LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

Is It Time To Identify A Franchise WR ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Id rather have multiple solid receivers than just one playmaker as well. Makes the D liable for everyone running downfield. Its easy to focus on one guy, for example, when we played Detroit and made Meagtron almost non-existent. U agree that Jenkins, Patton and Williams will be huge contributors this year.

Well, I am not saying the other receivers can't make plays. In any case, even with Crab, he is getting the ball 3 x more than anyone else as it stands. I am not suggesting get a super WR and just throw to him, but perhaps a more rounded guy and in particular someone who can play the deep ball and make red zone plays which is not Crab's strong suit and is currently lacking in our WR play.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Originally posted by English:
JJ Stokes stepped up?

For a #3rd string WR he was forced into a #2 role (behind T.O.) and had 60 Receptions and 800 Yards if I'm not mistaken..... To me, that's stepping up because nobody expected much from him at that point. Take it for what it's worth I guess but the point is our team has a long history of replacing star players from within... Call me an optimist.

A 3rd string receiver? That cost us two first round picks? Uh hu..
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It'll be fun getting updates on the comp between Jenkins, Lockette and Patton. Something to look forward to.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mayo49:
It'll be fun getting updates on the comp between Jenkins, Lockette and Patton. Something to look forward to.

yea, see which one drops the least amount of passes.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Exactly, who catches them and who drops them.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran

Hmm let's see. He was drafted high, true but didn't live up to First Round hype and plummeted in the depth chart quickly. If I recall, we drafted him to play opposite Jerry after John Taylor retired but he never caught on. Then we took T.O. the following season ('96) in the 3rd round and he beat out J.J. for the #2 job. So YES, heading into the 1997 season, J.J. Stokes was a 3rd string WR. Am I missing something?
Originally posted by SaksV:

Hmm let's see. He was drafted high, true but didn't live up to First Round hype and plummeted in the depth chart quickly. If I recall, we drafted him to play opposite Jerry after John Taylor retired but he never caught on. Then we took T.O. the following season ('96) in the 3rd round and he beat out J.J. for the #2 job. So YES, heading into the 1997 season, J.J. Stokes was a 3rd string WR. Am I missing something?

Yes. The stepping up. Duh.
There is I in team
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Who do you think will win ? I am inclined to say Ricardo.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
if AJ can't beat out Lockette and Patton, he's officially a bust. cut his ass.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:

Who do you think will win ? I am inclined to say Ricardo.

I think it'll be between Lockette and Jenkins. Still rooting for the rook, too.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
if AJ can't beat out Lockette and Patton, he's officially a bust. cut his ass.

No kidding. LOL.
Noob-tastic these off-season threads be...
  • thl408
Top WRs command top dollar. This team is built in the trenches with all the ancillary pieces having cost effective production. Once Kap makes them a star, they will leave for big money and the FO will have to find a cheaper, younger replacement. Goes back to "can't pay everyone". The salary structure of the team will take a huge turn when Kap and Aldon get their money. No room to pay a WR top dollar. I'd rather keep the money invested in Kap and protecting Kap (Oline).

Among this year's draft-eligible receiver prospects with at least 100 targets in 2012, Louisiana Tech's Quinton Patton had the best (lowest) drop rate at 0.9 percent.

Patton dropped just three balls among 158 senior-year targets.
Share 49ersWebzone