need to be a sideline-to-sideline player. That said, if you find a sideline-to-sideline SAFETY, please let Baalke know ASAP. We need one badly!!!!

That's a fair point on his age. Most of these guys can play well into their low-mid 30's though so I wouldn't be too worried about it esp. if we can establish someone training in the background and spelling him...a win-win for us now and into the future. Brooks will do whatever he can to train this youngster.

No doubt the short offseason helped bring Aldon along slowly but this is a theme we see with the 49ers anyhow, no matter how talented or what round they were drafted in. They need to be ready. Even then, I think you are minimizing the complexity of the LBs in a 3-4 defense and how long it takes to know your assignments. If he was a DE like Tank/Okoye, OK, you're not risking as much on the training curve (b/c of who you have around and behind them) but the OLB's are THE playmakers in a 3-4 and they have a lot of responsibilities.

Haralson is very weak in the pass rush department, in coverage and he's not even stellar at sealing the edge. He does excel at diagnosing plays (experience) and is a pretty sure-tackler. He's stout against the run and plays off blocks well. But unfortunately, for the WILL position in particular, we need MUCH more from this player. This is why I expect to see quite a dog fight between Haralson, Lemonier, Flemining and Johnson. Bring it on!

It's not that Brooks is double-teamed, it's that the opposition is focusing on him which opens up Aldon on the blind side. There have been teams that have tried switching alignments to Aldon's side to but primarily, it's on Brooks side, far and away. To face double-teams in the QB's sight line while playing off and through them while still getting QB pressures, hits, sacks at crucial moments is monumental. We shouldn't minimize that. How many more sacks do you think Aldon would have playing the SAM...what would the drop off be at crucial times of the game, in play recognition and run defense, TFL, etc? If you're objective, you'd go from a 19.5 sack guy down significantly mainly b/c of how teams would play him and he'd have to "think" a lot more and quicker.

You are assuming that b/c Brooks takes every snap he is getting a chance to rush the passer. First, it has to be a pass where his assignment is to rush the passer (TE, RB stays in, 3rd and long, etc.). Second, is he off the LOS, standing up, or does he have his hand in the dirt as a LDE next to McDonald. Is he on a delayed blitz? Is his assignment to stunt and occupy two for McDonald? Its way more complicated than you think. His job is basically to rush the passer en route to diagnosing the play (pass or run and who and where to drop back) disengaging the blockers and chasing down the QB in his sight line. On Aldon's side, it's basically, seek-and-destroy with Justin tying up two guys (either inside or outside) from the QB's blind side. This isn't Madden and you won't find many straight-up SAM's (like ours) with 10 sacks. We just don't run that type of scheme. Period. And yes, Brooks does drop back in zone coverage a lot.

I meant Lemonier looks like a clone of Brooks in terms of his build. If he, like Willis/Bowman, were to put on a 55, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. As to that, doesn't that tell you about what Baalke wants at the SAM? He didn't go out and get a tall, lean, athletic freak of a DE converting to an OLB pass rusher. He went out and got another Brooks who is big, strong, physical, can play off blocks, is stout against the run, athletic enough to provide consistent pressure and drop back in zone...has to be smart, take great angles, play off his DE's, occupy 2 OL for others, etc.

I agree about Rogers unless he decides to man-up this year under the microscope and d/t the pressure of Nnamdi/Culliver. But Brooks and McDonald have at least two more great years in them. I genuinely think giving these two guys plus Justin some serious breathers will make a ton of difference down the stretch. Taking 97% of the snaps and fighting through constant double-teams is very taxing...we are very lucky McDonald and Brook's injuries haven't been more serious.

No question Aldon is the better of the two pass rushers...heck, he may be top 3 in the entire NFL but my point is, his assignments would be very different at the SAM in "our defense." Ideally, and what I have always wanted, I'd love to see Aldon and Brooks free to rush from both sides and even line up at MIKE or TED and rush inside from there as well...use them interchangeably. I'd love to see Fangio ID weaknesses in an opposition's OL and attack them all game long, inside and out. But sadly, we don't play that way...we play vanilla, straight up, the anti-exotic 3-4. This is MUCH easier for the OL to study the OLB's and scheme towards blocking assignment. Teams don't worry much about the inside LB blitz or S and CB blitz or the 4 LB's working interchangeably.

I come from the old San Diego Chargers theory of using your best pass rushers back off the LOS to get a running start and plow over OT's or dip and blow past them with speed, quickness, moves, etc. They used to take Merriman standing up and he'd walk back and forth (like a tiger sizing up how he'll get out of his cage) behind the DL, deciding what gap to exploit (working in conjunction with the DL). The Jets used to run the most exotic 3-4...Pittsburgh...Pats. We just don't do that even though I think we'd be highly successful with it.

If you are expecting a rookie to come in at the SAM position and get close to 10 sacks in our defense, you may need to put the controller down and turn Madden off (kidding). Whether it's coming off the bench in pass rush situations or starting, expect the SAM to continue to produce 5-7 sacks with consistent pressures and hits, knock down passes, stellar edge-sealing, TFL, zone coverage and play recognition.

If I ever implied that Lemonier was going to come in and IMMEDIATELY be an upgrade over brooks than I was def. wrong, but I don't think I ever said that. I think this year he will spell brooks and maybe take over late in the season. More than likely it won't happen until next season though. I do think when he picks up the defense and has a full season that he could produce 10 sacks in a year. I also think he can get 70-80 tackles a year and get more turnovers than brooks does.

Although Lemonier isn't tall and lean, he will be converted from a DE to OLB just like aldon. He might not be as quick as aldon was coming out of college but he is athletic and strong. 4.6 40 30 reps of 225. I do think he was brought in to be a pass rusher.

You say that we run a pretty straight forward VANILLA defense so wouldn't that be a little bit easier to learn than a complex and diverse defense such as pittsburg? Again quarterback is a lot more difficult of a position to grasp than olb. I do however agree that we give our guys time to mature and learn the position before throwing them out there. But if this guy can catch on quickly and pick it up than what's going to stop him?

What you say about brooks pretty much applies to all olb linebackers on running downs and although brooks has more assignments than aldon, he doesn't have as many as willis or bowman. I think part of it is that aldon is so good at getting after the qb that fangio doesn't want him dropping back in coverage NOT that he can't do it well enough. His run d and coverage is much improved from his rookie year. All outside linebackers have to chip the tight end at times, provide constant pressure, knock down passes, set the edge, recognize plays, and drop back in coverage. I think aldon isn't too far behind in anything else other than play recognition and why would he be close? It was only his second year last year.

I don't think I have to argue that bowman and willis are better in coverage than brooks. Yes they have inside responsibility but if brooks let's a tight end get inside in a pretty quick period of time than it makes it hard for willis and bowman to close that gap. Again I don't think brooks is very fast. He might be fast for his size but if you compare his lateral quickness and straight line speed to other linebackers on the team and in the league than he would be mediocre.

I agree that players can go into their mid 30's without a problem, but if you have a guy that is more athletic than brooks (not saying lemonier is but he could be) and is younger than why not give him some starting experience once he gets the playbook down? Even if he isn't as polished it will be better for you in the future.

OLB's aren't the only "playmakers" in the 3-4 btw. I think you were referring to 4-3 defensive ends being the playmakers in their defense so I do get what your saying.

I also don't think the opposition focuses on brooks. I think they game plan more for aldon smith, pat, navaro, and others than they do for brooks. I think brooks flys under the radar like he does with MOST football fans. NOT HERE ON THE WEBZONE, where IMO he is a BIT overrated.

I understand that it is a bit more complex than I'm making it out to be, but your acting like every down aldon and Justin just have to bull rush. They have their assignments too.

I'm going to go back to playing madden, where Wilkerson is my LE and Suggs is my LOLB. haha
[ Edited by JimDrinkAMiller on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:48 PM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I liked Goldson, but I haven't been as high on him as a lot of people around here. I thought his coverage skills had gone down quite a bit and I got real tired of him extending opposition drives what seemed like at least once a game with bone-headed unnecessary helmet hits for 15 yards and a first down. Plus, I actually think the safety who plays as an "enforcer" is on the way out in the NFL. I think defenses are going to have to move towards tight coverage skills and give up this aspect of trying to jar balls loose with big hits at the moment of ball contact. They're just starting to call too many 15-yarders on those plays and we all probably understand why that his happening. But, as far as Goldson is concerned, I'll actually be surprised if he makes a big difference in Tampa Bay. He's definitely not going to have the benefit of such a strong front 7 in Tampa. On the other hand, he's got Revis there with him in the backfield. We'll see.

I'm not super high on goldson either, but I do think he was a good player. Top 5 maybe not. I do think he was more productive at his position than brooks or mac however. I think he will do ok in tampa, maybe not as well as he did here in SF but I don't think he will do bad. I'm going to miss watching him take opposing players heads off. I do agree with you, they're making it less and less of a contact sport every year... makes it tough for players who have been trained to hit a certain way their entire career.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I guess I got confused.

Yeah LATE this year bud, I meant I don't see him taking over from day 1 this year but I can see him taking over LATE this year. I only used the word horrendous to get people's attention, but I def. exaggerated on that one. I wasn't talking to just you when I said you guys are acting like I'm saying he will take over from day one, I was addressing all the people that thought I was saying this. I didn't think I had to tell you that I was addressing more than one person but next time I will do so. That way you don't get confused.

Obviously you are willing to see what happens as you really don't have a choice in the matter, like the rest of us.
Barring injury, I do not see Lemonier taking over for Brooks in 2014.

I have said, and will say again, I like the Lemonier. We needed depth at outside linebacker, and I think he will provide that.
In the future, he is a likely candidate to replace Brooks. I think we agree on that.

We disagree on when that future will arrive. That is a relatively minor disagreement.

And yeah, bud, the word horrendous certainly got my attention.
I think we drafted Brooks replacement but I dont think its this year. It just doeant make sense to replace a guy that your paying 5mil. No they're going to give Lemo a year to bulk and adapt. I don't think were cutting brooks because hes bad. In fact even if Lemonier was marginally worse than Brooks i think he still gets cut at the end of the year. Iupati, kaep, aldon, and crab are not going to be cheap and lets face it we can sacrifice Brooks and personally I think in a couple of years Lemo will be considered an upgrade.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I think we drafted Brooks replacement but I dont think its this year. It just doeant make sense to replace a guy that your paying 5mil. No they're going to give Lemo a year to bulk and adapt. I don't think were cutting brooks because hes bad. In fact even if Lemonier was marginally worse than Brooks i think he still gets cut at the end of the year. Iupati, kaep, aldon, and crab are not going to be cheap and lets face it we can sacrifice Brooks and personally I think in a couple of years Lemo will be considered an upgrade.

I wasn't saying brooks would get replaced immediately this year, but sometime later in the year. I agree it doesn't make sense to cut brooks this year as his cap figure isn't that significant and we aren't in cap trouble. I was saying possibly next year or the following he will either get cut or restructure. I don't think we cut brooks because he is bad either. Your probably the only person that I am on the same page with. I think lemo could eventually be an upgrade over brooks as well. The money that brooks makes would be better invested in the 4 that you mentioned above.
  • buck
  • Veteran
The most recent chat with Matt Barrows had many questions about our linebacking corps. Here they are. I think I got all of them, but not sure.

Comment From DC Steve

How has Cory Lemonair looked and what is deal with his signing?

MattB_49:

Have no idea why the signing has been held up. I can't get in touch with his agent (Maybe that's why the signing has been held up). He looks good, fluid in coverage. He's definitely more linear (Manny Lawson-like) than any other OLB on the roster. He moves well in space. the question is how will he hold up against, say, Anthony Davis when the pads come on.

Comment From omar (VA)

Who is better in coverage (Not today) but year 2 Lemioniar vs Brooks Next year. Interested because Lemionar ran that 4.6 and I've read he's pretty good in coverage

MattB_49:
Coverage is not a very important trait for 49ers outside linebackers. they mostly have to be able to drop into space. Pass rush and stopping the run are far more critical.

Comment From omar (VA)

Follow up - With that being said (pass rush) and (stopping the run), How would you rank Ahmed Brooks, Ive seen every game since he's signed but i'm not a football guru so its tough for me to gage Out of 1-10.

MattB_49:

I thought Brooks was the better OLB during the playoffs. It seemed that whenever the 49ers absolutely needed a big play, it was Brooks who delivered. Obviously, the fact that he and Ray McDonald were healthier than Smith and Smith played a big factor ...

Comment From jb

any parys harlson (sp?) sightings?

MattB_49:

Again, it's hard to make judgments about d-line, linebackers during OTAs. Having said that, Haralson looks good to me. He seems very energetic and perhaps a bit lighter than he's been in the past. he really seems to be champing at the bit after missing all of last season.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/04/5471345/live-chat-last-week-of-otas-for.html

The comment about Haralson is good news. It would be nice to see us with a solid 4 deep rotation at OLB.
Is this thread still going on? Unbelievable!
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Is this thread still going on? Unbelievable!

Is it that bad of a thread?
Sorry for wasting everybody's time if that's the case but again you don't have to look at it.

The most recent chat with Matt Barrows had many questions about our linebacking corps. Here they are. I think I got all of them, but not sure.

Comment From DC Steve

MattB_49:

Have no idea why the signing has been held up. I can't get in touch with his agent (Maybe that's why the signing has been held up). He looks good, fluid in coverage. He's definitely more linear (Manny Lawson-like) than any other OLB on the roster. He moves well in space. the question is how will he hold up against, say, Anthony Davis when the pads come on.

Comment From omar (VA)

Who is better in coverage (Not today) but year 2 Lemioniar vs Brooks Next year. Interested because Lemionar ran that 4.6 and I've read he's pretty good in coverage

MattB_49:
Coverage is not a very important trait for 49ers outside linebackers. they mostly have to be able to drop into space. Pass rush and stopping the run are far more critical.

Comment From omar (VA)

Follow up - With that being said (pass rush) and (stopping the run), How would you rank Ahmed Brooks, Ive seen every game since he's signed but i'm not a football guru so its tough for me to gage Out of 1-10.

MattB_49:

I thought Brooks was the better OLB during the playoffs. It seemed that whenever the 49ers absolutely needed a big play, it was Brooks who delivered. Obviously, the fact that he and Ray McDonald were healthier than Smith and Smith played a big factor ...

Comment From jb

MattB_49:

Again, it's hard to make judgments about d-line, linebackers during OTAs. Having said that, Haralson looks good to me. He seems very energetic and perhaps a bit lighter than he's been in the past. he really seems to be champing at the bit after missing all of last season.

The comment about Haralson is good news. It would be nice to see us with a solid 4 deep rotation at OLB.

thanks for the info buck-o. I like how he avoided the question about who is better in coverage lol. I can't wait for the season bud, we are so stacked all over the depth chart. Just hoping a lot of our injured guys will be full-go by the start of the regular season.

BTW I wasn't trying to hurt any feelings over brooks, I was just thinking of things that can be upgraded this season and in the future. Brooks and mac are very solid players but IMO they are short of being great. I really do hope they prove me wrong. If they are all-pro caliper players this year than I don't see teams scoring more than 14 points a game on us. Even if our defense is on the field more due to our improved offense.

Idk what your feelings are about reid but I really liked that pick-up. I read his GPA was off the charts but that doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to the football field.
Not to mention Brooks has been known to bat down a few balls
  • buck
  • Veteran

Comment From DC Steve

MattB_49:

Comment From omar (VA)

MattB_49:

Comment From omar (VA)

MattB_49:

Comment From jb

MattB_49:

thanks for the info buck-o. I like how he avoided the question about who is better in coverage lol. I can't wait for the season bud, we are so stacked all over the depth chart. Just hoping a lot of our injured guys will be full-go by the start of the regular season.

BTW I wasn't trying to hurt any feelings over brooks, I was just thinking of things that can be upgraded this season and in the future. Brooks and mac are very solid players but IMO they are short of being great. I really do hope they prove me wrong. If they are all-pro caliper players this year than I don't see teams scoring more than 14 points a game on us. Even if our defense is on the field more due to our improved offense.

Idk what your feelings are about reid but I really liked that pick-up. I read his GPA was off the charts but that doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to the football field.

Your welcome. Here is a question Matt Maiocco chat.

CadeMatthews

Has LeMonier made any waves as of yet? Do you expect him to be a contributor this year or will he be a "redshirt" candidate

MaioccoCSN

He is learning outside linebacker. He appears to have good pass-rush moves, but it'll be difficult for him to get on the field with Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks lining up as outside pass-rushers. I think he'll make the 53-man roster but will see limited time unless there's an injury and he's needed to step him.

By the way, you have never hurt my feelings. It just seems that I think Brooks is a much better player than you do.

I think Eric Reid was a good pick. I have no problem with trading up to get him.
His intelligence and work habits are excellent. He has good physical skills.

I expect him to be a starter, most likely at the beginning of the year.

I dont think he avoided it to make anyone look good though, I think it is more just pointing out how our defense works so far. I dont think either of our current starters at OLB are that great at coverage but Brooks is above Aldon in coverage, hell if Lemonier is great in coverage it puts one more weapon on our D where we can use it.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

I dont think he avoided it to make anyone look good though, I think it is more just pointing out how our defense works so far. I dont think either of our current starters at OLB are that great at coverage but Brooks is above Aldon in coverage, hell if Lemonier is great in coverage it puts one more weapon on our D where we can use it.

That's what I took from it. He wasn't avoiding the question he was just pointing out that our OLB's simply aren't ever asked to play man coverage, so it's a moot point. They are asked to drop into zone sometimes but that doesn't happen often.
Share 49ersWebzone